Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Antoine Winfield should replace Champ

EvilMonkeyBoy

I ultimately think that the best thing to do with Champ is to franchise him, to get him off the market, and then when he signs the long term deal, make it heavily incentive laden. Make a bunch of the incentives easy to hit, with additional stretch goals that would see him make an obscene amount. That way he and the agent get to announce an ungodly sum for the contract, but he doesn't break the bank and is kept accountable for his performance.

Oh, and if he doesn't like it, then you try to trade him in the next year.

Personally, I think more of these guys should be on heavy incentive plans...

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyBoy

To become a team... you have have players that WANT to be here, and have a team attitude.

You honestly think at this point Champ is either of those kinds of players?

He wants the green, thats all.

I want players who want to be here, not players who want to see how deep into our generous owner's pockets they can get.

Champ never had a problem with the money, he had a problem with the way the contract was structured. So, when he didn't respond to the Skins' offer, that doesn't mean he wanted more money than was offered. Too many fans have jumped to that conclusion and branded this guy a "me-first" type of player, when he showed no signs of that type of mentality for his whole career.

Honestly, would you want to be on a team that was losing every season and showed no signs or direction in getting better? Probably not. No one can really blame him for being an all-star for all those seasons and having to struggle through the same problems year after year. You can gather from his comments through the season, that he just wanted to some continuity and not dealing with learning a new system from a new coaching staff.

It happened again, but seeing how this time Gibbs is here. Champ's attitude about this team may have changed. Who knows? No one has found any quotes or comments from him that ask his opinion about Gibbs' return. Like all the other players, I speculate he is just as excited and willing to do what it takes to become a winner here.

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyBoy

To become a team... you have have players that WANT to be here, and have a team attitude.

You honestly think at this point Champ is either of those kinds of players?

He wants the green, thats all.

I want players who want to be here, not players who want to see how deep into our generous owner's pockets they can get.

Champ never had a problem with the money, he had a problem with the way the contract was structured. So, when he didn't respond to the Skins' offer, that doesn't mean he wanted more money than was offered. Too many fans have jumped to that conclusion and branded this guy a "me-first" type of player, when he showed no signs of that type of mentality for his whole career.

Honestly, would you want to be on a team that was losing every season and showed no signs or direction in getting better? Probably not. No one can really blame him for being an all-star for all those seasons and having to struggle through the same problems year after year. You can gather from his comments through the season, that he just wanted to some continuity and not dealing with learning a new system from a new coaching staff.

It happened again, but seeing how this time Gibbs is here. Champ's attitude about this team may have changed. Who knows? No one has found any quotes or comments from him that ask his opinion about Gibbs' return. Like all the other players, I speculate he is just as excited and willing to do what it takes to become a winner here.

Franchise. Period. If a no brainer deal comes along, you trade him. He's not going to win games by himself! Start the trend of bringing down the $ now with some younger talent. If not, he's still a pro-bowl caliber corner. I believe his exposure this year was more a result of ZERO pressure generated up front, with his injuries effecting him slightly as well. Bottomline, I think the SKINS cant lose with Champ!

Franchise. Period. If a no brainer deal comes along, you trade him. He's not going to win games by himself! Start the trend of bringing down the $ now with some younger talent. If not, he's still a pro-bowl caliber corner. I believe his exposure this year was more a result of ZERO pressure generated up front, with his injuries effecting him slightly as well. Bottomline, I think the SKINS cant lose with Champ!

Everybody at this point should be expendable on this team. We had the most talent in the NFC East and won only 5 games. Champ Bailey is a cornerback that does not make plays. Once he learns how to catch a football he may become very good. He had chances to put away no less than 3 games for the Redskins this year...but dropped easy interceptions. But anyway, at this point he is not "great" and if we can get some draft picks for him...now is the time. Gibbs likes playmakers, not overrated prima donas.

Everybody at this point should be expendable on this team. We had the most talent in the NFC East and won only 5 games. Champ Bailey is a cornerback that does not make plays. Once he learns how to catch a football he may become very good. He had chances to put away no less than 3 games for the Redskins this year...but dropped easy interceptions. But anyway, at this point he is not "great" and if we can get some draft picks for him...now is the time. Gibbs likes playmakers, not overrated prima donas.

Champ dropped interceptions because he has been playing hurt since the 3rd game of the season. Champ is a playmaker and a true Redskin he should never wear another uniform period. He just wants to get his money like Coles, Thomas, Dieon and the others. Champ is the best DB in the league and once we get a real DL everyone will know this. It's very hard to chase a reciever around when we haven't had a decent pass rush since 1992.

Champ dropped interceptions because he has been playing hurt since the 3rd game of the season. Champ is a playmaker and a true Redskin he should never wear another uniform period. He just wants to get his money like Coles, Thomas, Dieon and the others. Champ is the best DB in the league and once we get a real DL everyone will know this. It's very hard to chase a reciever around when we haven't had a decent pass rush since 1992.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: R u insane?! Champ is a million times more talented then Winfeild will ever be and then some!!! champ had one bad year, big deal!!! they all do eventually. and he was hurt, but still played anyway!!! he's arguable the best CB in the league right now, and Gibbs here do u think he even wants to leave? Hel1 NO!!!!! KEEP CHAMP, or we're gonna so f'n regret it!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: R u insane?! Champ is a million times more talented then Winfeild will ever be and then some!!! champ had one bad year, big deal!!! they all do eventually. and he was hurt, but still played anyway!!! he's arguable the best CB in the league right now, and Gibbs here do u think he even wants to leave? Hel1 NO!!!!! KEEP CHAMP, or we're gonna so f'n regret it!!!

