Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Howard Stern OFF THE AIR?!?!?!

Renegade7

Sorry if this is already posted, but good lord!!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/News/02/25/stern.suspension/index.html

CNN) -- The U.S.'s largest radio chain has taken shock jock Howard Stern off its stations indefinitely for running afoul of new decency standards.

"We will not air Howard Stern on Clear Channel stations until we are assured that his show will conform to acceptable standards of responsible broadcasting," said a Wednesday statement from John Hogan, president and CEO of Clear Channel Radio.

Stern was subdued but firm on air Thursday morning in response.

"They are so afraid of me and what this show represents," he said.

Earlier, he had wondered if he should even talk about the controversy. "I could blow my stack, but ... ," Stern said, trailing off. "A caller used the N word, and I hung up on him."

Stern was referring to his Tuesday morning interview with Rick Salomon, Paris Hilton's ex-boyfriend and the man involved in her infamous sex video. A person called in during the interview and used a racial slur.

The company said Stern's suspension from its stations came after a review of his Tuesday broadcast.

"Clear Channel drew a line in the sand today with regard to protecting our listeners from indecent content, and Howard Stern's show blew right through it," Hogan said.

"It was vulgar, offensive and insulting, not just to women and African-Americans but to anyone with a sense of common decency."

The statement did not outline what parts of Stern's show ran afoul of the policy or how long the suspension might last.

Clear Channel operates 1,200 stations nationwide. It was unclear how many of its stations currently run Stern, who is syndicated across the country by another company, Infinity Broadcasting. The suspension applies only to Clear Channel stations.

Earlier in the day, Clear Channel, which has been under fire from the Federal Communications Commission over allegedly indecent content aired on its stations, announced a zero-tolerance policy that called for immediate suspension of its on-air personalities who cross the line.

Hogan said there would be "no appeals and no immediate steps" for DJs found in violation, and that on-air personalities employed by Clear Channel who were found to have violated FCC indecency rules would be fired.

In January, the FCC announced it would fine Clear Channel $750,000 for allegedly indecent content aired by one of its DJs, Todd Clem, known as Bubba the Love Sponge. The company fired Clem on Tuesday.

I was rolling from seeing Private Parts, so yea, i'm a lil sad to hear this. :(

----------------------------------

0-16, 19-0, skins fan till i die!!!

It is BS, and its a gutless move by hypocritical Clear Channel who suddenly woke up 48 hours ago to be shocked, SHOCKED that their stations carried these jocks. Of course, this has NOTHING to do with the fact that the head Clear Channel honcho had to appear before Congress today. :rolleyes:

In and of itself this is not a big thing, only affects 6 stations albeit in some decent size markets (Miami for one). But this is just the beginning. I'm thoroughly disgusted.

I listen to Howard's show and I'm the father of 3 kids. When the kids are in the car, or when he goes in a direction I don't like, I do an apparently revolutionary thing. I actually CHANGE THE STATION! Strange as it seems, this works miracles, and I can no longer hear whatever it was I wanted to go away. The fact that some other people are voluntarily listening to things I don't like really doesn't trouble me at all. I can't for the life of me understand the mentality that says because I don't like it nobody else can listen to it.

When I was in Don & Mike country last week, they too were having to walk a thin line due to this whole "decency" craze that's sweeping the nation. The key phrase that the lawyers are making them deal with is "arguably indecent", whatever that means.....

It's a strange complicated situation.

On one hand, it's a freedom thing. If you dont like it, turn it off.

On another hand, it's the publics control of the airways and the need for SOME censorship. IE, you cant say certain words. So wouldnt that make this a matter of "where is the line I cant cross"?

And still another hand is that Clear Channell can set whatever rules they want for their business. Just like I can force a dresscode on my employees and a standard of conduct in the office, so too can Clear Channel set up their own rules.

I really dont know where I stand on this one yet.

He's still on what, 100+ stations for Infinity Broadcasting? So he loses 6 stations, big fat hairy deal; other stations in the same market will pick him up anyways.

I'm completely burnt out on his show; it's gotten very stale. But, there are far worse things on TV and such. This is clearly a target of selective prosecution. As Voltaire once remarked to his oft rival and critic Rousseau, "I may not agree with what you say, but I will die to defend your right to say it."

Some people just need to lighten up or change the station and shut up.

Archived