Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are we losing control?

Commander PK

Is there anybody else out there who thinks that we as people are losing our minds? Why is it that we live in a society where the most valued people are the ones who star in movies, and play sports? That a teenager who has done nothing to earn it, signs multi-million dollar contracts right out of high school just because he can throw a ball through a hoop, while the rest of us struggle to get degrees, and make ends meat? That an aging pop singer, can bare some skin on national television in what is an obvious publicity stunt, in a desperate attempt to stay newsworthy, and accomplishes exactly that. That kids are having kids, and "babymama" and "babydaddy" are becoming more and more accepted in our daily life. Where a woman can earn a living simply by popping out one illegitimate child after another every 9 months, and it's just accepted. Where will it stop, is there anybody else out there that things we as a people are losing control? It seems to me that for every 1 step forward we take, we take 2 steps back. I work in a Detention Center and am around the worst of our society more than my own family, and am exposed to much of society's ills. Has this enviornment tainted my view on things, or are there others among us that feel the same way? There is much good still in the world, and many people are still doing the right things, but it seems like more and more, are making bad decisions. What do you think?

Welcome to the "free-est" society the world has ever known. :)

With security provided, and freedom from want, the people inevitably spend more time looking for amusement as the icing on their "pursuit of happiness" cake.

And, this being the free-est and richest society from top to bottom that the world has ever known, they have time and money to spend on it.

A vast majority of them, I think it's safe to say, are attracted in that regard with superficial titillation and vicarious living. Nothing new there ... people have always followed artificial heroes at least as passionately as real ones. Only now, in this place and time, the demand is just so much greater.

And in a capitalist society, there are many, many folks only too willing to provide said services to the demanding masses with such historical amounts of leisure time and expendable income, and the make a fine living off it in their pursuit of happiness.

The circle of life, indeed.

I'd like to think that "we" in this country, as "free and well-off people" looking for a good time, are simply going through a kind of societal adolescence, and that we will one day tire of spending SO much of our time wigging out over a bare breast flashed on a sporting event halftime show ... and maybe turn a bit more back to slightly higher and/or introspective pursuits. Less consumptive and, perhaps, a bit more contributive.

Then again, as a parent of a couple of adolescents ... sometimes I have to wonder.

Ask me again in about 100 years. :)

think positive--there have been a lot of worst times throughout human history (i.e. age of imperalism & slavery, WWI & II & genocide, the plaque & mass death toll, and so many more) and we have always managed to not only survive, but to become stronger from it....so i think we'll be alright.

Originally posted by Jay Master Jay

I think we're a lost society and it's only going to get worse. I believe I read that in this book called the BIBLE. We're actually having same sex marriages now what are the kids going to think now? We're doomed and the next couple of generations will show with no morales or values whatsoever.

Well, that was uplifting.

Originally posted by dks1240

think positive--there have been a lot of worst times throughout human history (i.e. age of imperalism & slavery, WWI & II & genocide, the plaque & mass death toll, and so many more) and we have always managed to not only survive, but to become stronger from it....so i think we'll be alright.

Originally posted by dks1240

Very true. More often than not, a generation looks at its own time period and says "What is happening to us?" So we should take it with a grain of salt when we say it about our own time.

Does that mean we don't have problems that we should try to address? Of course not.

Archived