Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBSNews School principal was framed using AI-generated racist rant, police say. A co-worker is now charged.

Destino

BALTIMORE -- A former high school athletic director was arrested Thursday morning after allegedly using artificial intelligence to impersonate the school principal in a recording that included racist and antisemitic comments about individuals at the school. 

Dazhon Darien is facing charges including theft, stalking, disruption of school operations and retaliation against a witness. 

Investigators determined he faked principal Eric Eiswert's voice and circulated the audio on social media in January. Darien's nickname, DJ, was among the names mentioned in the audio clips he allegedly faked, according to the Baltimore County State's Attorney's Office.

https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/news/maryland-framed-principal-racist-ai-generated-voice/

what’s crazy about this is that none of the people involved in this are high profile or wealthy. This is just office politics between two regular middle class people. This could happen to everyone, and while they caught it this time… look at the damage already done. Months off the job and so much rage directed at this guy. And this was only caught because someone with influence questioned it, in many offices they’d worry more about damage to themselves than any employee and err on the side of caution (and no lengthy investigation.)

this can happen to anyone. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

• Destino changed the title to CBSNews School principal was framed using AI-generated racist rant, police say. A co-worker is now charged.

I read that story on the train home yesterday it was pretty scary what people can do now. we all laugh at the LeBron Ai videos and Ai Trump talking about Mexican food but what happens when ai is used for malicious purposes by bad actors! 

• Thumb up 1

This is just the start. This **** is going to get out of control quick. 

I’ve been prepping my staff for months about this stuff. At the start there was some eye rolling but so far my concerns have been proven to be valid as the use of generative AI for malicious purposes continues to grow. 

just last week I gave company wide training on how everyone’s social media use, our relationships with public figures or well known/active organizations, the large effort of putting out content as well as everyone’s background publishing articles since college… has created an immense amount of data to use to train a generative ai model to sound and speak like them, or their clients, or their clients staff. 

I think I finally scared the **** out of them and the eye rolling has stopped. Lots of people stoped by my office or called later in the week to talk to me about it. 

you all surely remember years ago when someone was able to trick two NFL gms into believe the other wanted to negotiate a trade, and then got them both on the phone talking to each other about it?

that was funny but this new technology is going to cause havoc in the private sector when people that know how to use it correctly start doing so. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

I embrace technology, but AI scares me. It has benefits like social media did when MySpace really took off. This is the same thing to me. It can do some good, but put it in the hands of average idiots with vengeance, it's like throwing kerosene on an existing fire. I'm a principal and keep telling my admin team and teachers pretty much what tshile said

Edited by Busch1724
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

This is just the start. This **** is going to get out of control quick. 

I’ve been prepping my staff for months about this stuff. At the start there was some eye rolling but so far my concerns have been proven to be valid as the use of generative AI for malicious purposes continues to grow. 

just last week I gave company wide training on how everyone’s social media use, our relationships with public figures or well known/active organizations, the large effort of putting out content as well as everyone’s background publishing articles since college… has created an immense amount of data to use to train a generative ai model to sound and speak like them, or their clients, or their clients staff. 

I think I finally scared the **** out of them and the eye rolling has stopped. Lots of people stoped by my office or called later in the week to talk to me about it. 

you all surely remember years ago when someone was able to trick two NFL gms into believe the other wanted to negotiate a trade, and then got them both on the phone talking to each other about it?

that was funny but this new technology is going to cause havoc in the private sector when people that know how to use it correctly start doing so. 

It's already happened:

Deepfake scammer walks off with $25 million in first-of-its-kind AI heist