Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

This guy has 14 career interceptions in only three seasons, and he ran six of them back for touchdowns.  That is Deion-esque.  His reflexes are amazing and he is a true ballhawk.

This was the first I had heard of this guy. Went and watched the Alabama game to get a better feel. How is this guy not a more touted prospect? My thought is that he is slight in frame and a bit tentative (but willing) as a tackler. He goes in there he just doesn't really want to. Only other things I see is that sometimes he seems to give inside leverage, but he makes up for it quick and closes and that is part of the reason he is in good shape for all of those INTs. The caution there is NCAA doesn't = NFL, but I think his style and play translates. But he is fluid with his hips, he's long, he tracks the ball extremely well and stays in phase with very good receivers. He may not be great against the run, but most corners aren't. If our hybrid types are doing their jobs he can be a bit more hesitant. Right now NFLdraftbuzz has him as the #50 overall ranked player and 13th DB. PFN has him as a second rounder. This guy has the kind of talent that can't be taught and he is a similar prospect to our own BSJ.

If he's there in the second he is a very real target. 

• Like 3

I was watching Bryce Young/CJ Stroud/Will Levis again. Man, Young has special playmaking ability. But I'm noticing, more and more, that he has a year and a half in the pocket, moves around, points to receivers and throws. And, on film, he looks really small. He has every intangible you could want so I'm not down on him. I think he could have a bright future, but I'm not sure how he is going to translate to the NFL given his size and how much time this dude had in the pocket. 

Stroud, on the other hand, is looking better and better to me. Stronger arm than I thought. Showed he can move, which was necessary, in that playoff game, too. Also showed he doesn't shrink in the moment. Having Marvin Harrison, Jr (who may be the best player in the 24 Draft) helps for sure. But he has the size, speed, athleticism. He's a more polished passer than Fields, but a lesser runner (even with him showing it).

Levis... eh. When I was watching the Emmanuel Forbes film that pick six stood out. Now, even pros have them. But I want to give this guy more time for me to think on him.

I'm not watching QBs for us, by the way. I just watch QBs every year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tyler Steen.   I like.  Good potential.   I think he's in that Anton Harrison's range of play maybe a half peg below, 2nd-3rd rounder IMO.  He did give up sacks in both games I watched.

What strikes me the most is he looks the part as an athlete and can move well for a big dude so I think can be molded with a good O line coach.  So if Broderick Jones who is also an athlete can be developed, perhaps why not Steen, too?  He's not Steen's level quick though from what I saw on the 2nd level and I think that's Jones' superpower which Steen IMO doesn't match but his quickness does stike me above average. 

Fluid player with quick feet.  Feisty in pass blocking, mirrors well, active hands anchors well.  Picks up stunts, seems smart on that front.  Quick pass rushers can bend past him and did multiple times in the games I watched.  He lunges some in the run game, can lose his balance but looks fast on the move to the 2nd level.   Doesn't sustain blocks as much as I'd like.  He's more of a get in front of the defender type in run blocking versus a people mover but does have some people mover moments, so he can be physical.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

Whatever it takes, the offensive line needs to be priority number 1 for upgrades this offseason.  It was clearly our Achilles heel last year whether it was statuesque Wentz or Moxie Man himself, it didn’t matter because any 5-7 step drop was typically met with a pass rusher right in their face.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

This was the first I had heard of this guy. Went and watched the Alabama game to get a better feel. How is this guy not a more touted prospect?

I haven't dived into the corners yet but did a quick look at Kipers rankings and Forbes made his top 10 at CB so I presume he is or will be getting some attention

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Dorian Williams, LB, Tulane.  Former safety.  Really fast, active player.  Modern day LB who can play coverage.   5th-6th round type i am guessing.

Seen some hype on twitter about him so I took a look.  Work in progress as a run stopper, he plays with verocity so has the right attitude against the run but is just ok as a tackler from what I saw.  Isn't hot at shedding blocks and can get lost in the wash on run plays.  They rush him at the passer some, rushes with gusto but doesn't seem to have much of a plan but has moments.  He's really fluid in coverage, back peddles with fluidity, looks fasts.

