Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Antoine Winfield should replace Champ

EvilMonkeyBoy

I don't want to get into the whole Champ should stay/go scenario again but I do wish we had a corner that makes things happen instead of "just" covering wide receivers. I would rather watch someone like Samari Rolle who may not have Champ's coverage talent but always seems to change the course of a game when I see him. Merely tackling a WR after the catch or breaking up passes doesn't justify being paid the most for a corner-back.

For the record Smoot looks as if he might have that game-changing attitude though.

IMHO last year proved that Smoot is better and more important than Champ. I know he had several injuries but to me I still don't understand the hype that Champ gets. To me he is overrated. With 5 - 10 more pounds on Smoot we will be more durable and with coaching will learn how to tackle. Let Champ go let him go rape another team. We don't need him, he isn't fit to sniff Darrell Green's retired jock. If he was he would have learned to be a team player instead of a me player. Is it me or doesn't that Bud commercial remind you of Bailey?? I think it does. I think the first game at home we have some signs that on one side says broken microwave, flip the signs and have Bailey's picture of being burnt by Booker and have a bolded BURNTED on it....

Any thoughts????

IMHO last year proved that Smoot is better and more important than Champ. I know he had several injuries but to me I still don't understand the hype that Champ gets. To me he is overrated. With 5 - 10 more pounds on Smoot we will be more durable and with coaching will learn how to tackle. Let Champ go let him go rape another team. We don't need him, he isn't fit to sniff Darrell Green's retired jock. If he was he would have learned to be a team player instead of a me player. Is it me or doesn't that Bud commercial remind you of Bailey?? I think it does. I think the first game at home we have some signs that on one side says broken microwave, flip the signs and have Bailey's picture of being burnt by Booker and have a bolded BURNTED on it....

Any thoughts????

Champ is much better in coverage than Winfield. Winfield though has a better game in run support which is strange since he's not that big. Winfield would help close down the edge rush that was the primary harm done to us in the running game this past season. In the end though, I want Champ back and to see him playing in a system that allows these players to be somewhat aggressive.

Champ is much better in coverage than Winfield. Winfield though has a better game in run support which is strange since he's not that big. Winfield would help close down the edge rush that was the primary harm done to us in the running game this past season. In the end though, I want Champ back and to see him playing in a system that allows these players to be somewhat aggressive.

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyBoy

Winfield would be a fabulous pickup, a upper-echleon coverman and a absolutely fantastic tackler, a good person to have in the locker room. He also has been with Greg Williams the past few years. He'd be cheaper than Woodson, Springs, or Bailey, and probably just as effective, if not moreso.

If we can franchise and trade Bailey for some first rounders, and get Winfield signed, this would be a dream offseason.

Brilliant idea!!!! Winfield is a top CB that is not commanding to be paid as the #1 at his position. I love Champ, but not if it comes w/ the price tag of him being the highest paid CB in the game.

EvilMonkey for GM! ;)

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyBoy

Winfield would be a fabulous pickup, a upper-echleon coverman and a absolutely fantastic tackler, a good person to have in the locker room. He also has been with Greg Williams the past few years. He'd be cheaper than Woodson, Springs, or Bailey, and probably just as effective, if not moreso.

If we can franchise and trade Bailey for some first rounders, and get Winfield signed, this would be a dream offseason.

Brilliant idea!!!! Winfield is a top CB that is not commanding to be paid as the #1 at his position. I love Champ, but not if it comes w/ the price tag of him being the highest paid CB in the game.

EvilMonkey for GM! ;)

if champ has to go....This definitly is the best plan....if he wants to stay he better get cheap quick....

I believe the presence of gibbs and williams may give him 2nd thoughts....

as for jevon kearse, money or not he won't leave a "winning team" would he?...if he has doubts about eddie george he might...:applause:

if champ has to go....This definitly is the best plan....if he wants to stay he better get cheap quick....

I believe the presence of gibbs and williams may give him 2nd thoughts....

as for jevon kearse, money or not he won't leave a "winning team" would he?...if he has doubts about eddie george he might...:applause:

Here is the bottom line. Champ has no impact on the football game. He shadows receivers but they still make catches on him, opposing QBs still look to his side of the field because they know their receiver will make the catch or the ball will fall harmlessly to the ground.

In the big picture, getting a FA corner for half of what Champ wants to do the same thing.... while saving valuable cap space.... and accumulating a two #1s or a #1 and a #3 is a no brainer. The team is improved in terms of cap health, and they get a chance to add an impact player or two in the draft, and they get a solid corner to do exactly what Champ does.