Originally posted by arringtonhitz

IMHO last year proved that Smoot is better and more important than Champ. I know he had several injuries but to me I still don't understand the hype that Champ gets. To me he is overrated. With 5 - 10 more pounds on Smoot we will be more durable and with coaching will learn how to tackle. Let Champ go let him go rape another team. We don't need him, he isn't fit to sniff Darrell Green's retired jock. If he was he would have learned to be a team player instead of a me player. Is it me or doesn't that Bud commercial remind you of Bailey?? I think it does. I think the first game at home we have some signs that on one side says broken microwave, flip the signs and have Bailey's picture of being burnt by Booker and have a bolded BURNTED on it....

Any thoughts????

That's the only thing I don't like about Bailey. He doesn't get the big interception and take it to the house.

If Bailey can bring us a 1 and a 3 then he's got to go. Winfield would be a good replacement and he can't be as expensive as Champ would. And if the Falcons want him(as all the rumors say they do) then they have to fork over a 1 and a 3.

Gibbs is going to sit down,look at the films and see how bad our D-line is and believe me, first thing he's going to do is check out the free agent market on DT's. Then will see how the dominoes fall the rest of the way.

Originally posted by arringtonhitz

IMHO last year proved that Smoot is better and more important than Champ. I know he had several injuries but to me I still don't understand the hype that Champ gets. To me he is overrated. With 5 - 10 more pounds on Smoot we will be more durable and with coaching will learn how to tackle. Let Champ go let him go rape another team. We don't need him, he isn't fit to sniff Darrell Green's retired jock. If he was he would have learned to be a team player instead of a me player. Is it me or doesn't that Bud commercial remind you of Bailey?? I think it does. I think the first game at home we have some signs that on one side says broken microwave, flip the signs and have Bailey's picture of being burnt by Booker and have a bolded BURNTED on it....

Any thoughts????

That's the only thing I don't like about Bailey. He doesn't get the big interception and take it to the house.

If Bailey can bring us a 1 and a 3 then he's got to go. Winfield would be a good replacement and he can't be as expensive as Champ would. And if the Falcons want him(as all the rumors say they do) then they have to fork over a 1 and a 3.

Gibbs is going to sit down,look at the films and see how bad our D-line is and believe me, first thing he's going to do is check out the free agent market on DT's. Then will see how the dominoes fall the rest of the way.

Originally posted by Jay Master Jay

They were not throwing his way too much that explains the Pro Bowl every year so somebody thinks he can play. Too bad it's not his own fans just because he's a free agent and wants his share of the pie.

THANK U!!!! hit it right on the head Jay. he isn't getting interception cuz no one was throwing at him. Champ is a pro bowler and smoot looks like he should be one. u have to throw the ball sometime, even if u're goin againt 2 premire CBs!!!

---------------------------------------

0-16, 16-0, skins fan till i die!!!

Originally posted by Jay Master Jay

They were not throwing his way too much that explains the Pro Bowl every year so somebody thinks he can play. Too bad it's not his own fans just because he's a free agent and wants his share of the pie.

THANK U!!!! hit it right on the head Jay. he isn't getting interception cuz no one was throwing at him. Champ is a pro bowler and smoot looks like he should be one. u have to throw the ball sometime, even if u're goin againt 2 premire CBs!!!

---------------------------------------

0-16, 16-0, skins fan till i die!!!

You guys want Champ gone then let him go but we'll regret it. Smoot was getting torched I mean torched a year ago. He played well but were still 5-11. Champ sees everyone get paid he keeps his mouth closed. It's his turn Lavar is a great linebacker but I saw him getting ran over too. Why cant Champ get a new contract he's been here the longest. You want to go give Winfield 10 mil to come here and he's short. Why would Snyder let Champ go when there is no one better?

You guys want Champ gone then let him go but we'll regret it. Smoot was getting torched I mean torched a year ago. He played well but were still 5-11. Champ sees everyone get paid he keeps his mouth closed. It's his turn Lavar is a great linebacker but I saw him getting ran over too. Why cant Champ get a new contract he's been here the longest. You want to go give Winfield 10 mil to come here and he's short. Why would Snyder let Champ go when there is no one better?

Thank you and Winfield has 6 career ints Champ has 18 what is going on here? Every year we have a new DC why are we hating on Champ? Is it because he's a free agent and wants a chance for a nice contract? If he was on the market he would get 18 or 19 mil easily. We pay our players why cant we pay Champ? Give him his 16 or 17 mil and lets fill our holes at safety, DL and TE. We dont need to create more because we have a chance to be playing at this time next year and Champ is one of our leaders.

Thank you and Winfield has 6 career ints Champ has 18 what is going on here? Every year we have a new DC why are we hating on Champ? Is it because he's a free agent and wants a chance for a nice contract? If he was on the market he would get 18 or 19 mil easily. We pay our players why cant we pay Champ? Give him his 16 or 17 mil and lets fill our holes at safety, DL and TE. We dont need to create more because we have a chance to be playing at this time next year and Champ is one of our leaders.

Archived