Mildy intrigued, not blown away but could be molded into a hybrid type of Curl player.  Plays some in the slot.  

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Am I crazy for thinking Stroud > Young?

For me, it's Young and then everyone else with the gap being fairly substantial. The only knock for me on Young is his size. He's elite in all other areas from my limited perspective. Ranking Stroud, Richardson and Levis will be tough for me in the coming weeks. 

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

This was the first I had heard of this guy. Went and watched the Alabama game to get a better feel. How is this guy not a more touted prospect? My thought is that he is slight in frame and a bit tentative (but willing) as a tackler. He goes in there he just doesn't really want to. Only other things I see is that sometimes he seems to give inside leverage, but he makes up for it quick and closes and that is part of the reason he is in good shape for all of those INTs. The caution there is NCAA doesn't = NFL, but I think his style and play translates. But he is fluid with his hips, he's long, he tracks the ball extremely well and stays in phase with very good receivers. He may not be great against the run, but most corners aren't. If our hybrid types are doing their jobs he can be a bit more hesitant. Right now NFLdraftbuzz has him as the #50 overall ranked player and 13th DB. PFN has him as a second rounder. This guy has the kind of talent that can't be taught and he is a similar prospect to our own BSJ.

If he's there in the second he is a very real target. 

Yeah he looks willing to get in there but he's just skinny and doesn't look like he has much power.  Felt very similar about Cam Smith from South Carolina, who is a beanpole of an athlete too, with similar elite ball skills and elite ability to mirror routes way downfield. 

I noticed that Forbes likes trailing too, and I think that might be part of his hawk's mentality.  It makes sense to stop throwing at a corner who got five picks and three pick sixes as a freshman, especially when the guys on the other side of their defensive backfield are probably a lot softer of targets.  My guess is that's what happened to him as a sophomore and that's why he only got one pick that year, so he may have adjusted to bait QBs into throwing his way more often this year.

I'm blown away by the size and depth of this corner class.  There are no A+ tier prospects in the group who are totally clean like a Horn or Gardner or Surtain, but the B tier of prospect is HUGE this year.  A very unusual amount of these dudes are 6'+, and a lot of the tall ones are fast.  The combine drills for this group are going to be fun this year.

I think 20 DBs will go in the first two days and probably 10 of them in the top 50.  The junior and RS Sophomore crop is really special, and some front offices are going to make their money this offseason figuring out which of these guys are uncut diamonds, and there's going to be a bunch of them.  I think Hurney and Ron are going to make some hay with these DB prospects because they're probably as good as spotting and developing college DBs as anyone in the NFL.  I think we're going to pick two DBs within our first four picks and really fortify our secondary.  And if we get some OL help in FA, that leaves us to go BPA in the first on a QB or on a special playmaker like Mayer or Smith-Njigba, or maybe even trade down and get someone like Jahmyr Gibbs or a swiss army knife defensive player like Trenton Simpson.  Total BPA freedom.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

And, on film, he looks really small. He has every intangible you could want so I'm not down on him. I think he could have a bright future, but I'm not sure how he is going to translate to the NFL given his size and how much time this dude had in the pocket. 

Yeah he looks tiny, and that's been my concern with him, and why I'm in a bit of disbelief that he'll go #1 overall.  Is he the best football player in the class?  I do think he is, but he does not have an NFL body, and there's not really a lot you can do about it when that is the case.  It's why I have always kind of thought there is a chance he slides down into the teens and might be sitting there at our draft pick.  At teens level draft pick risk, you say **** it, yeah, take him.  But in the top five?  That could get you fired if he has an injury plagued career and some of these other guys become studs.

