Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone think Trotter wil be cut

Skillari

Samuels will restructure. They are already in talks to do that.

I am just finding it hard to understand that with as poor as our defense played this year, you guys are asking for the head of the one guy who made the most tackles in the defense. Both overall and solo.

So explain to me how the one guy who appeared to be the best overall production player on our defense is the guy we should let go?

Originally posted by Mo. Redskins22

Where else are you going to make up the money if it's not Trotter. Maybe Samules.

You get Samuels to restructure his conract, Bruce gets cut/retires June 1st and there is more cap space for you. Trotter does not need to be cut nor will he.

The only scenario I can imagine right now that we would be under a tight cap scenario is if we have to franchise Champ. And even then I'd be severely hesitant to cut Trotter. I think we keep him for this coming season and then ask him to re-structure next year.

Originally posted by TankRizzo

The only scenario I can imagine right now that we would be under a tight cap scenario is if we have to franchise Champ. And even then I'd be severely hesitant to cut Trotter. I think we keep him for this coming season and then ask him to re-structure next year.

You got it. That is definitely the most "cap sensible" answer.

Originally posted by TankRizzo

We have 8 mil right now w/o restructres. If Champ's new contract uses all of tht money, I hope at least we get some lube and a kiss on the back of the neck from Bailey. :shot: :twitch: :rolleyes:

It would be stupid to cut Trotter this year until we see how he does under Gregg Williams. Plus, as Jbooma pointed out we would take a $5 million cap hit this year.

Plus we would have still another big hole to fill and we already have enough of those.

Also keep in mind that 4-3 MLB's dont traditionally make a lot of big plays -- INT's, sacks -- but mainly garner a lot of tackles. Remember Neal Olkewicz under Gibbs and that other little MLB whose name I cant recall at the moment? The big play exception at middle linebacker is Ray Lewis who is a freak of nature. :laugh:

I am very confident that Gibbs and his staff will thoroughly evaluate Trotter and his teammates and make the right decision based on all considerations, including the cap.

I think, however, the considerations of cap hit this year, injury, old system being bad, new system being good are all points that weigh heavily into keeping him this year.

As for clearing cap space, what for? We're already $8.6 million under (pending escalators) and when Smith gets the boot, that's $6.5 million more. With that space, we can franchise Champ (if we really have to), sign our rookies, and pick up some folks in FA.

Originally posted by Oldskool

You get Samuels to restructure his conract, Bruce gets cut/retires June 1st and there is more cap space for you. Trotter does not need to be cut nor will he.

Amen, Oldskool. We miss on you the ESPN boards. BTW, Fletch, middie, and sbk all give your their best. :laugh:

Yeah, right.

Originally posted by BCS: BattleCatSnyder

Next year, if he doesn't step it up, is when I'd make the call one way or the other.

I want to see how JT responds to the Gibbs/Williams regime change first. Plus he's another year removed from major reconstructive surgery.

Trotter could explode big time this year.

Yeah. BCS made a good point about the reconstructive surgery. In one of the wp articles after skins-iggles 1, there was an article about trotter where it wuz stated that he talked to armstead about reconstructive surgery due to the fact armstead had it at u. of miami. armstead told him that he would be back to normal after a year. so look for him to be a lot better next year. he was even considering retirement after the bills game. but if he doesnt perform well next year then :hammer: and

edgerton hartwell (who will be a UFA)- :notworthy

Originally posted by Utah

I am just finding it hard to understand that with as poor as our defense played this year, you guys are asking for the head of the one guy who made the most tackles in the defense. Both overall and solo.

So explain to me how the one guy who appeared to be the best overall production player on our defense is the guy we should let go?

Yeah before the bears game i thot that running defense problems all lied with the crappy dline and bowens bad tackling. but brian baldinger, as anti-skins as he may be, opened my eyes when he kept repeatedly pointing out trotter as the problem. at that point i went and called all my hardcore skins fans friends and told them it wuz his fault. then a couple weeks later i realized that trotter wuznt the real problem in 2002 and this was mainly due to his severe reconstructive surgery. i agree wit u Utah, but i disagree with you about ur argument. trotter made the most tackles only becuz they kept running it up the middle becuz they disrespected him.

I remember that game and Baldinger was off. matter of fact it was discussed here that day. On two of the plays he pointed out Trotter, it became evident, ( after watching the play several more times than Baldinger did), that one play lay squarely on Lavar's shoulders and another on Armstead. And teams didn't disrespect Trotter I don't think as much as the Dline...... and George's defensive play calling. Job of the DLine is to hold up those big Olineman so they don't go out and pound on the LB's. Didn't happen many times. Also fairly easy to run between the tackles when, as it has been noted, the LB's are playing 5-7 yards back.

He might have to take a pay cut but he really hasn't lived up to expectations. He could be replaced by a younger linebacker that might do what the coach instructs him to do. I still remember him blitzing against the Panthers and leaving Davis on that 4th down play. We cant afford to have linebackers freelancing it's time for some discipline.

Tackle numbers as indicators of success are not always the best measurement of a linebacker. Remember Marvcus Patton? He had a 116 tackle season for us in 1998. Derek Smith had 104 tackles the same year. Basically, if you can't stop the run, tackle stats will be high.

Personally, I'm suprised so many people are for keeping Trotter.

I personally think he's highly over-rated and never liked the signing - salary overkill on the LB unit when we sorely needed youth on the defensive line.

No player in Philly was slower to catch on to Jim Johnson's system and no player freelanced more than Trotter. I also recall team reports from Redskins Park about Trotter catching on slowly to Lewis' scheme before he went down. Like Douglas, I'm pretty confident that Trotter's 'success' was due more to Johnson's system than his individual talent as a player.

Now, I agree that Williams' system might improve Trotter's worth, but it would have to be a whole lot of impovement. Truth be told, we need a pass rush, and I don't see Trotter providing any.

From a cap standpoint, I do not know when would be the best time to do it but I would want him gone to free up his future salary for a player on the defensive line.

Archived