Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hotel Resort Fees

No Nonsense

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

My kids private school. 🤣

Ultimately, they charge my law firm. I don't get angry about it. 

Yes, but you’re using it. With today’s technology, they should know who’s using it and who’s not. The same with everything else. 

If they can tell if you’ve move a can of soda, they can tell who’s sending fax, who’s using WiFi and who’s using the exercise room. 

3 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Yes, but you’re using it. With today’s technology, they should know who’s using it and who’s not. The same with everything else. 

If they can tell if you’ve move a can of soda, they can tell who’s sending fax, who’s using WiFi and who’s using the exercise room. 

Oh yes, they know.  They don't care.  If you have a problem with that, then don't go to that hotel/resort.  Everyone is in agreement here.  You don't want to go, the hotel doesn't want you.  The system works.  

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Oh yes, they know.  They don't care.  If you have a problem with that, then don't go to that hotel/resort.  Everyone is in agreement here.  You don't want to go, the hotel doesn't want you.  The system works.  

Just to let you know, Congress is supposedly looking into these resort fees. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Yeah they've been saying that for years now. Won't happen. Lobbyists will make sure to pay off enough pro business Republicans to ensure it.

Yes, they have. You’re probably right, but we’ll see if it really pick up steam. 

4 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Just to let you know, Congress is supposedly looking into these resort fees. 

I get the annoyance and agree that they should just roll it into the initial price (like Airlines are required to do).  It's truth in advertising and that's what Congress and the FTC are looking into (drip pricing).

I get the sense that your grievance goes a step further and it's about being forced to pay for services you don't use.  While I understand your annoyance on that front, it's really not all that different from many other packaged services (I can't ask for a discount on my plane ticket cause my bags are lighter or because I won't use the in flight entertainment).  It would be nice if hotels didn't package all those in and allowed a la carte, but it kind of is what it is.

Just now, No Nonsense said:

Yes, they have. You’re probably right, but we’ll see if it really pick up steam. 

Can you please provide a link to something indicating that Congress is legitimately looking into hotel fees as you assert?  Which Congress people?  Is there a bill?  What are they actually doing?    

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Can you please provide a link to something indicating that Congress is legitimately looking into hotel fees as you assert?  Which Congress people?  Is there a bill?  What are they actually doing?    

I bet he leaves without responding to this. 

13 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/4489/text?r=1&s=1#:~:text=Introduced in House (09%2F25%2F2019)&text=To prohibit unfair and deceptive,places of short-term lodging.&text=To prohibit unfair and deceptive,places of short-term lodging.

It's a bipartisan bill. I think one of the Republicans from Nebraska was also in on this. 

Just now, Captain Wiggles said:

Hotel Advertising Transparency Act of 2019

OF 2019.  According to math, that's 3 years ago.  

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Hotel Advertising Transparency Act of 2019

OF 2019.  According to math, that's 3 years ago.  

To be fair, it was a bill that died towards the end of 2019.  Obviously since the spring of 2020, there was neither the need nor the appetite to aim a bill against the battered hotel industry.

The fight about hotel industry's transparency regarding the resort fee has been around a while and I think that's pretty fair game for improvement (I think it has gotten better though).

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

So, if you actually know how to research Congressional legislation, it becomes clear that NOTHING is happening with hotel fees, very contrary to No Nonsense's bull**** assertations.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/4489/all-actions-without-amendments?s=1&r=6

Yup. As I said congress has discussed it for years but nothing is likely to be done about it. 🤷‍♂️

At the very least, if those fees aren’t eliminated (they should be) the hotel industry will have to follow the same rules as the airline industry and add the fees into the rate of the room upfront. 

And there have been discussions since 2019. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

The fight about hotel industry's transparency regarding the resort fee has been around a while and I think that's pretty fair game for improvement (I think it has gotten better though).

Stop it. 

To be fair, there is no evidence that congress is actually looking to stop the practice of hotels charging fees to consumers.  There just isnt.  You may want transparency, and hey, who doesn't?  But the question is and was, is Congress actually looking into it, and the answer is, no, they are not.  

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Stop it. 

To be fair, there is no evidence that congress is actually looking to stop the practice of hotels charging fees to consumers.  There just isnt.  You may want transparency, and hey, who doesn't?  But the question is and was, is Congress actually looking into it, and the answer is, no, they are not.  

It might not be the biggest fish to fry, but how do you know it’s not on or going to be on the agenda? I’m sure millions of people are complaining about these fees and many of them are probably writing their congressman. 

Nothing happens over night, give it time. There will be a change. If the airline industry is required by law to show transparency, why not the hotel industry? 

2 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

It might not be the biggest fish to fry, but how do you know it’s not on or going to be on the agenda? I’m sure millions of people are complaining about these fees and many of them are probably writing their congressman. 

Nothing happens over night, give it time. There will be a change. If the airline industry is required by law to show transparency, why not the hotel industry? 

Because I know how to read the ****ing Congressional record.  

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/4489/all-actions-without-amendments?s=1&r=6

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Thumb up 1

32 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

@No Nonsense

Third attempt.  FFS please try. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

Fwiw I'd prefer Ticketmaster and other ticket sellers cut the bs convenience snd e lrinting fees out too and/or roll them in to the ticket price up front. Don't see that happening anytime soon either. 

TM would likely have to share the fees then. Probably with actual performers and artists. 😒