ixcuincle

That’s what a well run PP unit can do. 

Not a whole lot of fancy stuff.  Just crisp passing and finding the open guy

I turned it off at 5-2 then the Canes just got another one 

The team has just given up

Edited by DCSaints_fan

5 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

The team has just given up

I don't think they've given up, I think this is just who they are - a very average club who is capable of beating good teams when they get great goaltending and/or lucky bounces, but more times than not they're going to fall short against better clubs, as they've been doing over the past couple weeks.

There's no easy fix for this. We're not a trade or a free agent signing away from being competitive. Management needs to realize there's absolutely nothing left to squeeze out of what's left of the core of this team, and launch a rebuild. But they seem unwilling to do that, because Ted has his head so far up Ovi's ass and has promised him we won't tear this lousy team down as long as he's chasing a record which is now looking a lot more unattainable than it did just a couple months ago.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Im not even sure what reason there is to not tear it up, since with the current lineup, Ovi isn't doing anything anyway. Soon as Nicky stepped away all bets should of been off about a rebuild. Kuzy playing like dog ass has expedited that, imo. Strome isn't a play maker. They need a true 1c in a big way, or Ovi might as well plan on playing till he's 45. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, GoDeep81 said:

Im not even sure what reason there is to not tear it up, since with the current lineup, Ovi isn't doing anything anyway. Soon as Nicky stepped away all bets should of been off about a rebuild. Kuzy playing like dog ass has expedited that, imo. Strome isn't a play maker. They need a true 1c in a big way, or Ovi might as well plan on playing till he's 45. 

According to Spotrac for 2024-25 we have $12m space left and 18/23 players signed.    I think we can buy out Backstrom and add like $3-4m.  Can probably do the same with Oshie assuming he's not coming back.

There's a couple of big name Cs available as UFA (Stamkos, Nylander, Reinart, Guentzel, Marchessault, a 39 year old Pavelski) after the season end, but half of those guys probably are resigned by their teams, and we're going to be an extremely tough sell.  We just don't have alot to offer besides money and the chance of being the guy that helps Ovi break the goal scoring record.  

Edited by DCSaints_fan

16 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

According to Spotrac for 2024-25 we have $12m space left and 18/23 players signed.    I think we can buy out Backstrom and add like $3-4m.  Can probably do the same with Oshie assuming he's not coming back.

Don't have to buy out injured players.  Just use LTIR and get all of the cap space.  If there's anyone to consider buying out, it's Kuznetsov who is just not playing good hockey right now and eating up a ton of cap space and a roster spot that could go towards a Center that might actually have a positive impact (Hendrix Lapierre to 3rd line center?  Maybe even Protas, though I am hesitant to do so and break up the Mantha-McMichael-Protas line).  Of course it would be better if we could Trade Kuznetsov and not suffer an extended cap penalty.  Retain salary if we have to.

16 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

There's a couple of big name Cs available as UFA (Stamkos, Nylander, Reinart, Guentzel, Marchessault, a 39 year old Pavelski) after the season end, but half of those guys probably are resigned by their teams, and we're going to be an extremely tough sell.  We just don't have alot to offer besides money and the chance of being the guy that helps Ovi break the goal scoring record. 

I know Center is the obvious choice when it comes to trying to improve a winger's goal-scoring, but I feel like Wing and Defense are bigger holes to fill.

Problem with LTIR and cap space is, Ted would have to sign off on spending all that extra money, out of pocket. Maybe if they showed signs of life, but right now I don't see him doing much in that direction. Possibly next year?

39 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

Problem with LTIR and cap space is, Ted would have to sign off on spending all that extra money, out of pocket. Maybe if they showed signs of life, but right now I don't see him doing much in that direction. Possibly next year?

Also worth noting that a player must be deemed fit to play in order to qualify for a buyout.  But let's say whomever we want to buy out is deemed fit and we go with the buyout.  It only saves a third of their cost, leaving the remaining 2/3s of the cap hit on the roster, meanwhile LTIR gives you use of their entire cap hit.

So let's say he buys out Backstrom.  Ted saves $3 mil next year, but the team has $6 mil less cap space available, which is impact-player money.  Same deal with Oshie (though I'm not betting on him being done yet; need more information).  Ted can save $1.75 mil next year, but have $3.5 mil less in cap space.  That's a total of $9.5 mil in cap space lost to save $4.75 mil (and possibly lose some good-will with free agents that see a team that will try to screw them out of money if they get hurt).  That's a top-line forward or top-pairing defender.

8 hours ago, GoDeep81 said:

This team has so many bad contracts right now. GMBM gives them out like candy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Also worth noting that a player must be deemed fit to play in order to qualify for a buyout.  But let's say whomever we want to buy out is deemed fit and we go with the buyout.  It only saves a third of their cost, leaving the remaining 2/3s of the cap hit on the roster, meanwhile LTIR gives you use of their entire cap hit.

Yeah, lots of avenues to navigate. It'd be a real pisser if he did buyout Nicky or Oshie. Save himself a few bucks but screw the team for an extra year. 

You know what hurts?  Dmitri Orlov was a free agent this past off-season after we traded him away at the deadline.  He wanted to come home.  He signed for only two seasons, not the rumored long-term-contract we didn't want to give him.  His cap hit is about that of Jensen and TvR's combined cap hits, while these days they're trading off on the press box seat.

Imagine the difference on our blue-line if you plugged him into the line-up.  Instant upgrade in all three zones, and a boost to our physicality.

• Like 4

Yep, Darcy goes down too early, quite often. Should of made at least 2 of those saves. Then we can't score so it really doesn't matter. Young guys who can skate but have mid skills is what we're stuck with. Carbery can arrange the lines any way he wants, but we can't overcome all the talent and salary we have on the books, who can no longer pull weight. I haven't looked at the stats, but I imagine we're 50ish goals behind what we could/should have?