Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Bugel make the O line great agian?

RedskinsFanInTX

What will our TE Corps look like next year?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What will our TE Corps look like next year?

• Keep the TE's we have now. They're fine!
    • Draft Winslow
    • Pick up a Free Agent

Next season the Redskins will start tackles Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen and guard Randy Thomas, and Derrick Dockery appears likely to stay at the left guard spot. And it's very possible Larry Moore could stay or Lennie Friedman could be re-signed at center.

Add a couple tight ends and a blocking back and they could be great in the scheme they will be running.

I think that our O line is going to be a force. I like the size and we have a nasty streak on the line. Also Jansen (who thinks he's a leader) is trying to be a team leader, and is outspoken. I like a guy that demands excellence from his team mates, even if he's far from perfect, as long as he's giving his best effort.. We need people like him. As for the blocking TE's, why isn't anybody talking about Kleinssuasser from the Vikings. He blocks like his life depends on it. And his hands are so good the Viking had to move him from FB to TE. And he's a FA this year that wont cost us an arm and a leg.

I don't really like any of those choices. I think Gibbs and Bugel will let these guys run block a little more, they'll put in better protection packages, and it'll look like these guys went from the outhouse to the penthouse in 2004 or 2005.

But you do have a huge need at TE and RB, so I picked that one.

I think the fact that four of them (Samuels, Thomas, Dockery, and Jansen) have played together for a year and will stay together is key. Maybe the Skins will need to make a change at center -- which is a big change -- but otherwise you've got a good young line that shouldn't have to make huge changes to play for Bugel.

They'll be helped by a style of play that is more suited to their strengths (except the pulling guards -- we'll see about that). And they'll be helped by Gibbs keeping a TE or RB in to block.

You gotta be excited about the OL next year.

Isn't Fiore's injury career threatening?

The redskins line was always @ a disadvantage last year with injuries, and a lackluster offense that was running on running downs and passing on passing downs. The opp defenses were NEVER fooled and could blitz @ will. Add in a bad blocking scheme and TE's and RB's who stink @ picking up a blitz....recipe for disaster.

The improvement of the OL is one thing I'm looking forward to this season.

Another thing I'm looking forward to is combing through all the "Samuels sucks!" and "Jansen sucks!" posts from 2003, and posting a list of offenders.

Hey Code: guess who's first on that list? :laugh:

:asta:

Dead Men Walking: you may begin your offseason spin moves to reposition yourselves as big Samuels and Jansen boosters all along. :)

I agree with whomever brought up TE Kleinsasser from the Vikes. He is on a short list of mine for FA TE's. I think it would be a great pickup.

Our line will be just fine. The blocking schemes Spurrier ran last year were horrendous for the NFL relying too much on TEs and FBs to block... not gonna happen with Gibbs and Bugel. Our O Line will be fine this year. Moore or Friedman will be our center, the other guys are already in place.

Dockery will remind us of Grimm, only bigger... you'll see.

Originally posted by michael_33

I think with the exception of a good Center,they could be better than the Chiefs O-line...

I think we need a Bostic....I mean Center and we will be rolling!!

Damien Woody of the Pats is an UFA this off-season. Replace Larry Moore with him, our o-line WOULD be better then the Cheifs either this year or the next at the latest!

--------------------------------------------

0-16, 16-0, skins fan till i die!!!

Forget Winslow! We need a safety! Kleinsasser is a beast blocker with pretty good hands. How could we not go after him, its not like he'll cost an arm and a leg to get him either. He's a UFA.

-----------------------------------------

0-16, 16-0, skins fan till i die!!!

ASF, in their defense, you have to agree that both of them did suck at times. Maybe it was the schemes, maybe it was frustration, but we saw a lot of blown assignments, false starts, and downright beatings by those two guys early in the season.

Maybe "Samuels Sucks!" would deserve rebuke, but those two guys did deserve some criticism this year.

The O line has the pieces except at Center and I've been on the sign Kleinssuasser bandwagon for a while then we can draft S Taylor or get really greedy though I'd be upset move down a couple of spots and grab Winslow 2.

Then you could have a Coles, Gardner/DMac, Kleinssuasser or at worst you could also include winslow good receivers and nice blockers

Originally posted by Even Madder

ASF, in their defense, you have to agree that both of them did suck at times.

Ah-ha! Even Madder pencils in his name as first of the 2004 ExtremeSkins spinmeisters. :laugh:

My answer to you is: how would you perform if you had Helton coaching your, ah, "physical technique"?

:puke:

Here's your penance: visualize Helton next time you're "on assignment," and report back on your results. :laugh:

:cheers:

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

The improvement of the OL is one thing I'm looking forward to this season.

Another thing I'm looking forward to is combing through all the "Samuels sucks!" and "Jansen sucks!" posts from 2003, and posting a list of offenders.

Hey Code: guess who's first on that list? :laugh:

:asta:

Dead Men Walking: you may begin your offseason spin moves to reposition yourselves as big Samuels and Jansen boosters all along. :)

I'm with you all the way on this ASF. Our so called bums will be probowlers with Bugel and Gibbs coaching them. They did suck at times Even Madder, but imagine the frustration they went through of playing under such horrible coaching in a terrible scheme.

I think Friedman is a solid, smart player and will be next years' starter. The oline play picked up when he was in there. I also remember something about the false starts being partly do to Moore's playing style, but I don't remember the details. I wouldn't be surprised though if we draft a center to eventually replace Friedman.

I don't think the Redskins line is that far away from returning to a place of prominence.

The talent in Jansen, Samuels and Thomas is there and I think Dockery is going to return to man the other OG spot.

Jansen and Dockery are run blockers first and foremost. They excel at getting guys in the run game and then using that to their advantage as they wear down.

The Skins under Spurrier never allowed the strengths of these players to be used to maximum effect.

Samuels and Thomas are more athletic and can be successful in any number of offensive systems. I don't have too much of a concern about their adapting to what Gibbs will introduce.

Where the Skins need an upgrade is at center. Moore at 298 and Friedman at 285 are undersized in an era where their opposite numbers at DT are all over 300, most near 315-330.

If you count TEs as part of the OL, as no doubt Gibbs does, then the team does have some extra work to do.

But as I said on a post yesterday, can we be sure that Gibbs, Rennie Simmons and Bugel can't get more out of the 6'4 and 255 Robert Royal or Kevin Ware at TE?

I don't know how these guys practice, but they have the size to be successful, maybe it is just the element of proper coaching that has been missing? :)

Archived