Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

24 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

So I heard this about Skenes and it makes me want him to be a Nat even more.

I didn't watch the college World Series final but saw some highlights, including the LSU celebration after the last out.  It showed Skenes coming out of the dugout carrying a teammate on piggyback, and I'm thinking "dude that is not smart, you could strain something lugging that big lunk into the dog pile."

Then I learned that earlier in the game, LSU's catcher Alex Milazzo had to leave the game after he broke his leg on a play at home plate.  Milazzo is who Skenes is carrying on his back so that his battery-mate could celebrate on the field with his team. 

How is THAT for being a good teammate?

Mensch.

Yeah, it was a really cool moment. I was watching hoping he wouldn’t jump into the dogpile and I don’t think he did.

The catcher was a baserunner on the play and he was jumping to avoid a tag at home and landed in an awful way.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

So I heard this about Skenes and it makes me want him to be a Nat even more.

I didn't watch the college World Series final but saw some highlights, including the LSU celebration after the last out.  It showed Skenes coming out of the dugout carrying a teammate on piggyback, and I'm thinking "dude that is not smart, you could strain something lugging that big lunk into the dog pile."

Then I learned that earlier in the game, LSU's catcher Alex Milazzo had to leave the game after he broke his leg on a play at home plate.  Milazzo is who Skenes is carrying on his back so that his battery-mate could celebrate on the field with his team. 

How is THAT for being a good teammate?

Mensch.

Yeah, it was a really cool moment. I was watching hoping he wouldn’t jump into the dogpile and I don’t think he did.

The catcher was a baserunner on the play and he was jumping to avoid a tag at home and landed in an awful way.

Through 7 games in AAA, Blake Rutherford is OPSing a ridiculous 1.291. He was a former first rounder by the Yankees in 2016 so at one point he was a hyped prospect. Never been to the majors and looked like a career AAA-er until this season when suddenly he started raking.

Did the lightbulb go on and we have something here? Cause his K rate was and still is declining.

Year Level PA BB SO BB Rate K Rate
2019 AA 480 37 118 7.71% 24.58%
2021 AAA 476 21 119 4.41% 25.00%
2022 AAA 467 21 91 4.50% 19.49%
2023 AA 141 9 25 6.38% 17.73%
2023 AAA 29 2 4 6.90% 13.79%

• Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Through 7 games in AAA, Blake Rutherford is OPSing a ridiculous 1.291. He was a former first rounder by the Yankees in 2016 so at one point he was a hyped prospect. Never been to the majors and looked like a career AAA-er until this season when suddenly he started raking.

Did the lightbulb go on and we have something here? Cause his K rate was and still is declining.

Year Level PA BB SO BB Rate K Rate
2019 AA 480 37 118 7.71% 24.58%
2021 AAA 476 21 119 4.41% 25.00%
2022 AAA 467 21 91 4.50% 19.49%
2023 AA 141 9 25 6.38% 17.73%
2023 AAA 29 2 4 6.90% 13.79%

I don’t know if we have anything or not, but he’s a guy that should definitely get ABs in August and September. Dickerson should be gone by then.

30 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

My guess is that it’ll be Abbott that gets sent down.

Good timing to get another lefty up for Philly.

I like the set up of this bullpen:

Harvey, Finnegan, Thompson, Weems, Willingham, Ward, La Sorsa, Ferrer. 

Somebody will need to go down when Edwards gets back, but hopefully they can trade him.

• Like 1

Nationals appear to have an awkward fun problem at 3B right now.

Candelario in the Majors is playing well.

Alu in AAA is playing well.

Lipscomb in AA is playing well.

House in A+ is playing well.

Logjam where you can't move any up unless you trade Candelario. If this continues he's gotta be moved soon right?

The Candy Man is not long for this team. He'll fetch a top 150 and maybe a wild card. It looks as though hitters are going to be sparse this year, so it's a sellers market. We should maximize Thomas value too. I love the Lane Train, but I don't think he's going to maintain this pace.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

29 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

The Candy Man is not long for this team. He'll fetch a top 150 and maybe a wild card. It looks as though hitters are going to be sparse this year, so it's a sellers market. We should maximize Thomas value too. I love the Lane Train, but I don't think he's going to maintain this pace.

