Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

That's it, I'm calling out the Chief

Awesome

There's no doubt that Ramsey would benefit from being around a veteran qb for a few years, someone who has had success in the NFL, someone who can teach him things that Danny Weurffel, Shane Matthews and Rob Johnson couldn't.

I have no doubt that Mark Brunnell could be that guy. But $20 mill and a 3rd round pick??? That's WAY too much. I know Gibbs puts a premium on having experience and tested, proven success at the qb spot, but this is going too far; this solution far exceeds the problem being addressed, and will result in MASSIVE deficiences in other areas of the roster in much greater need.

So now where's the d-line help gonna come from? What about Champ? Does this mean we're set with who we've got at rb? And how about our massive depth issues? And the cap..the CAP! (Someone help me out here, but I can't imagine this improves things)

This move almost forces us to trade down in round one b/c we'll only have three picks and we really won't be able to afford a top 5 guy. So I guess this means no Sean Taylor for Gregg WIlliams to work with. F@ck!

And another thing...it ain't 1987 anymore. Gone are the days when you had to have a guy like Montana, Elway, Marino, Kelly etc in order to compete. The good teams now have great defenses, solid o-lines and tremendous depth by way of cheap players acquired through the draft. This will be the second year that the Redskins will have less than five picks in the draft. That's gonna bite us, i gurantee it.

So, I'm calling him out...Joe, I don't like it, I don't agree, you're testing my faith, big time!

I'm concerned too, Mappy.

I have no friggin idea what to think about a contract of that size...

While depth is important at the QB position, other things are much, much more important...like getting a nasty pass-rusher. Where will that $$ come from if we're trying to spend this much on a QB that might even be a backup?

Something seems a little strange here. Could this be some kind of trickery...perhaps 'wagging the dog' to disguise other personnel moves? Maybe it's just to scare Ramsey???

Like I said, I'm clueless...

And it will suck to not have Sean Taylor...He'll probably go to the friggin Giants or something!!!! Not getting him will haunt us, if that's the case.

I don't care for the moves either but he does have three rings. So I will just sit back and let the man do his job.

Gibbs is a great coach, but he has zero Super Bowls since the salary cap.

If he was pulling this move 15 years ago there wouldn't be any cap ramifications for signing him, no penalty for releasing him, etc.

This move deserves to be questioned DESPITE Gibbs and his track record.

Originally posted by f_dallas

Gibbs is a great coach, but he has zero Super Bowls since the salary cap.

If he was pulling this move 15 years ago there wouldn't be any cap ramifications for signing him, no penalty for releasing him, etc.

do you really think that if gibbs was acting with no regard to the cap that someone on his staff or in the FO wouldnt say hey joe this might strap us,

Originally posted by f_dallas

Lets give him sometime, he hasn't even coached a game yet. If we end up 2-14 and salary cap he$$ then get mad.

To me what Gibbs sees on this team is obvious we have the talent to win all we need is someone with experience to take us to the next level. He has said some of our backups are better then the starters.

When he talks about Ramsey he admires his athletic abilities and his potential, however he has not said that he knows how to manage a game yet.

Remember Ramsey has not had much competition since he has been here.

What the heck is wrong with you Redskins fans?!?!? Beginning to sound like cry babies and fair-weather fans!! Almost as bad as Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys fans! Damn! Wake up and realize who has returned and will lead us back to the glory days when there were no second guessing!! Believe in Joe!! I know most of you guys may be too young to remember the glory days, but those days are back! So, sit back my friends and enjoy the ride!

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

Gibbs was a part owner of the Falcons so he wasnt been too far away from the game. As an owner Im sure he was quite aware of the salary cap factor on the overall team.

He never owned a race car team either and became dominant real quickly.

What Bang said ... :cheers:

Originally posted by MAPTASTIC

So now where's the d-line help gonna come from? What about Champ? Does this mean we're set with who we've got at rb? And how about our massive depth issues? And the cap..the CAP! (Someone help me out here, but I can't imagine this improves things)

So, I'm calling him out...Joe, I don't like it, I don't agree, you're testing my faith, big time!

