Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

My understanding is he doesn't want to go the Yankees...trying to stay West Coast...can't make him sign as Yankee, ain't for lack of effort hes not in pinstripes, that's for sure...

Sounds like an excuse to me. 

If the Dodgers offer him $600M, surely the Yankees could offer him a B. Make him change his mind.

The Yankees are staring down their longest WS drought in 100+ years. And what are they doing? Trading Dick Fitts for Alex Verdugo.

Already making excuses about not going after the best free agent in the history of North American sports.

Now they are going to trade for Soto when they were too scared to pony up the prospects in 2022.

They have one great pitcher in Gerritt Cole, then not much else after that. There is no excuse for them not to pick up Yomamota, Snell, and Montgomery (whom they traded for Harrison Bader 🤣). 

They also let a 100+ win division rival outbid them for Kimbrel, who they should have signed to set up for Josh Hader.

The Yankees are going to try to sell their fans on DJ LeMahieu (96 OPS+) as their 3B when Matt Chapman (4.4) is available. Seriously, they plan to run it back with two corner IFer who are 34 and older and couldn’t combine for 2 WAR last season.

It’s all very disrespectful to the Yankee diehards like you and @ixcuincle.

They stood on the sidelines for Bryce, Machado, and Corey Seager.

Instead of strong arming the good people of New York to pay for their stadium, they should be buying another championship. Big George is rolling over in his grave.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@Ball Security your sarcasm is interfering with your point.

Some people can't be bought, Ohtani is one of them...

I agree. Not after playing for the Angels. I don’t blame him for not wanting to go to a non playoff team. 

By the way, Dom Smith outperformed your favorite team’s 1B. Dom Smith. And they have shown no signs of upgrading. Why not?

Edited by Ball Security

10 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I agree. Not after playing for the Angels. I don’t blame him for not wanting to go to a non playoff team. 

By the way, Dom Smith outperformed your favorite team’s 1B. Dom Smith. And they have shown no signs of upgrading. Why not?

First off, Nats are still may favorite team until Yankees trade for Soto...that'd be final straw for me.

No team is above criticism, not even the Yankees, I jus have a line as a fan one I didn't think I had when I was young because I kept making excuses to stay like I did my favorite football team.

But like @ixcuincle I was a Yankess fan first, at least until DC finally got its own team, to help keep the conversation honest.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

First off, Nats are still may favorite team until Yankees trade for Soto...that'd be final straw for me.

No team is above criticism, not even the Yankees, I jus have a line as a fan one I didn't think I had when I was young because I kept making excuses to stay like I did my favorite football team.

But like @ixcuincle I was a Yankess fan first, at least until DC finally got its own team, to help keep the conversation honest.

You could have waited to later today/tomorrow to read my post and it would have been applicable. 😎

I’m curious. In 2024, the Yankees will be your favorite team. What will you do if Soto walks to Queens in the offseason? Will you still be a Yankee fan? Will you shift allegiance to the Mets? 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

You could have waited to later today/tomorrow to read my post and it would have been applicable. 😎

I’m curious. In 2024, the Yankees will be your favorite team. What will you do if Soto walks to Queens in the offseason? Will you still be a Yankee fan? Will you shift allegiance to the Mets? 

No, I'll stay with the Yankees...like I said, final straw.

This goes back to living in DC and us looking around saying we didn't even like baseball when they were going out of their way to get a team.  Then it became obvious the team wasn't for us.

Fast forward to most every team refusing to visit Trump in the white house following their championship...Nats fans had let it be known their disdain for that dude, but went anyway.  When I saw Susuki getting a reach around titty twister from #45 I didn't feel like it was my team anymore, they have played in DC, but they didn't represent the area that pretty heavily voted against that schmuck.

Hiding the process of gutting the team of contracts or potential contracts to make the team easier to sell after finally getting their ring was hard to watch. 

Seeing our youngest best player in my original team would be a final straw.  This I'd a personal choice.  I'll make time to explain it because yall been cool, hut I don't feel the need to defend it.  Yall picked your teams for reasons as well besides pretty colors, right?

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Then out of curiosity, why did you switch to the Nats?

Please see above post.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pono said:

I'm stuck with all of DCs terrible teams, cause that's my city. Otherwise I would just jump to the best teams year to year. Nobody would take you seriously as a fan though, like Ix for example. 

Once upon a time DC didn't have a team, that's like calling out all the DC Orioles fans for not switching to Nats...which I'm glad we didn't do.