Any MiLB 1B players who could come up to take Dom's spot? He's last in SLG for all MLB 1B. He needs to be moved to let a youngster gets some ABs. 

22 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

8 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Nationals appear to have an awkward fun problem at 3B right now.

Candelario in the Majors is playing well.

Alu in AAA is playing well.

Lipscomb in AA is playing well.

House in A+ is playing well.

Logjam where you can't move any up unless you trade Candelario. If this continues he's gotta be moved soon right?

Candelario will likely be traded. I’d temper the enthusiasm on the return though. Typically, a soon to be FA doesn’t bring much back. He may end up being the best bat that gets moved, but even Machado didn’t bring much back at the deadline. Alu definitely should get the majority of ABs at 3rd in August and September.

Candelario was an excellent pick up this offseason. 

For Thomas, I’d move him in an overpay. Say this was last season, I’d want Susana, Hassell, and one to two more lottery tickets. They can be selective him. They don’t have to move him.

Harvey, the same way. If someone wants to overpay, let’s do it. His arm health definitely concerns me.

Dickerson, Edwards, Robles should go for whatever.

Corbin has a much better chance at getting moved than he did at the beginning of the season.

There could be 7-10 new spots on the 40 man by the time August rolls around.

1 minute ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Any MiLB 1B players who could come up to take Dom's spot? He's last in SLG for all MLB 1B. He needs to be moved to let a youngster gets some ABs. 

Not really. There isn’t much, if any, 1B talent in the system. I’d like them to use Riley Adams more often at 1B. There’s no reason why he shouldn’t be playing at least 3 days a week at C, DH, 1B.

• Like 1

Wonder what our prospect pipeline ranking will be after the draft. Whether its Skenes or Crews, gotta think we'll be pretty high on the list?

Per this MLB article in late May, we were #10, up from #15 from mid-year 2022:

10. Washington Nationals
2022 midseason rank: 15
2022 preseason rank: 23
2021 midseason rank: 20
2021 preseason rank: 30

Top 100 prospects: James Wood, OF (No. 17); Robert Hassell III, OF (No. 35), Elijah Green, OF (No. 46); Cade Cavalli, RHP (No. 58)

The Washington farm system needed to get better after the Juan Soto trade, and adding two Top 100 talents in Wood and Hassell certainly helped. The former’s launch into becoming one of the toolsiest outfield prospects in the Minors further fueled the Nats’ move into the Top 10 for the first time since the 2016 midseason list. Another five-tool talent in Cristhian Vaquero and fireballer Jarlin Susana await their opportunities to jump into the Top 100 in 2023, and the No. 2 overall pick in July should fortify the group even more. More »

Moves like Candelario and Thomas are why I like Mike Rizzo. We do need to get better in later rounds of the draft, but by and large, he makes mostly good to great deals. We got Thomas for Jon Lester's bloated corpse. What a heist.

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Moves like Candelario and Thomas are why I like Mike Rizzo. We do need to get better in later rounds of the draft, but by and large, he makes mostly good to great deals. We got Thomas for Jon Lester's bloated corpse. What a heist.

We had Stephen Souza in 2014. He turned that into Gray and Ruiz.

I definitely want to keep Rizzo.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Matt Adams? Dom Smith is useless at the plate, but Adams is terrible defensively, so there is a trade off.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I'm worried Crews may not want to play for the Nats I hope he plays ball

Boras client...

We won’t have any issue signing Crews. The issue with the Pirates is small market/budget and cheap owners. If he’s pushing back on them drafting him, it’s because he wants to slip to us. You’ve got to go to *at least* 11th in the draft to find an arguably better situation. 

• Thumb up 1

Just now, TheGoodBits said:

We won’t have any issue signing Crews. The issue with the Pirates is small market/budget and cheap owners. If he’s pushing back on them drafting him, it’s because he wants to slip to us. You’ve got to go to *at least* 11th in the draft to find an arguably better situation. 

either way we win with skenes or crews

just a matter of whether they want to cooperate with the cheap lerners

8 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

either way we win with skenes or crews

just a matter of whether they want to cooperate with the cheap lerners

This is a terrible take. The Lerners spend on players--they've signed every first rounder since Aaron Crow in 2008 and that was under Jim Bowden. Please stop acting like the Lerners run the Nationals like the A's, Guardians, Reds, or Pirates. It's entirely and demonstrably false.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1