Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

We go through this every year give or take where we got 15 or so players who are sure fire top 10 picks when we delve into some debates. :ols:  And also surprises which almost always happen aren't considered possibilities.  Ditto in the mock draft community.  But there is always a guy or two that slips out of the top 10 that is unexpected.  And just about always there is a surprise top 10 pick.

It reminds me of the Gruden-Kiper draft special that was done one year where Gruden joked that Kiper has 50 players going in the 2nd round judging by his rhetoric. 

Judging by the consensus of mocks and just general press leaks

Slam Dunk Top 10

Hutchinson

Thibodeux

Neal

Ekwonu

Cross

Very likely

Hamilton

S. Gardner

Has a chance

J. Johnson

Walker

Pickett 

Willis

Lloyd (precombine)

One of the receivers -- Wilson or Drake London, maybe Burks but I'd gamble one of them has a shot

Stingley

Ojabo

Karalfitis

Linderbaum

All that has to happen if something like Pickett and Willis jumping into the top 10 or a team thinking along with the mock draft types from yesterday of heck yeah Waker is a top 10 pick, lets take him -- and bam the draft is going to have some funky result where a top 10 type player falls.   do I think Hamilton falls out of the top 10?  probably not.  But someone unexpected will likely drop especially if there is run of edge rushers and 2 QBs going top 10.

For example, here's Bucky Brooks' mock.  Does it happen this way who knows.  But its not crazy, there is usually something funky that happens.  And just one funky thing can throw off everything else.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bucky-brooks-2022-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-kenny-pickett-matt-corral-only-qbs-selected

Pick

Jacksonville Jaguars

SELECTION: Evan Neal, OT

• School: Alabama
  • Year: Junior

Protecting franchise quarterback Trevor Lawrence is the No. 1 priority for Jacksonville. With Cam Robinson set to hit free agency, the Jaguars could pair Neal with 2021 second-rounder Walker Little to man the edges for years to come.

Pick

Detroit Lions

SELECTION: Aidan Hutchinson, Edge

• School: Michigan
  • Year: Senior

Detroit coach Dan Campbell could fall in love with the ultra-athletic, high-motor pass rusher with Michigan roots. Hutchinson's relentlessness and superb technique could make him a double-digit sack artist early in his career.

Pick

Houston Texans

SELECTION: Kayvon Thibodeaux, Edge

• School: Oregon

The electric pass rusher has a boom-or-bust feel to his game, but his raw tools are just too enticing to ignore. If NFL coaching can fully unlock his potential, Thibodeaux could shine as a shop wrecker off the edge on Sundays.

Pick

New York Jets

SELECTION: Ikem Ekwonu, OT

• School: N.C. State
  • Year: Sophomore (RS)

Adding more protection around Zach Wilson should help the Jets' young QB1 develop in 2022. With Morgan Moses' contract up, general manager Joe Douglas could opt to take the big, athletic tackle to shore up the offensive line.

Pick

New York Giants

SELECTION: Charles Cross, OT

• School: Mississippi State

Rebuilding the Giants' offensive line has to be a top priority for new general manager Joe Schoen. As a Day 1 starter, Cross could immediately help Big Blue re-establish a blue-collar mentality on offense.

Pick

Carolina Panthers

SELECTION: Ahmad Gardner, CB

• School: Cincinnati

Taking an offensive tackle could be the initial plan here, but in this scenario, the cornerback greatly outranks any OT left on the board. Gardner teams with last year's first-round pick, Jaycee Horn, to give the Panthers a dynamic duo on the island.

Pick

New York Giants

(via Bears)

SELECTION: David Ojabo, Edge

• School: Michigan

The Giants have always been at their best when a dominant defensive front can take over the game. The ultra-twitchy pass rusher from Michigan would add significant juice.

Pick

Atlanta Falcons

SELECTION: Derek Stingley Jr., CB

• School: LSU

Despite a pair of subpar seasons to finish his career at LSU, Stingley is a bona fide five-star talent with outstanding tools and playmaking ability.

Pick

Denver Broncos

SELECTION: Kenny Pickett, QB

• School: Pittsburgh
  • Year: Senior (RS)

Will general manager George Paton talk himself into believing Pickett could orchestrate a Joe Burrow-like turnaround at Mile High?

