Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Hiring a cheater on and off the field sounds snyderesque, no way, Russini is out of her mind.

I agree please no Belicheat! I don’t care if he’s a Hall of Famer, he’s over the hill. Hire the next young hot shot GM like the Orioles did with Elias, and then sit back and watch him build us a winner! 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

To find the NFL version of Elias, look to the most steady and successful organization which right now is the ravens. So for me Hortiz sounds like the best hire. Regardless, I can’t wait to FINALLY have a top notch GM!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Hiring a cheater on and off the field sounds snyderesque, no way, Russini is out of her mind.

While stories persist about BB wanting to come to Washington, I can't believe that Harris would allow that to happen. Here is another rave review about BB. Hopefully it gets slipped into Josh's daily brief.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bill-belichick-branded-miserable-and-mediocre-in-damning-tom-brady-assessment/ar-AA1mvJMm

>>Bill Belichick branded "miserable" and "mediocre" in damning Tom Brady assessment

Legendary American Football coach, Bill Belichick has been described as "mediocre" with a critical reporter attributing his years of success to team member and star player Tom Brady. Meanwhile, Belichick's character has come under fire.

This season has seen Bill Belichick's New England Patriots fare poorly on the turf. After 29 years of coaching, it is Belichick's worst record yet, ending with just four wins and many suggesting he'll get the boot from the Patriots.

Since Tom Brady exited the team in 2019, the Patriots' performance took a nose dive. In the past four years, they failed to reach the playoffs three times and ended with a weak track record.

A journalist, who has been following Belichick's career for thirty years,'s sharp critique includes painting him a "mediocre" coach who mainly benefited from Bradys brilliance.

Belichick has also received stinging comments about his inadequate media manners, being cold and succinct, and past teammates affirm that he displayed the same treatment in the locker room.

Ex-NFL reporter Bart Hubbuch has shared his thoughts on William Stephen Belichick, the Patriots' coach. He told The Guardian : "I had no dealings with him again (before covering him in the 1990's with the Browns) until I started covering the NFL for the New York Post in 2010, and by then, he was in full 'impossible' mode especially with the New York media."

He wasn't a fan of dealing with the updated version of Belichick either, saying, "I hated dealing with the modern Belichick. He's just a miserable, vindictive person who went out of his way to make our jobs as difficult as possible."

Hubbuch also suggested that it was American footballer Tom Brady and not Belichick who was the key to the team's success, stating: "Having Brady really went to his head, because Belichick's record without Brady really shows he is a mediocre coach, at best, who lucked into a generational talent."

The claims about Belichick being inferior without Brady have been made before. Former Patriots star Asante Samuel, who won two Super Bowl titles while working with both Brady and Belichick during his five-year tenure with the franchise, made similar remarks.

In an interview with CBS on NFL, Samuel dismissed the idea that Belichick was the best coach of all time. His response was: "Absolutely not! Are you crazy? Look at his record without Brady. You got to win without Tom. One thing I learned about being great is you got to be great in different situations."

According to Samuel, the credit for the team's success should go to Brady: "It was all Tom. I was there. I saw it. It was Tom. Everybody knows it. Tom knows it. But he ain't gonna admit it because he wanna be politically correct."

"That's why I'm here. Imma tell the truth... I've been there, I've seen it; I confronted him, and we've been through it, and that's how I do."

Reports say Belichick wants to keep coaching even if he leaves the Patriots. A decision might come on 'Black Monday' next week.<<

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Andre The Giant said:

In this article, Russini mentions the Commander’s are keeping tabs on his situation.

Statements like this are essentially worthless.

Let’s say she has a contact in the Washington organization that she sometimes gets info from.  She asks if it seems like the ownership would be interested in Belichick, and they tell her “we are keeping tabs on the situation”.

Does that actually mean something?  Everyone in the NFL and all NFL fans are keeping tabs on the situation, aren’t they?  

• Thumb up 1

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My money is on Keim over Russini.  Keim doesn't expect them to chase Belichick.  Having said that, not crazy to interview him.  Belichick is a smart dude.  Especially considering he played this team, I'd be curious about what he thinks about the roster.  But i wouldn't hire him.

