Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thank you from a dad taking his son to his first game

NewCliche21

I haven't been to a game at FedEx since RGIII blew his ACL. I've been to Dallas, I've been to Philly, and I've been to NY (thank you again for those opportunities @TK they meant the world), but I haven't been "home."

My son was born a few days before our opener vs. Miami in 2015.  We live in the Philly market. His sister was born a couple years later when Philly won the whole thing.  It has been hell being out here, especially as my kids entered school.  We sucked, and our owner was a piece of ****.  How do you defend a team you love while your kid is growing up in an enemy area where they're doing everything right and we're just so . . . Redskins? It's been atrocious at our delusional best.   At my son's age, we had just won the Super Bowl and I was in Columbia, MD, at home. This was the opposite.

Then we sold the team. I thought, "This is what Eminem was talking about. It's my one shot, my one opportunity, and I'm not gonna let it slip. Or eat my mom's spaghetti."

I snapped up tickets to the opener, which was the day after my son's eighth birthday.

He's never been too into the team, because frankly I've shielded him from anything but highlights. But I took him.  I bought the wrong parking (Green F, I didn't realize that wasn't where ES was, I just remembered Green), and we got there around 11 coming from Delaware. Our seats were up in 453 because they were as close to 402 (where I had tickets in 2006 and 2007) as I could get. We had a tornado in our neighborhood a few months ago, so there's an understandable fear from my son about the weather, which wasn't forecast to be 72 and sunny.

We finally get to the lot, and I couldn't find a spot.  I thought I spotted one, and I rolled the window down to a random fan to ask if that spot were open, and this guy cleared out traffic and asked people sitting in the spot to move over, and it was perfect. He was so kind, so were the people who moved, making my son feel so welcome when I told them it was his first game.  That kindness repeated itself over and over throughout the entire game, from the fans to the staff. Aside from our offense, it couldn't have gone better.

To anyone who we encountered, thank you. It was like a storybook, it was just everything I could've asked for. I ****ing love this team, I love our fans, and my son has been firmly baptized into our fandom.  It meant the world to me. Thank you beyond words.

• Like 20
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

Brought my 8 year old son (hasn’t been since he was 2, so it was like his first game as he doesn’t remember those days) and 4 year old girl

would just like to add - everyone was awesome, nice, and helpful. They had a great time. Was a great experience all the way around

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

We finally get to the lot, and I couldn't find a spot.  I thought I spotted one, and I rolled the window down to a random fan to ask if that spot were open, and this guy cleared out traffic and asked people sitting in the spot to move over, and it was perfect. He was so kind, so were the people who moved, making my son feel so welcome when I told them it was his first game.  That kindness repeated itself over and over throughout the entire game, from the fans to the staff. Aside from our offense, it couldn't have gone better.

Awesome that you had an enjoyable experience with your son, and this tidbit is especially nice to hear.  There was a season, probably about 10-ish years ago, where they started to at least attempt to funnel people into a specific letter lot instead of just being able to park wherever according to what color permit you had. We had tickets for the season opener, and were used to parking in orange and getting to the stadium around 1145 am, and always coming into the stadium via Morgan Blvd. Unfortunately, we had green that day, in a lot on the other side from the Morgan entrance, and got sort of turned around and had to deal with a bit of gridlock before finally getting into the lot around 1215 am. There were few empty spaces left, but we found one and, like you, people had to clear their chairs out of the spot so we could pull in. As my mom and I were walking from the car, one of the fat women tailgating slams my car with her fist and yells "next time get here earlier!" ****.

They really need to take a closer look at parking and make some changes. You said you got there around 11 and tried to find a spot in Green F and were having trouble? We got there yesterday around 1030 and parked in Orange A55, and there were tons of spaces. We hung out in the car until around 1145 and there seemed like a lot of empty spaces open. And then walked through the silver/platinum area, and there was basically an entire lot that was empty, except for the spaces next to the stadium under the solar panels. When we exited the game a little after 4, that area was still all empty.

I always said the most stressful part of attending a game is trying to find a parking spot. No matter what color you are in, nobody should get to an event an hour early and have to worry about that.

Edited by hail2skins
  • Thumb up 3

Wow, I can't believe she said that to a fellow Skins fan.  That's some Philly **** right there.

Yeah, I saw that area, too.  I'm just trying to park, traffic sucks, just live and let live. I thought there would be more people directing where to park like at other places and events.  Then again, it's also the latest I've ever gotten to a game. I just didn't want to bring an eight-year-old the day after his birthday party and have to leave the house at seven.  He'd have been miserable no matter what.

Hopefully they can throw some of the $40M into that part of things. There were plenty of staff, they were just all by the fork in the road where you go to Orange or Green. Didn't need that many people there since nobody was moving anyway.