Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

11 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Seems a little odd to bring back Martinez, but then shake up his staff. Bogar (bench coach) gone along with Young, Discarcina, and the assistant hitting coach.

I am sure Ken Rosenthal will write an article telling us all what to think.

It is interesting, Bogar in particular ruffled the feathers of many on Twitter. I really want Daniel Murphy as assistant hitting coach. That would be awesome.

• Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

How so?

Apparently, he is the "real" manager of this team? Eric Young though is a bit of a headscratcher, since Abrams broke out on the base paths this year. For the most part, it's also the same dip****s who believe Coles wants them to hit ground balls and Hickey doesn't care about mechanics and pitch shape.

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Apparently, he is the "real" manager of this team? Eric Young though is a bit of a headscratcher, since Abrams broke out on the base paths this year. For the most part, it's also the same dip****s who believe Coles wants them to hit ground balls and Hickey doesn't care about mechanics and pitch shape.

I just think it’s odd to bring back the manager, but then make cuts to his staff. I can see one or two guys moving on, but four? Is this all Martinez or is he being told that he really doesn’t have total say in his staff?

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

I just think it’s odd to bring back the manager, but then make cuts to his staff. I can see one or two guys moving on, but four? Is this all Martinez or is he being told that he really doesn’t have total say in his staff?

Really, no idea what is behind any of the moves and will just wait and see.

With the offseason coming up, they have to trim four guys to get down to 40 players. They have 5 days to do this after the end of the WS. If it was me, I wouldn’t offer arbitration to Robles and release Abbott, Rutherford, and Harris. I think that’s pretty easy and straightforward forward. Then they have a few days after that to decide who they want to protect from the rule V draft. I think there are five guys in their top 30: Herz, Henry, Parker, Wade, and Brzykcy. Plus Powell who is in Arizona this fall. I see a minimum of two guys here, maybe four total.

Before that, there are decisions on the arbitration guys:

I’d say Rainey, Harvey, Thomas, Finnegan, and Garcia are locks. Chavis and Smith are maybes. Can they get more power to replace Smith at first? Is there space on the roster for Chavis?

They are set at C and SS next year. I don’t see them acquiring an OF with Thomas, Young, Garrett, Call on the roster with Crews, Wood, and Hassell knocking on the door. I also don’t see them going after a 3B with House and Morales in the system. Keiboom, Vargas, and Chavis are likely to be the placeholders until House is up. 

I’d like for them to get better pitching. In fact, I’d like for them to change their approach with the staff in general. Last season the wasted a spot with Ward and then Abbott. The rest of the guys were mostly used as one inning guys. Tough to manage the pen that way. 

In an ideal world, they would replace Corbin and Williams in the rotation either by trade or FA or with Rutledge. Then have Williams and Adon in the bullpen along with Rutledge if there are better options in the rotation.

For FA, the only starters that I could envision are Montgomery, SGray, and Nola. There are other starters like Snell, Yomomata, ERodriguez, and Stroman. With that many starters out there, I think Rizzo could have a shot at one. I’m mostly interested in Montgomery. I think SGray may be a reach for us as I think he’ll limit his choices on win now teams and Nola will end up getting more than we should go. Outside of those guys, I’d rather go in house instead of Giolito, Flaherty, etc.

On the trade front, we could really match up with Seattle. They have seven starters plus Ray coming back after the AS break. They need help at COF and 2B. I understand the subtraction of Thomas is counterintuitive to the need to increase power. But if they feel good about Garrett’s rehab, and Wood and Crews look ready, I’d love to get Logan Gilbert or Bryan Woo.

• Like 1

Exciting hire. They still need to find the player development side. Ciolek talks about how they go hand-in-hand in the clip below. 

The FO shakeup is starting to make sense. Have to think that the player development guy is coming from one of the final four teams likely.

The listing of the Orioles draft is nice, but you have to have the development side. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

The FO shakeup is starting to make sense. Have to think that the player development guy is coming from one of the final four teams likely.

Agree. That whole Ken Rosenthal article a couple of weeks ago looks like complete fabricated bull****, doesn't it?

I mentioned upthread about cutting the roster down to 40 by cutting three players and not offering arbitration to Robles. The ended up releasing Rutherford and Harris. But the cut Chavis instead of Abbott.

I’m a little surprised that the cut Chavis. Not a big deal, but he’s a nice player to have as your 13th position player.