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 11.27.10 AM.png

SIP, check his record out w/o Tom Brady.  He's a loser.  I followed him when he was in Cleveland.  He stunk as a HC.  Decent DC but that's it.  He's old and his time has passed him by.  Here is his record w/o Brady:  Belichick's record in 179 games as an NFL head coach without Brady as his starting quarterback is 82-97, including a 1-2 mark in the playoffs.  **** Stay away from this retread HC! ****

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, RWJ said:

SIP, check his record out w/o Tom Brady.  He's a loser.  I followed him when he was in Cleveland.  He stunk as a HC.  Decent DC but that's it.  He's old and his time has passed him by.  Here is his record w/o Brady:  Belichick's record in 179 games as an NFL head coach without Brady as his starting quarterback is 82-97, including a 1-2 mark in the playoffs.  **** Stay away from this retread HC! ****

I am aware.  I am in no need of convincing.  I've been out on Bill from the jump.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

So where does Belichick go? Some people think he’ll have a choice of a few jobs. Others think he could be shut out.

I’d guess that whatever happens next week, it won’t catch Belichick by surprise.

These things can be backchanneled, and Belichick’s been around for a long time, and has been involved in these sorts of things in the past. So it’d be surprising if he didn’t have a feel for the landscape before next week. What’d also be surprising is if there’s an absolute land rush for his services, and that’s no affront to him.

His situation is a bit like his old quarterback’s was four years ago. Tom Brady had only two real suitors at the end (Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Los Angeles Chargers), and the reason why is that you had to check a lot of boxes—from money to roster makeup to geography to comfort level with an existing setup—to truly be in the running. It’s going to be similar with Belichick. A team facing a massive rebuild probably isn’t hiring a 71-year-old coach. And a 71-year-old probably wouldn’t be all that keen on embarking on some sort of five-year plan.

• I’d be surprised if new Washington Commanders owner Josh Harris goes in on Belichick or Harbaugh, and that’s because a lot of his work has been done looking at NFL models, rather than just individuals, should he look to reshape his franchise as expected.

I don’t know whether he’s settled on a model yet, but I have heard he’s intrigued by the Baltimore Ravens and Philadelphia Eagles, and how they’ve built their football operations out. But the fall hire of Eugene Shen, who started as an NFL analytics guy working for John Harbaugh, is at least one sign of which way that might go, and one that could lead Washington looking at guys like Ravens director of player personnel Joe Hortiz or defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald.

At any rate, I’d expect a relatively wide-open search, and one that reflects, as one person with knowledge of the situation put it, “This ain’t basketball.” (In other words, this won’t be a football reboot on what the Philadelphia Sixers or New Jersey Devils have done under Harris’s stewardship.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Reviewing box scores from the early stages of Brady’s career, especially in playoff games, and seeking insights from opposing quarterbacks about how they credit his performance could shed light on the dynamics between great coaching and a great quarterback. They both were great and the credit flowed either direction game to game. 

Even on the offensive side Bill was ahead of his time with the spread offense and quick pass game—that doesn’t happen without his fingerprints on it whether you consider a defensive coach only. 

12 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Harris should have a GM in place by Jan 15th, if I had to guess if not sooner.  I think Shen/Harris know who they want and other than 3 or so interviews it gets done w/in a week or sooner. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am aware.  I am in no need of convincing.  I've been out on Bill from the jump.

Must find elite some place. He remains elite on the defensive side of the ball. If that’s an option I’m okay with it. 

I like the Raven poaching model put out there myself. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

• I’d be surprised if new Washington Commanders owner Josh Harris goes in on Belichick or Harbaugh, and that’s because a lot of his work has been done looking at NFL models, rather than just individuals, should he look to reshape his franchise as expected.

I don’t know whether he’s settled on a model yet, but I have heard he’s intrigued by the Baltimore Ravens and Philadelphia Eagles, and how they’ve built their football operations out. But the fall hire of Eugene Shen, who started as an NFL analytics guy working for John Harbaugh, is at least one sign of which way that might go, and one that could lead Washington looking at guys like Ravens director of player personnel Joe Hortiz or defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald.

Go get them, Josh!

5 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Reviewing box scores from the early stages of Brady’s career, especially in playoff games, and seeking insights from opposing quarterbacks about how they credit his performance could shed light on the dynamics between great coaching and a great quarterback. They both were great and the credit flowed either direction game to game. 

Even on the offensive side Bill was ahead of his time with the spread offense and quick pass game—that doesn’t happen without his fingerprints on it whether you consider a defensive coach only. 