I say franchise champ with the intent to deal him somewhere else.

Here is the bottom line. Champ has no impact on the football game. He shadows receivers but they still make catches on him, opposing QBs still look to his side of the field because they know their receiver will make the catch or the ball will fall harmlessly to the ground.

In the big picture, getting a FA corner for half of what Champ wants to do the same thing.... while saving valuable cap space.... and accumulating a two #1s or a #1 and a #3 is a no brainer. The team is improved in terms of cap health, and they get a chance to add an impact player or two in the draft, and they get a solid corner to do exactly what Champ does.

I say franchise champ with the intent to deal him somewhere else.

Champ will remain a Redskin. When all is said and done, I dont think the argument can be made that their is a better cover corner in all of football. Yes he doesnt make the big plays that a Deion Sanders did, and this is why I think he should be very happy with the contract he was offered. Somehow they will get it done. Champ has been playing very well despite the lackluster defensive lines we have had. Cornerback is perhaps one of the hardest positions in football to play. To cover the fastest player on the field not knowing where they are going is extremeley difficult. Many people get upset they he gets beaten by a Steve Smith type of receiver for a play or two, but I think this should be expected because of the rigors of playing CB. He hardly ever gives up long plays though.

Champ will remain a Redskin. When all is said and done, I dont think the argument can be made that their is a better cover corner in all of football. Yes he doesnt make the big plays that a Deion Sanders did, and this is why I think he should be very happy with the contract he was offered. Somehow they will get it done. Champ has been playing very well despite the lackluster defensive lines we have had. Cornerback is perhaps one of the hardest positions in football to play. To cover the fastest player on the field not knowing where they are going is extremeley difficult. Many people get upset they he gets beaten by a Steve Smith type of receiver for a play or two, but I think this should be expected because of the rigors of playing CB. He hardly ever gives up long plays though.

I think we will surely see Champ Bailey's true colors in the next month when they sit down again to talk about a contract.

I have always felt that Champ said he wanted to be one of the highest paid players in the league because he wanted out of Washington. After the last few years who can blame him.

After hearing his remarks of him not just wanting the money but to play for a winner that chance is only gonna be here. The only teams I think that have the money for him would be the likes of Detroit, Minnesota, and Altlanta. If Im a player and it comes down to a few dollars and cents and coaching staffs and teams this is a no brainer.

I think we now have direction and a staff second to none in this league. Not to highlight just Gibbs, but Gregg Williams is gonna have people wanting to play for him as well.

To me it basically comes down to this for Champ and its GREED and if its only the money then he is tagged and traded fast.

AND, for all the Smoot lovers, I love the guy but he is not yet near where he needs to be as a player. I was at the Dallas-Skins game in Irving and paid attention to his play and he was not that good. He does make plays but is not quite there yet in my opinion.

I think we will surely see Champ Bailey's true colors in the next month when they sit down again to talk about a contract.

I have always felt that Champ said he wanted to be one of the highest paid players in the league because he wanted out of Washington. After the last few years who can blame him.

After hearing his remarks of him not just wanting the money but to play for a winner that chance is only gonna be here. The only teams I think that have the money for him would be the likes of Detroit, Minnesota, and Altlanta. If Im a player and it comes down to a few dollars and cents and coaching staffs and teams this is a no brainer.

I think we now have direction and a staff second to none in this league. Not to highlight just Gibbs, but Gregg Williams is gonna have people wanting to play for him as well.

To me it basically comes down to this for Champ and its GREED and if its only the money then he is tagged and traded fast.

AND, for all the Smoot lovers, I love the guy but he is not yet near where he needs to be as a player. I was at the Dallas-Skins game in Irving and paid attention to his play and he was not that good. He does make plays but is not quite there yet in my opinion.

I would love to see Champ jump on the Gibbs bandwagon and become on of those 18-20 "core" Redskins. Unfortunately, I really feel like he is a "me-first" type of guy, will clamor for megabucks and be replaced. I hope it doesn't happen but I sure don't get a warm, fuzzy feeling when I think about it.

I would love to see Champ jump on the Gibbs bandwagon and become on of those 18-20 "core" Redskins. Unfortunately, I really feel like he is a "me-first" type of guy, will clamor for megabucks and be replaced. I hope it doesn't happen but I sure don't get a warm, fuzzy feeling when I think about it.

Archived