Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Strange omission from our best friend Lenny P

At the bottom of the following article, Lenny the Fat includes a list of restricted free agents who might command attention from other teams. He lists several marginal players but completely ignores Darnerian, not to mention Bryan Johnson. But Darnerian is a glaring omission, as he's better than half the guys on this list. Lenny strikes again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1760036

For those who don't feel like opening the link, here's his list:

DE Marques Douglas, Baltimore (draft pick compensation: none): Former undrafted free agent had played in just eight games, with one start, before starting all 16 contests in '03. He had 89 tackles and 4½ sacks playing in the Ravens' 3-4 front, and might emerge even more in a conventional 4-3 scheme. Seems on the cusp, at age 27, of becoming a player who could notch 8-10 sacks annually. One caveat is that the Ravens are flush with salary cap room and might match, without even thinking hard, any offer sheet he signed.

RB Correll Buckhalter, Philadelphia (compensation: fourth): As with Douglas, there is every indication the cap-rich Eagles would match any offer made to the part-time starter. Still, the former Nebraska star merits consideration, especially since he is now two years removed from the knee surgery that wiped out his 2002 campaign and demonstrated no lingering effects of the operation in 2003. Rushed for eight touchdowns on just 126 carries last year and is a tough, slashing runner who will consistently average 4.3-4.5 yards per carry.

CB Renaldo Hill, Arizona (compensation: seventh): Not as tall or physical as some teams want but, in first season as full-time starter, had five interceptions and 11 passes defensed in 2003. Also had 58 tackles, so some indication he will come up and play the run. In a picked-over unrestricted market at cornerback, might be a modest alternative for a team looking to add a No. 2 or "nickel" guy.

LB Matt Stewart, Atlanta (compensation: fourth): Former Vanderbilt star has started 29 games over past two seasons, averaged 93 tackles, totaled 5½ sacks. A very good two-way defender who might be a tad lighter than most teams like at the strong-side spot, but who plays well at times in reverse, possesses some blitz skills and has a good motor.

C Matt Lehr, Dallas (compensation: fifth): Might be a little short, at 6-feet-2, but has good pop coming off the line and is mechanically sound. Started all 16 games at center in 2003, after getting just four starts his first two seasons. Can also play guard.

FS Marlon McCree, Houston (compensation: seventh): Started 27 games his first two seasons in Jacksonville, then was waived early last year when he didn't fit in well with the new staff. Wisely plucked off the waiver wire by the Texans, quickly bumped Matt Stevens from the lineup, and ended up starting 11 games and posting 59 tackles. Lacks great range, but a good hitter and will get around the football.

OG Bennie Anderson, Baltimore (compensation: none): The former XFL player has started 44 games in three seasons and, while he doesn't get the respect he deserves, is a tough-minded guy and pure road grader. Doesn't always play as big as his size (345 pounds), but has better hands and overall technique than most people think.

SS Jarrod Cooper, Carolina (compensation: fifth): Might never be anything more than a standout special teams player and has had some off-field problems in the past, so there is some risk there. A big hitter, but has never started a game in his career. Might emerge as a "nickel" safety in time.

CB/FS Jamie Henderson, N.Y. Jets (compensation: fourth): Has started just one game in three seasons, and been hampered by injuries at times, and both are concerns. But if he can stay healthy, and project even to a "nickel" cornerback spot, former Georgia standout might be worth a look. Began his career at safety and Jets coaches keep trying to turn him into a corner because he has the kind of size (6-feet-2, 202) difficult to find at the position.

WR Cedrick Wilson, San Francisco (compensation: sixth): Very quick and, despite lack of size, doesn't get jammed very often. Playing time was expanded in '03 and responded with career-best 35 catches. Not a gamebreaker, as evidenced by an 11.3-yard average, but would be a very good No. 3 wideout for a lot of teams and can also return kickoffs.

WR Alex Bannister, Seattle (compensation: fifth): Only seven receptions in three years, but might develop into No. 3 wide receiver and, at his size (6-feet-5, 207), might be a prime "red zone" target. Averaged over 20 yards per catch in '03, so some signs that he has playmaking skills. What makes him even more attractive, though, is his brilliance on special teams, and he was named to Pro Bowl in that capacity.

RB Dominic Rhodes, Indianapolis (compensation: none): Only undrafted free agent ever to rush for 1,000 yards as a rookie (in 2001) and, after missing all of 2002 with knee injury, bounced back nicely last season. Played mostly in goal-line and short-yardage situations but certainly could have a bigger role elsewhere.

DE Marques Douglas, Baltimore (draft pick compensation: none): Former undrafted free agent had played in just eight games, with

one start, before starting all 16 contests in '03. He had 89 tackles and 4½ sacks playing in the Ravens' 3-4 front, and might emerge even more in a conventional 4-3 scheme. Seems on the cusp, at age 27, of becoming a player who could notch 8-10 sacks annually. One caveat is that the Ravens are flush with salary cap room and might match, without even thinking hard, any offer sheet he signed.

Whats the word on this guy? 27 seems a little old, but we need a pass rusher. And would we owe any compensation for getting him?

WR Alex Bannister, Seattle (compensation: fifth): Only seven receptions in three years, but might develop into No. 3 wide receiver and, at his size (6-feet-5, 207), might be a prime "red zone" target. Averaged over 20 yards per catch in '03, so some signs that he has playmaking skills. What makes him even more attractive, though, is his brilliance on special teams, and he was named to Pro Bowl in that capacity.

I think Lenny rides the short bus to work. He caught 3 passes this year. On what planet is that enough to make his average yards per reception relevant?

Originally posted by Zen-like Todd

I think Lenny rides the short bus to work. He caught 3 passes this year. On what planet is that enough to make his average yards per reception relevant?

Agreed, that has to be one of his all-time most ludicrous claims.

Correll Buckhalter. You have got to be kidding me.

He has shown absolutely nothing that he is ready to be a featured back. I guess if you're looking for depth, he might be fine.

Cripes, Philly has been looking for a full-time RB, and Reid still can't stand to give this guy the ball. So, Lenny, either Reid is stupid or you are - which is it?

Originally posted by Old Glory

I wouldn't mind adding Buckhalter and getting rid of Betts and Cannidate.

We would be improved overall in our backfield if we did that.

Our backfield is perfect without canidate. Betts will thrive on third downs under Joe and backing up portis. As for D-MAC...I think a lurking team, namely the Eagles is waiting until one week prior to the deadline to offer him a high dollar sheet so the skins strapped for cap space can't match. That would solidify their WR corps. TO (maybe) mitchell and D-Mac would be much more threatening than what they currently have. Eagle know it's going to take salary of a mil per to pry D-Mac from his hometown and favorite team as a kid. If I were the skins FO I would pay fir three weeks of training camp for betts and S. Davis. They are very good friends and they cmmunicate weekly. This would give Betts a chance to learn more from S. Davis. It wouldn't be tampering because the team would not be benefit contractually by enabling two players to spend time together. It it's a problem with league rules I would just just drop a envelope ont he ground with the two tickets in it while Betts is leaving the first minicamp........LOL I need a FO Job.........Leni would have a story about me every other day........:high:

Originally posted by Old Glory

I wouldn't mind adding Buckhalter and getting rid of Betts and Cannidate.

We would be improved overall in our backfield if we did that.

You have got to be kidding. At best, Buckhalter = Betts. I see zero upgrade potential there.

The Eagles wouldn't be doing the RBBC thing if Buckhalter was more than just a body. If anything, he was low man on the totem pole for them.

Archived