Bill's record w/o Brady speaks for itself, wit33. I didn't make it up, Brother. :) 

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:
17 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Harris should have a GM in place by Jan 15th

Would a guy like Horitz leave the Ravens before the end of the playoffs for them? I could see a Dawn Aponte as team President by then with interviews with front office guys from other teams like Hortiz or Peters in process but they don't leave until after their team has played their final game. 

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Must find elite some place. He remains elite on the defensive side of the ball. If that’s an option I’m okay with it. 

I don't want a HC on their 2nd act let alone their 3rd and already in their 70s.

I get the vibe that his no frills no fun approach to coaching has worn thin.  He is in the running to be one of the worst drafter in the NFL in the last 10 years or so and even if he doesn't demand GM control, hard for me to imagine he wouldn't want serious input on the drafts.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

Just now, @DCGoldPants said:

Would a guy like Horitz leave the Ravens before the end of the playoffs for them? I could see a Dawn Aponte as team President by then with interviews with front office guys from other teams like Hortiz or Peters in process but they don't leave until after their team has played their final game. 

No way.  That's common sense.  He stays until they are eliminated or win it all.  I be willing to go out on a limb and say he'd be bringing the top 3 DC in the NFL with him, Mike MacDonald as HC.  :) He'd interview others but in the end he wants his guy.  

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't want a HC on their 2nd act let alone their 3rd and already in theirt 70s.

I get the vive that his no frills no fun approach to coaching has worn thin.  He is the running to be one of the worst drafter in the NFL in the last 10 years or so and even if he doesn't demand GM control, hard for me to imagine he wouldn't want serious input on the drafts.

Yep, Boring.  He needs to go out and be thankful for all he was able to accomplish.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

I’m cool with interviewing folks from the Ravens, but no guarantee that model will be successful. 

The Browns previously hired Ravens’ Phil Savage as GM, and the Jags hired Ravens’ Shaq Harris as GM.  Neither worked out. Both worked for Ozzie.

The Colts hired Ravens DC Chuck Pagano as HC, while the Jets hired Ravens DC Rex Ryan as HC. Neither was super successful. 

To me, you’re taking a risk anytime you hire an unproven GM or HC.  Doesn’t mean it can’t work, but I’d definitely personally be interested in potential folks who’ve had proven success (Harbaugh, BB, etc).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andre The Giant said:

I’m cool with interviewing folks from the Ravens, but no guarantee that model will be successful. 

The Browns previously hired Ravens’ Phil Savage as GM, and the Jags hired Ravens’ Shaq Harris as GM.  Neither worked out. Both worked for Ozzie.

The Colts hired Ravens DC Chuck Pagano as HC, while the Jets hired Ravens DC Rex Ryan as HC. Neither was super successful. 

To me, you’re taking a risk anytime you hire an unproven GM or HC.  Doesn’t mean it can’t work, but I’d definitely personally be interested in potential folks who’ve had proven success (Harbaugh, BB, etc).

Browns had a good year, this year, yes?  Hortiz was interviewed by the Giants in 2022 and there are a lot of people on twitter that are sorry they didn't hire him as their new GM then.

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 12.39.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 12.40.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 12.40.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 12.40.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 12.41.16 PM.png

"I just think he's a wizard," Smith said. "He more so finds out what teams struggle with, (what) a team’s weakness is and our strength and being able to make those into a game plan situation."

There's a noticeable contrast between Macdonald and Todd Monken, Baltimore's 57-year-old offensive coordinator, when the two talk to reporters on Thursdays. If anything, it's Monken — with his entertaining candor and occasional profanity — who sounds more like the stereotypical defensive coach. But Macdonald's reserved demeanor doesn't reflect his team's aggression level.

The Ravens have an NFL-high 54 sacks. It's hard to believe, but there were actually some concerns about the pass rush coming into the season. Baltimore signed Jadeveon Clowney in mid-August, and he's been terrific. So has Kyle Van Noy, who didn't come on board until late September.

That pass rush will be tested against the Dolphins, given Tua Tagovailoa's ability to release the ball quickly. Miami won't be at full strength, with standout receiver Jaylen Waddle ruled out Friday because of an ankle injury. Star safety Kyle Hamilton (knee) is questionable for the Ravens after missing practice Friday.

"Something we’re always stressing is marrying the rush and coverage together," Macdonald said. "It’s easy to say, we want to disguise and lie to the quarterback, but if it’s a progression read, it’s very difficult if they’re just looking at spots, and his eyes are very disciplined. Obviously, they have really fast guys that they can create space. We’re going to try our best to try and disrupt some timing and obviously our rushing coverage."