Edited by Renegade7

6 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Personally, I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the Crews/Wood/House era.😀

I'll wish it well from afar, not like I'm burning a bridge and act like i never knew em, ill keep my jerseys (Stras and Zimm), I even have a Greys jersey...

5 minutes ago, Pono said:

Maybe it's something younger generations do more often, rooting for players rather than the team. 

Hard to say, that'd definitely true in Basketball now

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Looks like the Yankees will part with King, Brito, and Vazquez.  Their SP is really thinning out. They better hope that Cohen or Boston doesn’t outbid them for Yomamota.

They like the opposite of what we used to be, go out of their way for Bats instead of pitchers, I can respect them trying to make jugular moves like getting Cole, I'll never question their desire to win, their competence is always open to review.

But they still need a bullpen and not forget how to play small ball. 

Bats can go cold, it doesn't hurt to have guys that get contact to keep the line moving versus relying too much on long ball.

Last thing I'll say on this is I have two daughters and if Snyder didn't sell the team I was heading in the dkrection of Fandom hibernation at best because of the way the franchise was treating women.  Decisions like this are allowed to be personal, respect anyones decision to be fans how they chose to be fans. It can be hard sometimes, sometimes unbareable...

26 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'll wish it well from afar, not like I'm burning a bridge and act like i never knew em, ill keep my jerseys (Stras and Zimm), I even have a Greys jersey...

Hard to say, that'd definitely true in Basketball now

I’m not in the business of telling people how to be fans, but I do find it strange that in one post you mention Suzuki, but in another you talk about keeping your Zimmerman jersey.

Sports are stupid and meaningless. But, man, I love them. If I let my team’s players’ political views affect my enjoyment of the sport, then the terrorists have won. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice…we won’t get fooled again.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I’m not in the business of telling people how to be fans, but I do find it strange that in one post you mention Suzuki, but in another you talk about keeping your Zimmerman jersey.

Sports are stupid and meaningless. But, man, I love them. If I let my team’s players’ political views affect my enjoyment of the sport, then the terrorists have won. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice…we won’t get fooled again.

This is fair...I coulda ignored what a couple players thought, thats a chore i cant keep up with, but not the whole team goin to the WH, that was different to me, it felt wrong AF at the time.

1 hour ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Personally, I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the Crews/Wood/House era.😀

To be clear in case your question wasn't answered, DC didn't have a baseball team when my Dad introduced me to it. 

DC has had weird stretches without a team that even impacted my Dad, he was 1 when the 1st Senators team left to be the Twins, then early teens when 2nd one left to be the Rangers.  He's from DC and came back, but was living in Manhattan during the 80s when he finally adopted them, hardly their best decade of baseball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

To be clear in case your question wasn't answered, DC didn't have a baseball team when my Dad introduced me to it. 

DC has had weird stretches without a team that even impacted my Dad, he was 1 when the 1st Senators team left to be the Twins, then early teens when 2nd one left to be the Rangers.  He's from DC and came back, but was living in Manhattan during the 80s when he finally adopted them, hardly their best decade of baseball.

Exactly. DC didn't have a baseball team in 2001 when I started following them.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ball Security said:

What’s happening here? He knows that he underpaid. But he’s the one that agreed to the length of the Philly deal with the lower AAV and no opt outs. Does he expect them to tear up the contract and redo it? He’s playing for the only team and fan base he’s ever loved. How is this going to play with the Philly crowd?

MVP Sports Group absolutely smoked Boras in the way they handled Machado versus they way he handled Harper.

It's a really weird ask--considering he's already playing there until he's 39. They have another 8 years to discuss this. Why bring this up now? Very strange. Baseball rules don't allow teams to rework contracts, so....

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's a really weird ask--considering he's already playing there until he's 39. They have another 8 years to discuss this. Why bring this up now? Very strange. Baseball rules don't allow teams to rework contracts, so....

It's not common, but MLB restructures do happen.  Union has to approve as well, so typically players don't end up with a worse deal (pay cut would be paired with a player desired release, something like that).  I think few instances where Union approved veterans clearly doing a favor for a team by deferring money.  Doubt Harper is looking to restructure to a worse deal than what he has now, so the union will allow the restructure if the team and Harper agrees on something.

3 minutes ago, bearrock said:

It's not common, but MLB restructures do happen.  Union has to approve as well, so typically players don't end up with a worse deal (pay cut would be paired with a player desired release, something like that).  I think few instances where Union approved veterans clearly doing a favor for a team by deferring money.  Doubt Harper is looking to restructure to a worse deal than what he has now, so the union will allow the restructure if the team and Harper agrees on something.

Do you have examples?