Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone think Trotter wil be cut

Skillari

I hope so. He is no different then the other stupid big spending spree free agents Snyder has gone out and gotten like Deion, Bruce, and George. The only difference I see in Trotter is he was young but so many players from Philly often fail outside their system. Hell look at ND Kalu. When he was with the Skins he was a 3rd down guy. With Philly he had 74 tackles. That is 3 times as many as any Skins DE. Well we dont really have any DE's but it shows that they have a system that works for less talented players. Hugh Douglass went from 12.5 sacks last year to 3.5 this year in Jacksonville and also had half the tackles he did last year. Trotter will count 2.7 mil against the cap next year and hasn't been worth any of the money we gave him. I hear a lot of talk about letting Armstead go but I think he deserves to stay. Jessie had 6.5 sacks(.5 more than Lavar and 5 more than Trotter). He was the only linebacker I saw making any plays this year on a consistant basis. We should let go of Trotter and let Kevin Mitchell play. He has been screwed over and over by the Skins by not getting any playing time. When he does get playing time he is just as good as any of the other ILB's who have played before him (Trotter and Derick Smith). I know Trotter lead the team in tackles but that is only due to the fact that we had no one in front of him so he had the ball run at him constantly. Just my two cents. Any thoughts?

It would be a mistake cutting Trotter. With Williams at DC he will have a huge year if he stays, mark my words. Plus who's gonna play MLB if he leaves? Clifton Smith? Maybe eventually but I doubt he's ready now. Kevin Mitchell is a UFA and getting old, plus he's not nearly as good as some posters on this board believe.

Trotter prefers a attacking style of defense and Williams style should suit him. Also, the cap savings from cutting him do not appeal, cut after june and you move a big hit onto next year, cut him before June and we chew up a lot of the free cap space we have now.

I say give him one more year, if he can't respond to a defense that is suited to his strengths then he can go next year.

if we did cut him it's a banker he would go back to Philly and haunt us!!

What about when Marvin Lewis was our DC? He was probably the best DC in the league then and George Edwards was supposadly the same style coach. Trotter didnt do anything when he was healthy even with 2 good DT's in front of him. I am sick of hearing all this crap about give them time. He was given a 35 million dollor contract, he should be able to play dominant defense no matter who the DC is. I dont remember Ray Lewis or any of the Ravens having a problem when their DC's changed. Could it just be the Vinny is the worst talent evaluator in the NFL?

Originally posted by Skillari

What about when Marvin Lewis was our DC? He was probably the best DC in the league then and George Edwards was supposadly the same style coach. Trotter didnt do anything when he was healthy even with 2 good DT's in front of him. I am sick of hearing all this crap about give them time. He was given a 35 million dollor contract, he should be able to play dominant defense no matter who the DC is. I dont remember Ray Lewis or any of the Ravens having a problem when their DC's changed. Could it just be the Vinny is the worst talent evaluator in the NFL?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Marvin Lewis year was when he was hurt. As far as George Edwards...that D was horrid from the bottom up. No one was anywhere near prepared. If there was any type of motion on the offense they looked completely lost. He was an awful coordinator.

Someone might need to confirm this, but I believe that it costs $3.7 million to keep Trotter, $5 million to cut him prior to June. After June, what's the point? We might as well give him a healthy year to prove himself.

You say that G Edwards was horrible. Maybe I am wrong but didn't we consider Mike Nolan a terrible coordinator when he was with the Skins? With Baltimore this year he had the number 3 defense. I think we give some of the Skins players to much benefit of a doubt. We need good solid players not big names. I know Gibbs can change players and I didn't realize Trotters cap number would be so big. Hopefully he will suceed because I am a Redskins fan and want the best but I just get tired of the same old excusses about big name busts.

We've discussed this over on the 700 level and we would love to see that happen. Jim Johnson always finds a way to utilize his players potential. The problem Trotter had in Philly was staying at home in the middle. He liked to freelance a bit too much for JJ's scheme. He was out of position on almost half the plays.

The fact he was one of a few current players who attended Gibbs' unveiling press conference, I say give him a shot. He had a look on his face of pride, and he wasn't even a part of it all!.

But he knows. He knows what is going to happen here. He wants to be a part of it, His attendance is evidence of that, and to me shows the kind of commitment Gibbs asks of his players.

I'd be shocked if Trotter misses 1 minute of 1 meeting this year.

We know he can play,, freelance or not, Philly vited him their MVP on a year their defense was outstanding. He CAN play.

Let him.

I wasn't too happy with his performance this season, and I thought we could have gotten basically the same play out of Kevin Mitchell for a lot less $$... but Trotter's face at that press conference told me otherwise.

He needs to stay. And i bet he'd take less money to stay, too.

~Bang

Originally posted by Skillari

You say that G Edwards was horrible. Maybe I am wrong but didn't we consider Mike Nolan a terrible coordinator when he was with the Skins? With Baltimore this year he had the number 3 defense.

Baltimore plays in the AFC North. There are no high powered offenses in that division.

My guess is that along with a guarantee that the team would do its utmost to get Champ resigned, Williams was attracted by the talent at the LB position of the Skins. All three, even the "aging" :rolleyes: Armstead are extremely talented ball players. Despite a couple of bonehead moves and "bad" knee, Trotter played very well overall. Especially in a defense that was putting he and the other 2 routinely 5-6 yards back off the line. Trotter is a big, big, man. And very fast for a guy his size. They do not grow on trees in the NFL. and he's still young yet. Thinking very good things for this crew with Williams on board.

:cheers:

I think it would be crazy to cut Trotter. Williams is a coordinator you can see using him a bit differently than he was used and therefore more effectively. Trotter, by all of our views, played only so-so this year. He STILL had 115 total tackles, with 96 of them being solo tackles. Contrast that with Takeo Spikes who helped the Bills defense improve. Takeo had 120 tackles but only 70 were solo.

If Trotter can perform THAT well behind a relatively weak defensive line in a scheme that DOESN'T fit his abilities, can you imagine what he MIGHT do in a scheme where he might be allowed to be somewhat more aggressive? To me he's got to be safe at least for another year.

Archived