Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GN: Gordon Lightfoot, legendary Canadian singer-songwriter, dead at 84

China

Gordon Lightfoot, legendary Canadian singer-songwriter, dead at 84

Gordon Lightfoot, often called Canada’s greatest songwriter and known worldwide as one of the founding fathers of folk-rock, has died at age 84, a representative for his family said.

Lightfoot died at a Toronto hospital on Monday evening, said Victoria Lord, the musician’s longtime publicist. A cause of death was not immediately available.

The musician recently cancelled all of his 2023 tour dates, citing “health-related issues.” His representatives did not elaborate further at the time.

An iconic figure in the ‘60s and ‘70s, Lightfoot wrote many songs that transcended borders and music tastes, including The Wreck of Edmund Fitzgerald, Ribbon of Darkness and If You Could Read My Mind, among many, many others.

Click on the link for the full article

I saw him in concert a few years back.  Unfortunately it was after his surgery, and his voice wasn't what it was in his prime.  Still, an iconic singer/songwriter:

• Sad 6

Saw him about ten years ago.  A very enjoyable show.  He had definitely slowed down but he was surrounded by consummate musicians and they carried him a bit, it seemed, out of deference and respect. It was my first real outing after being laid up for some time so it had a little extra meaning for me there.  Always loved his music.  Canadian Railroad Trilogy and the story he told on stage about it was a particular joy. RIP