Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier vs. Turner At the Podium

bulldog

Turner addressing the media at the postgame review:

"we competed out there today and left it all on the field. Hopefully, in future the results will be different. We have to find a way to make it happen."

Spurrier addressing the media at the postgame review:

" we didn't play very well today. I'm not telling you anything you didn't see. They were better today, give them credit. We have to try and find ways not to make the same mistakes we have continued to make"

Is there any real difference other than the twang? :)

Least Norv racked up the offense and players thrived under his system from time to time...

Terry Allen had back to back 1000 yard seasons under Norv.

Trent Green threw for over 3000 yards and over 20 td's and he didnt even start the whole year and didn't play more than a couple snaps up until then.

and then Brad and Stephen's 1999 season.. Brad therw for more yards than freaking Kurt Warner during his breakout season! Damn that was fun. The stinky defense wasn't...

We were in games during the Norv years, we lost, yes, but we were in them. Our crappy, no name players like Scott Galbraith, Jamie Asher, Shay Pourdanesh, and Tom Carter helped keep things close during the first few years and when Norv had some talent he made good in 1999. A crappy FO helped ruin the team and everything went downhill.. Norv had mistakes too, like being soft on players...

I know....I'm just pointing out the fact that he attacked defenses and players did decently.

Players come here and play like garbage. We dont attack...we don't adjust...I heard the comment from someone here that we never see coles get matched up with a linebacker or a safety by some design?

Why do all of our plays involving wide receivers take place along the sideline while the middle of the field is almost never utilized?

Spurrier is soft. the one disciplinarian on the team, it looks like, is Hue Jackson...still, when all is said and done, a Marty holdover...but players can't take him too seriously because they know that Spurrier ultimately calls the shots.

So why not Hue for head coach? That's it....this is for a new thread....

let's not lionize Norv too much. I remember our 0-7 start in 1998 and that 41-7 loss to the Vikings in primetime that was as embarrassing as it gets.

one thing I will give Norv is that he rarely had good talent to work with, although, that is partially his own fault for insisting the club select Shuler and Westbrook.

I went to that Vikings game and it hurt as much live as it did on t.v.

The only thing worse is the 27-0 loss at home to Dallas this weekend! What and the hell happened? I was under the impression some of the players liked Spurrier! Well case closed on that. This is one of the worse moments in Washington Redskin history and someone has to answer for it! My vote goes to Spurrier what a total waste of time he has become. I haven't seen any fireworks from his offense and to boot 2 of our best games came with the coordinator calling plays? So what is it that Spurrier does!? I'm so upset with how things have gone under Spurrier, I was a little optomistic with the hiring of him and now I just hope it goes away at the end of the year. We can't let this thing ride out, like we let Norv Turners bunch ride out! Let's just take another hit and go find a real coach please!

it does appear strange that the players kept saying they wanted continuity and feared a management purge and yet right after Snyder says Spurrier is returning, three days later the club lays on the biggest eggs in franchise history :mad:

again, these players voices shouldn't matter in regards to who coaches the team. their on field performances are the main reason the coach and organization are in the hopper in the first place!

maybe somebody ought to step up and tell the players it is their own faults they find themselves in this position?

Oh, I forgot...........Snyder is a player lover and isn't going to confront any players in support of his own front office and staff.

He is too busy teeing it up with Bruce Smith or inviting Randy Thomas to ride around in his new custom Bentley :laugh:

I'm starting to figure out the curse this team is undergoing as a result of FedEx being built on Indian burial ground. Too many of us have forgotten how dismal the Skins were in the one year of Petitbon and the early years of Turner, so we are being forced to watch it again. Next up is a 7-1 start before a collapse to 9-7.

Of course, at least Richie and Norv had the excuse of inheriting teams that had been pretty much gutted from the glory years. The only way Mr. "40-hour work week will succeed in the NFL" will make the playoffs is if he's still around when the postseason expands to 14 or more teams.

You know what? We may not be happy with Spurrier , and justifiably so, but I will not sit by and listen to revisionists tell me how much better it was under norv.

I don't give a damn WHAT stats are put up to defend that point, Norv Turner was the worst blight ever to hit this team, bar NONE.

And don't forget it.

~Bang

Well, first let me clarify, a winning season with no playoff appearances doesn't matter to me,, Norv pulled one plum from his rectum. (in fact, I am of the thinking that if you don't win it all, it was a losing season.. but that's just me.)

Spurrier is not turning out to be a prize, but as stated above,, reflecting on the "good ol' days' of Norville is sad.

Norv sucked, & his teams sucked regardless of what individual performances he got from his RBs.

I think we could probably agree that we have just as much faith that the team could win with Norv as with Spurrier. Which is to say 'not much'.

~Bang

Archived