Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I just have to say, I called it ten years ago, and was mocked for it.

Riggo-toni

14 hours ago, LightningBuggs said:

The one thing I was right about was letting Kyle Shanahan go would be a big mistake.  And I got the opportunity to tell Kyle that to his face.

I remember being livid when the Shanahan's were fired but Haslett was retained.  I kept thinking the defense was the biggest problem on the team, but the offense was fired instead?  How?  Inner-office politics was the only thing I could think of.  By retaining the defense, it was a gigantic and petty one finger salute directed at the Shanahans.

There was no reason to keep Haslett around otherwise.

Mike Shanahan hasn't done squat since Elway retired, and he has always insisted on full control over personnel. He's the one who told Snyder to hire Allen in the first place. And he's the one who hired Haslett.

We hired the wrong Shanahan. Kyle made Schaub into a winning QB. He is a better offensive mind than his father, and would have made competent hires rather than picking sycophants he could control.

13 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I remember being livid when the Shanahan's were fired but Haslett was retained.  I kept thinking the defense was the biggest problem on the team, but the offense was fired instead?  How?  Inner-office politics was the only thing I could think of.  By retaining the defense, it was a gigantic and petty one finger salute directed at the Shanahans.

There was no reason to keep Haslett around otherwise.

That was soley Jay's call.  For some insane reason he thought Haslett was a good coordinator and believed the ruse that Shanahan was the reason for the defenses struggle under his tenure. 

The only reason Jim is gone is because he resigned.  Oher wise Gruden would have kept him another year.

14 minutes ago, Bishop Hammer said:

That was soley Jay's call.  For some insane reason he thought Haslett was a good coordinator and believed the ruse that Shanahan was the reason for the defenses struggle under his tenure. 

The only reason Jim is gone is because he resigned.  Oher wise Gruden would have kept him another year.

Solely Jay’s call, huh? Please find me something, anything that suggest that’s the case.

You didn’t find it odd that the defense was absolutely horrendous with Haslett, yet everyone was fired but him?  

Perhaps Jay was green enough and smitten to be hired as a head coach and kept him without kicking or screaming about it.  But nothing logical suggests that was his call.

On 9/24/2019 at 1:45 PM, SkinsFTW said:

Yep, Bumbling Bruce was never qualified for the job given to him by Doofus Dan but that also was one of the job requirements.

It's like a catch-22 situation, if you are actually qualified for the job here you'd never be the type of person who would want to work for the skins

On 9/24/2019 at 4:42 PM, Leonard Washington said:

It's extremely easy to predict failure for this franchise.

True, but here was one reaction to what I wrote...

Ridiculous.

First, he has made some good draft picks in Tampa.

Secondly, we are just coming from sacks and stuff. Literally the most pathetic FO in the entire league. 20% of the members of this board know more about building a team than Vinny does.

Allen's teams have good track records. Much, much better than Vinny's teams. You can't even compare the two. We won't have dysfunction. No 3 people calling the plays bs.

On 9/24/2019 at 9:21 AM, Riggo-toni said:

How are you feeling now?

From 2009:

https://es.redskins.com/topic/298835-bruce-allen-to-the-skins-49ers-hiring-mike-nolan/

Excerpt from my post:

Under the guidance of GM Rich McKay, the Bucs were one of the best teams of the 90s. They made excellent draft choices like Warren Sapp, John Lynch and Booger McFarland, establishing the best defense of the decade. Gruden walked into a Superbowl caliber team, much like Seifert in SF. McKay left for Atlanta, and Bruce Allen came in. Our beloved Doug Williams was given a job as Director of Pro Personnel. The result - the Bucs are the worst team in the NFL. It's hard to think of a GM not named Millen who did a worst job with the draft during Allen's tenure at TB. But, he's the son of the man who once turned our franchise around....

Now I know many of you are spitting at your monitors "Hey jackhole, Chucky made those picks!" Even if that's true, that's hardly comforting. It means that the GM title bestowed upon Allen here is a ruse, a mere sop given to quiet the angry mob, and his job will be nothing more than what Cerrato was doing - organizing charts, video, etc., and deferring the decisions to others. "La plus ca change..."

What we really have here is no revolution, no Beathard/Gibbs model, but rather a continuation of the same dysfunctional structure that has left us floundering in mediocrity since the Generalissimo took over the team, or more accurately, since the reins passed from our last genuine GM Beathard to the incompetent Casserly.

I'm relieved as anyone that the Cerrato era is over, but not convinced in the slightest that we've turned any corners.

No offense, but consensus at the time, except from homers, was that Allen was a non-entity at best, and a calamity at worst, in terms of running franchises. His work in tampa was poor, his work in Oakland wasn't terribly impressive either. Good job, sussing out bad hires, like those of us especially familiar with Cerrato due to bay area ties, called back in 2000, but in both cases, it was pretty much obvious from the jump, that the hires were moronic, company men hires, utilizing the NFL Manure recycling system, rather than actually being innovative in decision making. 

Archived