Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Two Pro Bowlers, Three Alternates, and just five wins...Ouch

OURYEAR#56

Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington and cornerback Champ Bailey will represent the NFC at the 2004 Pro Bowl in Honolulu, Hawaii, marking the third straight trip for Arrington and fourth straight for Bailey.

In addition, the Redskins also have three players who were named alternates to the 2004 Pro Bowl and will receive invitations if players cannot play in the game due to injury. Wide receiver Laveranues Coles was named first alternate and offensive linemen Randy Thomas and Chris Samuels were named third alternates.

Bailey, widely regarded as one of the top shutdown corners in the NFL, is the first Redskins player since linebacker Ken Harvey to be named to the Pro Bowl four straight times.

Although intercepting only two passes this season to date, Bailey is charged with guarding the opponents’ top receiving threat week-in and week-out. This season he has 16 passes defensed, 65 tackles (56 solo), two tackles for loss, two fumble recoveries and a forced fumble through 14 games.

“I thought I had a pretty good year, but as a team I just wish we could have topped it off with a good year, too," Bailey said on Thursday. "It’s one of those things where you want to go, but you want to win, too."

"Regardless of what goes on around me, I’m still going to go out and do my job. I can’t let myself get down when we’re not winning. I have to keep playing hard, because you never know when this will turn around. And I want to be one of the causes of why we win."

This season, Arrington maintained his status as one of the most explosive and dominant players in the league with his athletic and play-making abilities. Through 14 games, Arrington has already posted his third straight 100+ tackle season with 104 (67 solo) tackles. He is second on the team in sacks with 5.0.

Arrington also leads the team in other defensive categories: quarterback pressures (13), passes defensed (20), forced fumbles (6), fumble recoveries (2) and tackles for loss (2).

"“It’s been a long year—things haven’t went the way they should have—but still guys keep pressing on, and I just want to thank my teammates and thank the fans from the bottom of my heart for voting for me,” Arrington said on Thursday. “It’s a proud honor and hopefully I can go over there and represent the team well.

“It means a lot [coming from my peers] and it definitely means a whole lot coming from the fans. I hate to sound selfish, but I needed it.”

First alternate Coles has recorded 69 catches for 1,023 yards and four touchdowns through 14 games and is tied for eighth in catches and seventh in yards for the NFC.

Third alternates Thomas and Samuels help lead the Redskins' offensive line. Thomas has started all 14 games this season, and Samuels has started 11, sidelined the last three games with a knee sprain.

The entire Pro Bowl squad for both the AFC and NFC will be announced tonight on ESPN on the 2004 Pro Bowl Selection Show. Starters at each position will be announced during the first round of the playoffs.

The teams are voted upon by NFL players and coaches, which count for two-thirds of the process. Fans' votes count as one-third.

The 2004 Pro Bowl will be broadcast on ESPN in prime time on Sunday, February 8, 2004, at 7:30 p.m. EST.

We got five potential pro bowlers. :notworthy Where the heck are the wins? :doh:

Champ isn't going anywhere and if we could get a decent not even great but decent D-Line he would be that much better. We cant afford to get rid of players like him and let him go play somewhere ie Stephen Davis. We have to be patient and we have to get an offense that can score and keep our defense fresh and off the field.

First alternate Coles has recorded 69 catches for 1,023 yards and four touchdowns through 14 games and is tied for eighth in catches and seventh in yards for the NFC.

Third alternates Thomas and Samuels help lead the Redskins' offensive line. Thomas has started all 14 games this season, and Samuels has started 11, sidelined the last three games with a knee sprain.

so do thomas, samuels and coles make the trip to hawaii?

i wonder if alstott made it? :rolleyes:

That's because it's a popularity contest. It's basically what you did in previous seasons and based a bunch on your reputation in the league. We've got a great collection of INDIVIDUAL talent, but not a very good TEAM right now. That's how a team with our record can send that many guys to Hawaii. Samuels is a perfect example. Not a good year, but still gets the votes.

Originally posted by Blazers21

Only two Eagles made it, McNabb and Vincent (???). This after sending ten last year.

Will definitely contribute to keeping a big chip on their shoulder to finish out the season. :)

Thas whY I think you all are a lock for the SB this year.

Mind's me of the 91 skins.

I think.:)

I', drunk, I'm prbly wrong.

Originally posted by bulldog

the pro bowl is a popularity contest. plain and simple.

This is partly true between two players that are about equal, although you have to play at least fairly well to be under consideration.

Also, players that talk trash and are unpopular because of their personalities, have a more difficult time making all-pro.

Dexter Manley who liked to talk trash to opposing players was a prime example. I think he only made all-pro once, although he deserved it a lot more often. :)

Archived