Pick

New York Jets

(via Seahawks)

SELECTION: Garrett Wilson, WR

• School: Ohio State

Building around Zach Wilson will require the Jets to expend top picks on perimeter playmakers. Wilson is an A+ wideout with soft hands and superb route-running skills.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's another guy I want to see what he runs.  Of all positions, I am most confident predicting WRs speed because you can see them enough go straight line runs with or without the ball.  Other positions not so much.  Late first round?

I watched him a couple of weeks ago for the first time and was thinking day 2.  I was a little surprised at how underwhelmed I was by him given how high draftniks are on him.  He's just another small U Dub zone corner that'll be a JAG in the NFL, and I learned my lesson with Byron Murphy.  Loved Murphy in 2019 and he hasn't translated the same playmaking skill to the NFL and he was a more aggressive, physical, and productive playmaker than McDuffie.  I think all of these guys are a poor man's version of Tyrann Mathieu.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I watched him a couple of weeks ago for the first time and was thinking day 2.  I was a little surprised at how underwhelmed I was by him given how high draftniks are on him.  He's just another small U Dub zone corner that'll be a JAG in the NFL, and I learned my lesson with Byron Murphy.  Loved Murphy in 2019 and he hasn't translated the same playmaking skill to the NFL and he was a more aggressive, physical, and productive playmaker than McDuffie.  I think all of these guys are a poor man's version of Tyrann Mathieu.

Mock drafters seem hyped about him, some got him in the mid first and I am reading about how well his interviews have gone so that got my attention.  But yeah definitiely no wow that pops when you watch him like it pops for Sauce Gardner as an example 

• Like 1

So sip, no QBs selected, we have say Ridder and Corral on our radar. We pass on QB at 11, saints maybe, definitely Steelers. Then it puts the same teams back in front of us and our guys are still in play. Corral I'd assume we'd have to move up for.

Drafts strange. I'm still hoping Pitt can come up for Willis at 11 and we can get ammo for next year.

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

So sip, no QBs selected, we have say Ridder and Corral on our radar. We pass on QB at 11, saints maybe, definitely Steelers. Then it puts the same teams back in front of us and our guys are still in play. Corral I'd assume we'd have to move up for.

Drafts strange. I'm still hoping Pitt can come up for Willis at 11 and we can get ammo for next year.

Trying to warm me up to not use the 11 pick on QB by talking up a trade down for Corral :ols:,  good move

It should be interesting.  In short, I am open minded versus locked in on a plan.  Depends on how the cards fall.  If Keim is right the team is likewise open minded including open to trading down as you mention here.  

If Hamilton for example happens to be there at 11, i'd take him and wouldn't trade down.  But for example if they think they can trade down and still get either Corral, Willis, or another one I like -- I can ride with it.  If they love Dean or Lloyd and think they can pick up a pick by trading down and still get one of them and lets say use that extra pick to get back in the first to take name that QB, I can dig that too.   My thought is to have a Zen like approach to this.  Last year picking at 19 sucked.  This year picking at 11 I think opens up some possibilities that are interesting.

I think the good news for us is there are things that may unfold and I was less sure about this early on

A.  We might be able get the top QB we want. 

B.  We might be about to trade down and still get a QB we like almost as much

C. We might get the top LB on the board or our 2nd fav after trading down and adding a pick

D.  I think there is a good shot there is a stud staring at us at 11 just like what happens to Dallas last year when Parsons fell to 12

E.  Picking 10th in the 2nd round looks like a great spot to pick some talent at need spots including LB, WR, S. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I am much more open now to trading down or even taking BPA (someone like Hamilton) at 11 and then taking whichever QB is left with our second rounder. Strong and possibly Ridder could be there. Or they could trade back up into late in the first for their guy at QB and get that coveted 5th year option. Similar to what we did for Sweat. That is all dependent on Kenny Pickett not being there at 11 for me. If he is there I am taking him. 

