Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did the Patriots expose McVay's Offense

Riggo-toni

I know the Rams are undefeated after 3 games, but the credit lies with a smothering defense. Listening to Collinsworth last night pointing out how the Browns were using the same formations and tactics as the Pats used to take away the stretch runs and frustrate adjustments at the line of scrimmage, I wonder if boy wonder may have actually fallen a touch behind the curve. Add in the possibility that Goff is an average QB with a monster guaranteed contract, and I am becoming concerned. I want to see the Rams win the SB because a McVay/Wade Phillips trophy would be a beautiful middle finger to Snyder and Jay "we loved Joe Barry's energy" Gruden.  But I am beginning to worry...

The Rams will be just fine. I'm pulling for them to make it back to the SB. Like a few of you guys said, I'd really like to see Boy Wonder and Wade get a ring. Don't forget that Joe Barry would also get one. Our team president would probably try to convince Snyder that the LB coaching is what put the Rams over the top.

Boy Wonder knows how to adjust. I'm sure he's already accounted for what the Patriots D schemed against him in the SB. Now that he sees that other teams are going to try it, too, he'll probably unleash some new wrinkles. I wasn't surprised one bit that Wilks tried that.

I agree on Goff. It's just so amazing to see what a turnaround he experienced with new, competent, innovative coaching. Imagine what that could do in Ashburn!

The Rams offense is a classic example of how a middle of the road QB is elevated by a good QB-friendly scheme and the players around him, but lacks that factor that puts a team over the top.  It also shows why it is that much harder to win a championship without a true franchise caliber QB.  It is much harder to have to build a juggernaut around the QB to elevate him.  

True franchise QB's like Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, Brees, would likely have the Rams winning superbowls with their current roster. 

8 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The Rams offense is a classic example of how a middle of the road QB is elevated by a good QB-friendly scheme and the players around him, but lacks that factor that puts a team over the top.  It also shows why it is that much harder to win a championship without a true franchise caliber QB.  It is much harder to have to build a juggernaut around the QB to elevate him.  

True franchise QB's like Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, Brees, would likely have the Rams winning superbowls with their current roster. 

Agreed, but I don't think the Rams can have that roster with that kind of QB on their roster. Goff only JUST got his extension, so they're still riding high on his rookie contract savings. 

If anything, I think it really shows how much of a any "great" non-QB driven team is comprised of a lot of good luck that is nearly impossible to replicate from one year to the next. The Vikings had that amazing year with Keenum. A lot of these teams that put together amazing defensive seasons inevitably regress to the mean. Injuries, luck, drop in form, they hit everyone, but a great QB covers a lot of it up. If you're one of these non-QB driven teams, you better win when your shot comes up. 

Seattle, Philly, Denver, and Baltimore maximized on their awesome years. Atlanta, SF, Car, and LA didn't. None have been able to re-create that type of dominance (LA still could of course). 

Archived