He's definitely my favorite QB prospect, I absolutely love his vision and instincts.  I think they are next level and reminiscent of Mahomes in how he effortlessly and frequently he finds backside options late.  He's out there playing chess, but even the greatest football mind doesn't get you far if he's missing half the season with injuries.  And I think the fact that smaller dudes like Tua and Baker and Kyler have missed so much time with injury, and Bryce is not even as thick as them, might throw some cold water on his draft stock.  For better or worse, teams still want big QBs and are probably more willing to roll the dice on a strong-bodied project like Levis than on a guy who is probably mentally ready to step in and be a good starter year one like Bryce, but has a definite ceiling on him due to size.

The QB class kind of reminds me of 2018.  Bryce is the best player of the top three QBs, but I think their draft stocks are really close and unpredictable, and it could come down to a philosophical preference/strong belief in an organizations ability to develop a raw talent at the position.  Levis is the Allen/Herbert of this year's class, but he needs to go to a good team with great coaches on staff to develop him.  Is that gonna be Houston?

• Like 1

Zack Harrison, with our late 3rd? If we cannot sign Sweat he seems like a good fit to me if there? A little faster about the same size, just pops out as someone with a nonstop motor. May be a player that never lived up to the 5 star rating numbers wise but he reminds me of Sweat.  It's a deep draft for ends and that pushes him down but a lot of them would not fit our D or would be better in a 3/4 LB spot. He has the 270lbs size we need.  Opinions?

2 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Texas LB DeMarvion Overshown for me thus far while we spitball LB's at this juncture.

I liked him in my first watch of prospects for this draft. Probably somewhere on the first pages of this thread. I’m with you. Dude is sideline to sideline and plays aggressive and has cover skills. Big time on my radar. But he’s not a true thumper of a ILB. So depends what they are looking for. I think he’s a solid schematic fit.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I liked him in my first watch of prospects for this draft. Probably somewhere on the first pages of this thread. I’m with you. Dude is sideline to sideline and plays aggressive and has cover skills. Big time on my radar. But he’s not a true thumper of a ILB. So depends what they are looking for. I think he’s a solid schematic fit.

What do you think of guys like Young or Hampton? I think the next LBer needs to be sack proficient. Seems like there is a few of those guys this draft.

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

Zack Harrison, with our late 3rd? If we cannot sign Sweat he seems like a good fit to me if there? A little faster about the same size, just pops out as someone with a nonstop motor. May be a player that never lived up to the 5 star rating numbers wise but he reminds me of Sweat.  It's a deep draft for ends and that pushes him down but a lot of them would not fit our D or would be better in a 3/4 LB spot. He has the 270lbs size we need.  Opinions?

Seems like a good player. Edge appears deep though, but early mid round seems about right. I think we'll be looking elsewhere then but you never know he may be the BPA at the time. 

Edited by Chump Bailey

2 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

I don't think he's faster than Sweat, but he's not slow and his first step is pretty good.  Montez ran a 4.41 at 260 lbs at the combine.  Similarly king-sized though, and he'll have one of the longest arm measurements in the class.  He's upright as a pass rusher, not super productive in that part of the game, and doesn't really have any bend.  But he's a dominant run defender and does OK in the passing game.  I think he'd be a strong fit in our defense as a poor man's replacement for Sweat if we can't get him signed.  Third round definitely feels fair, maybe even a bargain in that range.  I think he could go in the second and he's got a chance to raise his stock dramatically via the combine and Senior bowl.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

What do you think of guys like Young or Hampton? I think the next LBer needs to be sack proficient. Seems like there is a few of those guys this draft.

Tennessee's Byron Young I like a lot. Reminds me of another former Volunteer Edge player for Seattle in Darrell Taylor. His testing along with Hampton's is probably going to be very good. Hampton's interesting too - love the motor and instincts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hampton is more of an on ball guy. When he’s off ball he tends to line up in the apex area split off the LoS so he’s a better fit for the nickel/hybrid.

I think I’d rather get a Jordan Battle type to play safety and give us flexibility with our safeties. 

• Like 1