• I think we've all been underrating this off-the-ball linebacker group. Yes, Georgia's Nakobe Dean didn't work out, and Utah's Devin Lloyd had a disappointing 40 time. I'm not worried about either. Dean's tape is incredible, and Lloyd plays fast. Then Wisconsin's Leo Chenal had a 4.57 in the 40 and 40½-inch vertical jump. That's awesome. Montana State's Troy Andersen is one of the top risers of the week, and I really think he can be a second-round pick. Despite changing positions multiple times, he impressed at the FCS level, dominated at the Senior Bowl and then posted a 4.42 in the 40 at the combine. He's potentially a day one starter. Seriously. And say what you want about Alabama's Christian Harris and his instincts -- he flies in a little hot sometimes -- but he is coming off the best game of his career and he wowed with a 4.44-second 40 and a 11-foot broad jump. Finally, Quay Walker (Georgia), Chad Muma (Wyoming) and Channing Tindall (Georgia) also had good workouts. Each has an argument to go in the first two rounds.

More notes, thoughts and things we heard and saw from Day 2 of workouts

Miller:

• There is so much talk surrounding the Carolina Panthers and the quarterback position, but buzz around the combine was that the offensive line is considered the most likely selection for the team at No. 6 overall in the first round. That's Charles Cross and Trevor Penning territory.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33412799/2022-nfl-combine-recap-top-draft-prospect-performances-risers-best-workouts-fastest-40s-big-takeaways-buzz-more

Forgot about Penning.  So that's what like the 22nd player going in the top 10? 😀

•  
  • Haha 2

If Pierce lasts to the third round, IMO I'd jump all over that but I think he's going in the late 2nd probably but will see

• There is a reason Alec Pierce was the go-to target for Cincinnati. We saw it on Thursday with a 4.41 time from a 6-foot-3, 211-pound frame. Teams looking for a vertical stretch receiver outside of the top two rounds should be all over his tape.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33412799/2022-nfl-combine-recap-top-draft-prospect-performances-risers-best-workouts-fastest-40s-big-takeaways-buzz-more

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Thibodaux, Hutch, Stingly, Sauce, Hamilton, Neal, Cross, Ekwonu, McDuff, London, Linderbaum, Wilson, Jameson, Olave, Booth, Green, Davis

Who am I forgetting thats going in the top 10?   :ols:

Three QBs ;)

I haven't watched Daxton Hill in awhile, did it eons ago so I'll refresh.  It seems like when I hit players before they run at the Combine.

it has given everyone good luck except really bad luck for one player. 😀. It helps though that I mostly picked fast players though.  So keeping with that..

Pros

Honey badger like eclectic skills but a different version of it -- he can major in both slot CB and FS

A lot of college safeties strike me to be more natural at SS.  Hill to me fits the profile of the more elusive FS spot

Looks fast, with really good recovery speed.   

Can close on plays really fast in the flat

Has the ability to play cover 1 -- single high

Feisty player -- willing tackler.  

Cons

Recognition skills isn't always hot, uses his speed to recover if he fails to diagnose correctly

Doesn't have a big frame -- needs to bulk up perhaps to play the box

Just 4 career picks.  Just a half a sack.

As a tackler, he doesn't have the size to blow up plays -- he has the will to do it but not the size

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

So, who's 5th round? Zappe?

We don't have a 5th but maybe we get one in a trade down.

For me at the moment.  A RB?    Rachaad White or Hassan Haskins.  I still have plenty of others to watch but for the moment those are two I like in that range.  White especially if we lose McKissic.    I was back and forth between White and Kyren Williams as for mid round types who are really good pass catchers -- but White had a killer combine and Williams has had a bad one so that's made it easy for me to be much more of a Rachaad White person 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Sip, who was the back you posted a while back that was an awesome pass blocker?

That was Kryen Williams.  I liked Rachaad White more as a pass catcher over Kyren. He had 456 yards as a pass catcher.  White is a decent pass blocker but not a tone setter on that front like Kyren.  But Kyren is under 200 pounds and yet ran a 4.71 -- that speed is brutal for his size.    So for me that tipped it to Rachaad White.  His pass blocking PFF score is actually higher than Kyren albeit like I said Kyren is the more tone setter (Portis like) on that front. 

Nice but no shocker

• Like 1

Sign Williams and draft Hamilton and you can do so much with your secondary. The Collins role, 3 high, double robber, joker, whatever. And disguise it all every play. 

Then draft Anderson, Muma, whoever and get them and Davis on the field together and this defense could be just so special. 

Grab a big pounder back and whatever putz we have a shot at to play QB. Get everything going full tilt and then go hog wild shoot for the moon at QB next year.

• Like 1