Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So... who's been to China?

UKskins

Going to China for the first time in the summer.

Got 5 days in Beijing, 4 days in Cheng Du and 11 in Shanghai (Partner's aunt lives there so needs to be the longer stop).

Itinerary so far:

Beijing: Great Wall, Tiannamen Sq, Forbidden Palace

Cheng Du: Pandas, Leshan Giant Buddha

Shanghai: See family, 2 or 3 day trip to Zhangjiajie (mountains that inspired Avatar), Hangzhou/West Lake, Maybe one of the water towns, Shanghai sights like the Bund etc

My question is - what am I missing? Is there something that is a must see? We're not going to make it X'ian or Three Gorges Dam etc this time - Those 3 locations are locked in with flights and accomodation booked, so is there anything not currently on my itinerary that anyone would recommend?

I went to Beijing about 12 years ago but everything has changed since then so it would be hard to suggest what to see besides the obvious. 

Beijing wasn’t to different from any large city in the United States in my opinion. What I would suggest is spending a day or two in South Korea, since you’ll be so close to it. They have got a lot of great parks and the Buddhist temples in South Korea are impressive. The south coast of South Korea also has some of the most beautiful coast line.

china has some great tea, even if you aren’t a tea person. There was a garden we went to where they served the best floral tea I have ever had but sadly I can’t seem to figure out where it was. I know I bought some “Mr Tea” tea from the places gift shop... but that’s a while ago.

I've been twice.  Once in 2006 to study Tai Chi.  I posted a thread on it:

Unfortunately the pictures are included in the archived thread.

The second time I went was to adopt our daughter.  We went to Beijing, Kunming and Guanzhou.

When you are in Beijing I would also go see the Summer Palace where they have the Marble Boat.  Also check out the Temple of Heaven.

Definitely take time and walk through the various parks.  Behai park and Jingshan parks are just to the north of the Forbidden City (within walking distance).  It is interesting to watch the natives do Tai Chi, water calligraphy, ribbon dancing and various other group activities in the park.  

You may also want to go to the Wangfujing walking street in the evening.  This is where at night they have all the vendors with weird food on skewers such as scorpions, centipedes, starfish silkworm larvae, baby sharks, etc...

O5sMa1k.jpg

If you like to shop there are various good places to go.  The Pearl Market is an adventure.  Be prepared to barter, each level gets more upscale until you reach the top where they sell the pearl (after which the market is named) and jewelry.  Immediately adjacent in the building next door there is a market where they sell toys and other interesting items.  

If you like tea, there is a tea district, and many stores there to get all kinds of tea and tea paraphernalia.

Have fun!

Thanks guys - South Korea is out for this trip although it is somewhere I'd like to visit in future, but we're already doing a 13 hour flight and two internal flights, with a 2 year old in tow so don't really want to add any more flying onto the agenda.

Wangfujing sounds a bit like Khao San Road in Bangkok - I tried a scorpion when I was out there - it's about as grim as it looks!!

Temple of heaven and Summer Palace duly noted - thanks.

No interest in tea myself (I break the British stereotype in that sense) but my partner loves it so she'll be happy.

Archived