Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KATU: Chemical found in 'widely used sweetener' damages human DNA, new study says

China

Chemical found in 'widely used sweetener' damages human DNA, new study says

According to a new study, a chemical that forms when humans digest a certain type of "widely used" sweetener is "genotoxic," meaning it damages DNA.

That chemical is also said to be found in the sweetener itself in trace amounts and researchers claim "the finding raises questions about how the sweetener may contribute to health problems."

Previous work from the new study's research team "established that several fat-soluble compounds are produced in the gut after sucralose ingestion," according to NC State's news release, adding that "one of these compounds is sucralose-6-acetate."

The new work now "establishes that sucralose-6-acetate is genotoxic" according to Susan Schiffman, corresponding author of the study and an adjunct professor in the joint department of biomedical engineering at North Carolina State University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, who is quoted in the release.

We also found that trace amounts of sucralose-6-acetate can be found in off-the-shelf sucralose, even before it is consumed and metabolized," Schiffman added.

To put this in context, the European Food Safety Authority has a threshold of toxicological concern for all genotoxic substances of 0.15 micrograms per person per day,” Schiffman explains. “Our work suggests that the trace amounts of sucralose-6-acetate in a single, daily sucralose-sweetened drink exceed that threshold. And that’s not even accounting for the amount of sucralose-6-acetate produced as metabolites after people consume sucralose."

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 1

Splenda.  Are they afraid of a lawsuit?  Sucralose is the main ingredient in Splenda. 

And... Splenda responded:

To summarize, the study never tested Splenda products and focused on an impurity that is not present in our products.  Unfortunately, the study itself and the Public Relations and media coverage of this study falsely informed you that this was about Splenda brand products, which led to confusion and the spreading of misinformation. Zero-calorie sweeteners and Splenda brand products are absolutely safe and effective, and have been used by millions of people for over 25 years. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Splenda contains sucralose but not the sucralose-6-acetate which is what the NCSU n UNC study found to be toxic. Doubt they're worried about a lawsuit as much as people conflating the two sucraloses which could hurt sales.

The article says 

25 minutes ago, China said:

That chemical is also said to be found in the sweetener itself in trace amounts

and that sucralose-6-acetate is a metabolic byproduct of digesting sucralose.  So, they're connected.  I imagine they're worried.  

I know I'm looking at my Monster Energy drinks that contain sucralose differently.

• Haha 1

Well at least Monster drinks don't taste like chemicals like things like Red Bull do.  Ultra Sunrise tastes like orange.  Iced Tea and Lemonade tastes like iced tea and lemonade, not like something from Dow Chemical.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I've only ever had the monster juice khaos. Mixes well with orange juice and psilocybin. Faster and stronger than any lemon tek. Tho the sooper crunchy hippies say to avoid it because of the splenda. 🤓

Also stevia is awful. Talk about a good way to ruin a cup of coffee. Sugar certainly ain't good for one's health but the alternatives are certainly lacking in the taste department. 

I don't drink anything that's chemicals. That includes colas etc. I stopped several years ago because I can't afford it. I drink orange juice, grapefruit juice, and decafe iced tea that I brew myself. And plain water occasionally. Iced tea is unsweetened by anything except sometimes I mix it with orange juice. 

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Thumb up 1

This study looks like it might put Splenda out of business, and cause a drastic change in what artificial sweeteners are used in a variety of products

Studies in a rodent model found that sucralose-6-acetate is also present in fecal samples with levels up to 10% relative to sucralose which suggest that sucralose is also acetylated in the intestines. A MultiFlow® assay, a high-throughput genotoxicity screening tool, and a micronucleus (MN) test that detects cytogenetic damage both indicated that sucralose-6-acetate is genotoxic. The mechanism of action was classified as clastogenic (produces DNA strand breaks) using the MultiFlow® assay. The amount of sucralose-6-acetate in a single daily sucralose-sweetened drink might far exceed the threshold of toxicological concern for genotoxicity

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10937404.2023.2213903

Yikes.

• Thanks 1