Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Science: Men lose Y chromosomes as they age. It may be harming their hearts

China

Men lose Y chromosomes as they age. It may be harming their hearts

As men get older, they don’t just lose their hair, muscle tone, and knee cartilage. They also start to lose Y chromosomes from their cells. Scientists have linked this vanishing to a long list of diseases and a higher risk of death, but the evidence has been circumstantial. Now, researchers report that when they removed the Y chromosome from male mice, the animals died earlier than their Y-carrying counterparts, likely because their hearts became stiffer.

“This is the best evidence to date” that losing the Y chromosome is detrimental to health, says John Perry, a human geneticist at the University of Cambridge. Perry led one of the biggest studies on the frequency of Y chromosome loss in men, but wasn’t connected to the new research.

Despite its macho reputation, the Y chromosome is a pipsqueak, carrying a mere 71 genes—less than one-tenth as many as the X chromosome. That may be why the chromosome sometimes doesn’t get passed on when a cell divides. Analyzing blood samples is the easiest way to detect loss of Y, and researchers have found the chromosome is missing from at least some white blood cells in about 40% of 70-year-olds and 57% of 93-year-olds. In some older men, more than 80% of the cells can be short a Y chromosome.

Cells can survive and reproduce without a Y, but men lacking the chromosome in some of their cells are more likely to suffer from heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, and other aging-related ailments. Moreover, the condition could be a reason why men die on average about 5 years earlier than women in the United States, says molecular biologist Kenneth Walsh of the University of Virginia.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

No idea how to unpack this. 

My dad passed away last month at the age of almost 85 and my mom who is couple of years younger is still here so this article now makes so much sense now. Guys go before gals.  My dad had heart failure.

On my wife's side of the family, her dad passed away last year and was 77. Her grandfather went before her grandmother (who lived almost 95 years). My grandfather went before grandmother.

This is now all sinking in. :(

Edited by zCommander
  • Sad 2