Baltimore's defense passed one big test against the 49ers, but another one awaits. If the Ravens come through again, teams in search of a new head coach may take notice.

"We’ve got to finish out what we’ve started here, but if that were to happen, it would be much deserved," Hamilton said. "He's a young, bright star in our league, and just like the players are executing at a high level, so is he, and we don’t do that without him and all the other people on the staff."

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/mike-macdonalds-defense-in-baltimore-has-him-rising-as-a-possible-head-coaching-candidate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But they know the truth, that the 36-year-old Macdonald, with considerable help from a rising group of stars led by Roquan Smith, Hamilton and Justin Madubuike, has built a defense that might stand among the best in Ravens history. And he will likely be rewarded, if not this offseason then sometime soon, with his own team to shape.

Macdonald’s tactical signatures have become familiar. He’s more deceiver than bully, spinning “lies” to the offense in the form of cornerbacks blitzing from the edge and 350-pound nose tackles dropping into zone coverage. Defensive tackles stunt around inside linebackers. Nickel backs delay an extra beat before rushing from the slot. Was that 338-pound Travis Jones lining up at defensive end against the fleet 49ers? Yes, and he helped bother Purdy into an interception.

“They do a lot of varied defenses,” Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel, one of the best young offensive minds in the sport, told Miami reporters. “I’ve been so impressed with the defense now compared to the last time we played them, and they were a very good defense then.”

Players dig the unfamiliar roles Macdonald thrusts them into, the way he asks them to attack at the moment the offense least expects it. Even if an opponent gouges them early, as the 49ers did, they trust they’ll get in more licks by the end of the night.

“The way Mike called the game is second to none in this league,” Smith said after the win. “I just love playing in this defense.”

The Pro Bowl linebacker, who speaks Macdonald’s plans into existence on the field, expanded Thursday: “I just think he’s a wizard. He finds out what teams struggle with, teams’ weaknesses and our strengths, and he’s able to make those into a game plan situation. And just having everybody on the same page throughout the week and on game day, just ready to rock and roll. I think it’s pretty sweet.”

Players gush about how tactics that look complicated on game day sound simple during the week when Macdonald teaches them.

“He just makes sense,” outside linebacker Odafe Oweh said. “If something works, why would you not want to do it?”

https://www.baltimoresun.com/2023/12/29/ravens-mike-macdonald-head-coach-candidate/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But they know the truth, that the 36-year-old Macdonald, with considerable help from a rising group of stars led by Roquan Smith, Hamilton and Justin Madubuike, has built a defense that might stand among the best in Ravens history. And he will likely be rewarded, if not this offseason then sometime soon, with his own team to shape.

Macdonald’s tactical signatures have become familiar. He’s more deceiver than bully, spinning “lies” to the offense in the form of cornerbacks blitzing from the edge and 350-pound nose tackles dropping into zone coverage. Defensive tackles stunt around inside linebackers. Nickel backs delay an extra beat before rushing from the slot. Was that 338-pound Travis Jones lining up at defensive end against the fleet 49ers? Yes, and he helped bother Purdy into an interception.

“They do a lot of varied defenses,” Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel, one of the best young offensive minds in the sport, told Miami reporters. “I’ve been so impressed with the defense now compared to the last time we played them, and they were a very good defense then.”

Players dig the unfamiliar roles Macdonald thrusts them into, the way he asks them to attack at the moment the offense least expects it. Even if an opponent gouges them early, as the 49ers did, they trust they’ll get in more licks by the end of the night.

“The way Mike called the game is second to none in this league,” Smith said after the win. “I just love playing in this defense.”

The Pro Bowl linebacker, who speaks Macdonald’s plans into existence on the field, expanded Thursday: “I just think he’s a wizard. He finds out what teams struggle with, teams’ weaknesses and our strengths, and he’s able to make those into a game plan situation. And just having everybody on the same page throughout the week and on game day, just ready to rock and roll. I think it’s pretty sweet.”

Players gush about how tactics that look complicated on game day sound simple during the week when Macdonald teaches them.

“He just makes sense,” outside linebacker Odafe Oweh said. “If something works, why would you not want to do it?”

https://www.baltimoresun.com/2023/12/29/ravens-mike-macdonald-head-coach-candidate/

One BIG time analytical freak and nerd who loves the game of football and knows how to teach it and get the players to buy in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1