Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins now a .500 franchise

hail2skins

1 minute ago, Zemongoose said:

So what you’re telling me is earlier today was the last time in my lifetime that the Skins will have an winning franchise record. 

I’m not terminally ill or anything, but I’m only two years younger than Snyder...so math dictates...

They could give us the Bengals in the opener........

I should care but I really don't.  I was born in '81.  And while I appreciate the old days and the old timers, what this franchise's record was in the early days makes no difference anymore.  

We're all like, "Yeah, Sammy Baugh!!!!!" but that's it.  All of us that are a certain age or younger most likely don't know anything about this franchise before the 60s.  

I just looked up, at random, the roster for the 1955 team.  I've heard of a lot of Redskins coaches, most notably Lombardi, Allen, Pardee, and Otto Graham.  I remember the Gibbs 1.0 days a little bit.  And the dreck that's followed, well, we don't need to go down that road.

Have any of you honestly heard of Joe Kuharich?  He was the coach for that 1955 team.  And he was the Sporting News Coach of the Year and the UPI Coach of the Year, too.  That team was 8-4, 2nd place.  It must have been all downhill for Kuharich after that, his NFL coaching record was 26-32-2.  He somehow failed upwards and went to Notre Dame after that and wasn't that great there, either.

I'm looking at some of the names on this roster and while I've seen some of them before I can't tell you the first thing about any of these players.  I've seen the name Vic Janowicz before but I don't know anything about him.  I can also see that the starting QB for that team was Eddie LeBaron (another name I recognize) who threw 9 touchdowns and 15 interceptions.  It was a vastly different game, played in a vastly different way.  Yes, it was the Washington Redskins and the field was 100 yards but I do believe that's where any of the similarities end. 

While I'm ashamed to admit my ignorance to a large chunk of the history of this team, all of this is to say that I can't feign any disgust for this franchise sinking below a point when I place a value on what's happened post 1960 (everything from Lombardi and after, really) and don't know much about what came before.  

It sucks and it's sad but it's just pointing to a part of history that's getting increasingly smaller in the rearview mirror that Dan and the rest keep having to squint harder and harder to see.  

Archived