Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bruce Allen to the Skins = 49ers Hiring Mike Nolan

Riggo-toni

In the early days of the Roman Empire, the aging Tiberius became increasingly unpopular. At his death, the Roman Senate rushed to anoint the son of Germanicus as the new Caesar, and overwhelmingly granted him absolute power. Germanicus had been so enormously beloved by the populous that Tiberius was believed to have poisoned him, so there was a combination of the euphoria of finally purging an unpopular figure combined with the blind faith that Germanicus' son would be a chip off the old block. His son was Caligula, and you probably know how that turned out.

The 49ers were once the dominant team in the NFL, with 5 Superbowl trophies to prove it, but a change in ownership as well as a changing of front office staff left them in the doldrums. After a predictably bad coaching hire, they decided to go back to the future and hire the son of one of their coaching greats. We Skins fans laughed at the thought of Captain Vanilla becoming a head coach, but Niner fans were relieved at the long overdue changing of the guard, and felt certain the son of Coach Nolan would bring them at least back to respectability. Uh...oops.

Under the guidance of GM Rich McKay, the Bucs were one of the best teams of the 90s. They made excellent draft choices like Warren Sapp, John Lynch and Booger McFarland, establishing the best defense of the decade. Gruden walked into a Superbowl caliber team, much like Seifert in SF. McKay left for Atlanta, and Bruce Allen came in. Our beloved Doug Williams was given a job as Director of Pro Personnel. The result - the Bucs are the worst team in the NFL. It's hard to think of a GM not named Millen who did a worst job with the draft during Allen's tenure at TB. But, he's the son of the man who once turned our franchise around....

Now I know many of you are spitting at your monitors "Hey jackhole, Chucky made those picks!" Even if that's true, that's hardly comforting. It means that the GM title bestowed upon Allen here is a ruse, a mere sop given to quiet the angry mob, and his job will be nothing more than what Cerrato was doing - organizing charts, video, etc., and deferring the decisions to others. "La plus ca change..."

What we really have here is no revolution, no Beathard/Gibbs model, but rather a continuation of the same dysfunctional structure that has left us floundering in mediocrity since the Generalissimo took over the team, or more accurately, since the reins passed from our last genuine GM Beathard to the incompetent Casserly.

I'm relieved as anyone that the Cerrato era is over, but not convinced in the slightest that we've turned any corners.

Che sera, sera

Comparing Allen to Caligula is hilarious. Allen and Chucky had a poor track record in Tampa but with Oakland it was pretty good...and that was while dealing with Al Davis who is worse in all aspects to Danny business wise in my opinion.

I agree though that we obviously have not turned any corners yet, but you can't deny Snyder is attempting to take a step to turn a corner. No one can tell the future so we can't tell if he has until we see some results, but you can't deny the fact that this is a first step to some change in how the organization does business. You have to give Snyder some credit for that at least. Whether it amounts to change or reverts back to the same old same old all we can do is wait and see. Nothing wrong with a little optimism.

Come on RT, you know as well as I do that history doesn't always repeat itself. I certainly don't blame the Bucs troubles on Allen. I blame it on a rookie HC, with a new system, that is in over his head right now (sound familiar?) and is starting a rookie QB. They have pieces in place to heal quickly IF their HC improves as well.

Allen and Shanahan is a brand new combo and it's quite possible, given the reports, that Mike wanted to work with Allen. THAT'S a potential cohesiveness that hasn't been in place here in quite some time.

I'm certainly willing to give Cousin Brucie a long look. I don't see how it could be worse than Vincent the Lesser.

I honestly don't care who the coach is. Bottom line is we have a real front office now. Everything else is gravy.

Dude did you actually read his post? The point is we don't have a real front office just quite yet. It doesn't poof and magically happen overnight in some sort of sick and twisted turn of fate. Its about as realistic as their being a real tooth fairy.

Ridiculous.

First, he has made some good draft picks in Tampa.

Secondly, we are just coming from sacks and stuff. Literally the most pathetic FO in the entire league. 20% of the members of this board know more about building a team than Vinny does.

Allen's teams have good track records. Much, much better than Vinny's teams. You can't even compare the two. We won't have dysfunction. No 3 people calling the plays bs.

And finally, you have to take into consideration the coaching changes in Tampa this year. Rookie HC. No Monte Kiffin. And a new qb. Few teams would do well under those circumstances. To point to their record this season, and try to use that as a smear on Allen is laughable.

When was the last time the Skins won their division?

Repeat after me: "Sacks and stuff." You have just been freed. You should be rejoicing.

