Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After a too long winter slumber.....

Art

Today, the 1,000-pound smoker gets fired up for its first cook of the year. Four racks of baby backs. Did a couple of grills during the winter, but no smokes. Today, despite rain, we're giving the rig a nice spring beginning :).

Art, you and I am "one of a kind."

I fired up my smoker yesterday as well.

Ahhhh, the first one of the season is always the best.

Smoked me some ribs (with hickory) and then a beer can chicken (with Bud and Mesquite).

Damn, my mouth is watering just talking about it.

Beer can Chicken...mmmmmmmmmmmmm

1 whole chicken

1 tall can o' beer (16 oz. tallboy)

olive oil

4 cloves garlic crushed

salt and pepper

your favorite beer (for marinating the chef!)

seasoning for chicken (or use a seasoning blend or your own favorites):

4 cloves garlic, crushed

fresh basil

a pinch of cayenne

salt and pepper

Start with a hot grill (coals all white and ready to cook). Drink about 1/4 of that can of beer. Set it aside 3/4 full and have a couple of full ones, real beer this time—no sissy canned stuff.

Get the chicken ready for cookin'. Trim some of the fat, get rid of the giblets (here kitty kitty!). Rub liberally with your favorite meat rub. I prefer olive oil, basil, lots of fresh pressed garlic, salt, and a pinch of cayenne. Some folks like Zartarain's or some such store bought concoction, but whatever.

Get a can opener or some such tool and open up the top of the can and drop in the crushed garlic.

Oil up the can and lower that chicken over top of it. The beer can goes into the chicken's body cavity and allows the bird to stand upright.

Cover your grill and cook the chicken until its wings are loose and the skin turns clear.

Mesquite with chicken is a master's call man. You can overpower chicken with Mesquite. I've stayed away from that. I did the ribs with white oak and cherry. Came out splendidly, though, I do the ribs differently than some. I hang them at 135-150 for about two hours. This has the effect of drying them out some, sucking the fat out and almost giving them a jerky quality. Then, I move them to the main chamber for four to six hours depending at 225. They come out tender, but not falling from the bone, and have a bit of an outer chewy jerky quality :).

Originally posted by Art

Mesquite with chicken is a master's call man. You can overpower chicken with Mesquite. I've stayed away from that. I did the ribs with white oak and cherry. Came out splendidly, though, I do the ribs differently than some. I hang them at 135-150 for about two hours. This has the effect of drying them out some, sucking the fat out and almost giving them a jerky quality. Then, I move them to the main chamber for four to six hours depending at 225. They come out tender, but not falling from the bone, and have a bit of an outer chewy jerky quality :).

Art, I have done it before, with great results. I have even brought some to tailgate partys at FedEx, and everyone LOVED it.

If you don't know what you are doing, you can "overpower" it, like I did when I first tried it. It took a few times to get the right flavor.

Apple is my favorite wood to use on chicken, but I was out of that, so you work with what you got.:D

SF44,

I'm going to do chicken or turkey this weekend. Going to use Olive wood. Haven't tried it, but I hear it's flavor is just like Mesquite, but it isn't as harsh so it marries well with poultry. And, it burns hot and long so I may go with it as the primary heat source :).

Riggins,

I bought my smoker. I've no skill making things :).

Been doing a little que'n down here. Mostly steaks on oak and mesquite. Smoked a boneless prime rib roast a month ago. It was cooked perfect for our taste, rare to the side of medium in approximately 6 hours.

Weather has been great for outdoor activities. Hit daytime high of 102 degrees Fahrenheit on March 18th.

Archived