Maptastic, you crack me up. Can only Jbooma and I see the light. Today is only Feb 12th. Who says Gibbs isn't going to also address the d-line, rb, etc? Christ, free agency hasn't even started yet. :laugh:

Would you rather have Ramsey only on the team, and if he goes down with an injury like Pennington last year, and the team winds up 4-12 again?

Remember when Joe Theismann broke his leg. Gibbs had Jay Schroeder waiting in the wings and saved that season.

If the Skins finish 4-12 this year, then maybe we can come back this time next year and start questioning what he is doing.

You think Joe Gibbs knows less about the cap then the rest of us clowns, just because he hasn't coached in 10 years? Relax, Gibbs knows what he's doing.

do you really think that if gibbs was acting with no regard to the cap that someone on his staff or in the FO wouldnt say hey joe this might strap us,

Yeah, he is surrounded by people who have been masters of the cap under Danny....

;)

But seriously, I just think that the guy knows how to build a team and coach, but he may not be very cap savvy.

Is someone in that organization that runs cap matters going to tell Gibbs he can't have his man?

The more I think about this the more I'm starting to believe we will see a lot of changes.

From what I remember (and correct me if I'm wrong) Gibbs's teams lacked super star LBs (outside of Marshall of course). Could Trotter's and Armstead's days in DC be numbered? No offense to Coleman, Collins, etc. but these guys were not the high profile players we have at the position currently.

At safety, for the most part, we had servicable guys that Joe found in FA, off the waiver wire, from UPS, etc. Could this be a position he might not look to upgrade?

Anyway, my point is that a lot could happen to clear up our cap situation in order to make room for more depth/talent at Gibbs's KEY positions. We are still early here guys. I doubt we will attempt to acquire Brunell and then squeeze everything else in around his monster contract. My guess is that this team will look a LOT different when all is said and done.

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Maptastic, you crack me up. Can only Jbooma and I see the light. Today is only Feb 12th. Who says Gibbs isn't going to also address the d-line, rb, etc? Christ, free agency hasn't even started yet. :laugh:

Yes, i'm aware free agency hasn't started and I realize we haven't done anything yet, and that this may be a part of a larger, more devious plan to get someone--Dallas?-- to overpay for Brunnell. But I don't think that's the case.

My point is that IMO, finding an experienced backup qb to "compete" with our former #1 pick qb is well below such priorities as fixing the d-line, adding youth to the linebacking corps, coming to terms with Champ, finding a rb who can carry the load for an entire season, and infusing the team with some much needed cheap depth through the draft.

Apparantly Joe doesn't agree with that, which is fine, he's the coach, but i'm not gonna sit back and keep telling myself, "he's Joe Gibbs, he's Joe Gibbs, he knows what he's doing, have blind faith, do not question." I'd like to, but i can't force myself to see this move in a positive light.

Ok, so that being said, inmate, assuming we add Brunnell, and we franchise Champ, where's the $$ gonna come from to do things like sign some veteran talent to our d-line, and bring in that quality rb? More than likely, we'll have a chance to add a playmaker to our secondary in Sean Taylor, but if we do that, well then are we going to wait till 2nd round to add some long overdue youth to the d-line? Or, will we trade down and miss out on Taylor? I feel that this move limits us in what we're able to do in the draft.

Look, for years the Redskins have been the offseason superstars, every year the team goes gangbuster to bring in new talent, outspending everyone else to land the marquee guys. That's fine, but it hasn't worked. What has worked are teams that temper spending with an eye towards the draft and filling out its roster every year with a quality draft class; not just one or two blue chippers, but guys picked in the late rounds who fill roles.

I feel that this is the year to do that. We can't go after the top guys year in and year out and expect it to work. And this Brunnell thing tells me that things haven't changed. To hell with the future, let's win now. If it works, great, if it doesn't well we're in trouble! Same old Redskins.

Were just fans that want to win what gives us the right to try to run the FO also? It's not our money and as long as we win what's the problem? Why does everyone think they're a GM on this site? Get rid of Champ, cut Betts, dont sign Brunell. Why cant we just be happy Gibbs is back and wait to see what he does? We dont know so let our coach get what he needs to win.

Archived