Instead, you sound like a battered wife.

Dude did you actually read his post? The point is we don't have a real front office just quite yet. It doesn't poof and magically happen overnight in some sort of sick and twisted turn of fate. Its about as realistic as their being a real tooth fairy.

I clearly did not. Just did a quick reply...my bad. Very thoughtful and intriguing post. I just don't see how the OP thinks dysfunction is going to continue now that Danny has hired a GM for the first time since he bought the team.

There is a clear structure forming. I think Snyder clearly has demonstrated that he understands that things need to be done differently. As far as Allen's poor drafting record, keep in mind that we are still expected to bring in a player personel guy here. Allen is here for oversee and organize this mess.

I see no reason to be so pessimistic. It is a great day! Embrace the fact that we have hope for the first time in a long time.

I would rather wait to throw stones until we actually see what they do.

Some fans, just want to look at the negative, when there is no proof that is going to be the case.

The resumes of Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan are ample evidence. Certainty doesn't exist, but probability does. Some of us aren't excited by those resumes.

The biggest problem in Tampa has been the offense. Gruden's inability and/or not wanting rookie QBs was his demise. The picks that the Bucs DID make IMO were good picks and were the best players available when they drafted each one. Allen's resume in Oakland is even MORE impressive.

Allen is WELL respected around the league and many feel that this is a good fit.

If Snyder was finally going to go in a new direction, this was a good start.

Oh, and how pretentious was the beginning of this thread:doh:

Interesting thread and pionts Riggio-toni. While we're all elated Vinny is gone, time is the only judge that will show us if the front office stucture has changed. I share your fear, but will reserve judgement until some time passes.

The bottom line is that Dan Snyder is a dysfunctional person. These personalities rarely change or learn from their mistakes. They simply continue repeating the same behaviorial patterns over and over again.

So because hiring the sons of former franchise greats hasn't worked out for other teams, we don't actually have a legit front office set-up? That doesn't follow. But I still see what you're saying-- I have to admit I'm a bit worried as well about whether this will be a legit front office set-up BUT here's the bottom line for me:

Bruce Allen's teams have won 5 division chamionships in the last decade. I've only seen the Skins win ONE division championship EVER. I CAN'T WAIT to see how this thing works out!

It's interesting that you left out the fact that he actually did pretty well in Oakland in a much more "GM-like" role.

In Tampa, he was tasked with mainly contract duties and working with Gruden in the draft, with Gruden getting the tiebreaker from what I've heard.

It appears so far that his job here with the 'Skins will be more like what he did for the Raiders, not the Bucs.

Interesting thread and pionts Riggio-toni. While we're all elated Vinny is gone, time is the only judge that will show us if the front office stucture has changed. I share your fear, but will reserve judgement until some time passes.

The bottom line is that Dan Snyder is a dysfunctional person. These personalities rarely change or learn from their mistakes. They simply continue repeating the same behaviorial patterns over and over again.

Your post reaks of BS all the way.

If this dysfunctionality that you speak of is who Snyder really is as a person, then why has Bruce Allen been bought here to salvage what little respect this franchise still has.

Put your theory together and get back to me with one without the "loony bender" propaganda.

Your post reaks of BS all the way.

If this dysfunctionality that you speak of is who Snyder really is as a person, then why has Bruce Allen been bought here to salvage what little respect this franchise still has.

Put your theory together and get back to me with one without the "loony bender" propaganda.

It's impossible to have an intelligient, civil conversation. Seriously, internet message boards have ruined our ability to hold normal conversations.

Reword your post and show some respect, and I'll respond.

It's impossible to have an intelligient, civil conversation. Seriously, internet message boards have ruined our ability to hold normal conversations.

Reword your post and show some respect, and I'll respond.

If this dysfunctionality that you speak of is who Snyder really is as a person, then why has Bruce Allen been bought here to salvage what little respect this franchise still has?

replacing Vinny with Ronald McDonald seemed like an idea I would have considered as a positive prior to the hire of Allen...I think hiring Bruce shows that Danny is trying to do the right thing. I also feel Dannys experience with Joe Gibbs has opened up his eyes with what his role should be as a owner ...I could be wrong. I also see Danny giving Shanny the same respect he gave Gibbs.

I don't think anyone is thinking this is going to solve all of our problems.

Everyone is happy about a SIGNIFICANT change for the BETTER and there are always people that have to bring down the excitement. By pulling some arbitrary comparison, that in reality makes no sense, really only serves the purpose of to bring every ones mood down.

Archived