Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT:New Mexico Announces Plan for Free College for State Residents

Cooked Crack

ALBUQUERQUE — In one of the boldest state-led efforts to expand access to higher education, New Mexico is unveiling a plan on Wednesday to make tuition at its public colleges and universities free for all state residents, regardless of family income.

The move comes as many American families grapple with the rising cost of higher education and as discussions about free public college gain momentum in state legislatures and on the presidential debate stage. Nearly half of the states, including New York, Oregon and Tennessee, have guaranteed free two- or four-year public college to some students. But the New Mexico proposal goes further, promising four years of tuition even to students whose families can afford to pay the sticker price.

The program, which is expected to be formally announced by Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham on Wednesday and still requires legislative approval, would apply to all 29 of the state’s two- and four-year public institutions. Long one of the poorest states in the country, New Mexico plans to use climbing revenues from oil production to pay for much of the costs.

So far, states, not the federal government, have led the way — sometimes out of a hope that a more educated work force would attract businesses and improve local economies. As of 2018, 17 states had programs promising free college to at least some students, according to an analysis by the National Conference of State Legislatures. Most of those programs cover tuition only at two-year institutions.

New York’s Excelsior Scholarship, championed by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and enacted in 2017, illustrates some of the challenges New Mexico will face. Excelsior promises free tuition at public two- and four-year colleges to families making up to $125,000, but requires that students have no gaps in their education — meaning no time away from the lecture hall to work or to care for children or aging relatives. And the scholarship money cannot be used on books, housing costs, child care or any of the other living expenses that can quickly pile up, and eventually cause many to drop out of school.

The program will rely on approval and appropriations from the State Legislature if it is to commence as expected in 2020.

“This will take some high-quality politicking from the governor and others to make it happen,” said Tripp Stelnicki, a spokesman for Governor Lujan Grisham, a Democrat.

But both chambers in New Mexico are controlled by Democrats, and while fiscal conservatives still have considerable sway in the state, legislators have already shown willingness recently to increase spending on public education. State and federal spending on early childhood programs, including prekindergarten, is climbing to $546 million this year in New Mexico, a $135 million increase from the previous year.

29 minutes ago, Llevron said:

How long until we get a tweet about how out of control and unfair the system is when it favors new Mexicans over regular old Americans? 

Funny that you say this. I was just in New Mexico and I saw a waitress there wearing a shirt that said I'm from New Mexico, that doesnt make me Mexican. New Mexico is in the United States.

3 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Funny that you say this. I was just in New Mexico and I saw a waitress there wearing a shirt that said I'm from New Mexico, that doesnt make me Mexican. New Mexico is in the United States.

For years there was a section in NM Magazine (the tourist board rag) called One of Our Fifty is Missing.  Stories about shipping problems, driving license issues etc.  I got told once I spoke good English.  

Good for New Mexico. I hope they find a way to do this that is successful - both in results and in cost. It would be nice to have a free college system that works here, in the united states, that we can look at and consider growing to other states.

I don't like the idea because I don't think it will be successful, but I am cheering for it to be successful because a successful free college system would be good (even if I don't think it's likely/possible)

I wish more of our big problems were tackled this way. Have a few different states take a crack at it, see what the results are, figure out if it's something that should be done across the board. Maybe the answer is each state adapts a version that will be successful for them, as opposed to some Federal program that forces all 50 states to do it a specific way.

11 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

The Devil you know. He's really good to us on ocassion.  But then he always leaves us hanging.  Plenty of solar and wind out here too.

Think when they eliminate fossil fuels they will get college funding from wind and solar instead?

of course they will not eliminate it, but rather just tax it more. :pint:

UT been feasting on oil money for ages.

https://www.kxan.com/top-stories/ut-draws-from-oil-money-to-give-free-tuition-for-families-earning-up-to-65k/

37 minutes ago, tshile said:

I wish more of our big problems were tackled this way. Have a few different states take a crack at it, see what the results are, figure out if it's something that should be done across the board. Maybe the answer is each state adapts a version that will be successful for them, as opposed to some Federal program that forces all 50 states to do it a specific way.

I still prefer things being done via a baseline Federal program/requirement that States can elect to beef up.

That said..I too hope this works in NM. 

The original idea of stopping public education at 18 is basically an arbitrary number conceived around when we consider someone "ready" to exist by themselves making their own money. 

If you believe, as I do, that the roll of public education is to enable someone to be able to get a job that, on around 40 hours of work, enables them to exist above the poverty line, then this is a no brainer. Vocation/trade/4year degree is irrelevant. What matters is can someone get a job that allows them to live above the poverty line.

Archived