Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Davey is playing with fire bringing in Harvey three days in a row. 

Close this out with Thompson and Ramirez.  It’s a long season.

Thompson yes, Ramirez no. They need to send Harris down for someone more reliable. 

34 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Thompson yes, Ramirez no. They need to send Harris down for someone more reliable. 

I would have gone with Thompson in the eighth and pitched him in the ninth depending on score and his eighth inning effort. 

If you can’t trust Ramirez with a three run lead after he’s only thrown 14 pitches all week, then you should probably release him.

You can’t carry three relievers that you are too scared to pitch in a three run game.

You could make a case about replacing Harris with Weems, but Harris has given up zero earned runs in two thirds of his appearances.

How would you have handled the eighth and ninth innings?

It’s a shame they couldn’t have played another run and let Corbin try to work his way out of the eighth. But I understand that you don’t want him pitching to the potential tying run.

Edited by Ball Security

21 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

How would you have handled the eighth and ninth innings?

Maybe Thompson? It's a difficult situation and the Twitter Managers are out in full force. Thompson has been really good in medium to low leverage situations, but in 19 High Leverage PAs (per B-R), he has a .353/.421/.765 line against. So it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

I think probably Hunter Harvey gives you the best chance there. But I also worry about his injury history too. He was one pitch away from getting out of it--Horner happened to hit an elevated fastball out of the zone.

I typically am not overly critical of bullpen moves. Every manager in the history of baseball has a laundry list of terrible bullpen decisions.

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

That definitely Davey's biggest weakness--he only has a few arms in the pen he trusts. Ramirez has just been awful though.

Ramirez has put up zeroes in six of his last seven outings. There’s no reason to not pitch him five days in a row unless he’s hurt. And if he’s hurt, bring up Abbott or Weems. 

I don’t think it’s a knee jerk reaction at all. Pitching guys three days in a row (in cool/cold weather, btw) is something you should not do. Especially in early May. If it’s late August or September and you’re scratching to get in the playoffs, that’s one thing. But now? No way. 

Are you going to pitch them tomorrow if it’s a close game? What about Saturday and Sunday? Pitch them five times in six days? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Are you going to pitch them tomorrow if it’s a close game? What about Saturday and Sunday? Pitch them five times in six days?

No. That I would be highly critical of Davey for. I don't think either will be available until Sunday at the earliest.

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

No. That I would be highly critical of Davey for. I don't think either will be available until Sunday at the earliest.

So that’s kind of my point. Now you go to Arizona with your closer and eighth inning guy available for one game instead of two. Sit them today and you can comfortably pitch them Friday/Sunday, Saturday/Sunday, or possibly even Friday/Saturday with Sunday off.

• Like 1

Just now, Ball Security said:

So that’s kind of my point. Now you go to Arizona with your closer and eighth inning guy available for one game instead of two. Sit them today and you can comfortably pitch them Friday/Sunday, Saturday/Sunday, or possibly even Friday/Saturday with Sunday off.

I understand. Bullpen management is really difficult. We also may not need to closer or 8th inning guy for one reason or another. I know I am in the minority here, but there are a billion decisions that go into this, so, I am not overly critical unless it's a REALLY bad decision. Like Trevor Rosenthal in 2019. Or Matt WIlliams leaving Felipe Vazquez in to face the Mets for a 3rd inning in 2015.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I understand. Bullpen management is really difficult. We also may not need to closer or 8th inning guy for one reason or another. I know I am in the minority here, but there are a billion decisions that go into this, so, I am not overly critical unless it's a REALLY bad decision. Like Trevor Rosenthal in 2019. Or Matt WIlliams leaving Felipe Vazquez in to face the Mets for a 3rd inning in 2015.

Remember, I think it was 2018, when Shawn Kelly gave up a homerun in a blowout, kicked his glove, and got DFA’d? I felt bad for him. Obviously, you can’t do that, and releasing him was justifiable. But…I understood where he was coming from. He was getting warm in the at-bat before the ninth (can’t remember if they were home or away), and they sat him down when they left the pitcher in to bunt. He sits down from getting hot because the plan was to keep the previous pitcher in to lay down a sacrifice. Then they tacked on a bunch of runs and it was a blow out. Davy removed the pitcher and brought in Kelly. But he had warmed up, then sat for the long half inning, then had to come in cold.

Then he immediately gets hammered for a home run. He wasn’t mad because he was pitching in a blow out. He was mad because he was up, down, then back up. It’s a good way to get hurt.

I’ve never been a big proponent of Davey. They would have been justified in firing him in 2019. But what he did that summer and fall was amazing and gives him the benefit of the doubt with me. Appears to keep the clubhouse together (which is easier said than done), but man, the bullpen stuff he does drives me crazy.  He got a lot of criticism online about using Thompson for three innings the other week. I loved that move. Didn’t like bringing him back two days later though. Definitely don’t like pitching Finnegan and Harvey three days in a row.

Most every manager in the history of baseball struggles with pen management so it's not a big deal to me. We probably won't agree there, and that's fine. You're one of the more reasonable Nats posters here so I respect your opinion and see your point too.

I've been a bigger defender of Davey and his staff than most, especially Hickey. And like you said, keeping a locker room together in losing streaks and seasons is NOT easy. Remember all those anonymous reports to the Post? Those have pretty much stopped, as have those dumb "bad clubhouse" critiques. And, we are definitely over achieving and improving, so I think he's doing a better job than he gets credit for, but again, that's opinion and no way verifiable. I also think he's a better in game manager than Baker or Johnson.

That being said, Gore and Gray need to give some length!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

The C stands for "Clutch"

It’s kind of hard to remember that he’s only 22. There’s a lot to like about his game. I hope they get him running more. Only five SB attempts so far.

It’s funny that their guy with the highest current Slugging typically bats 7th or 8th while the guy with the highest OBP hits 9th.

• Like 2

Lane Thomas is starting to find his power. Last year he didn't hit his 1st homer until May 4th, and he ended up hitting 17. 

The key for Garcia, Ruiz, and Abrams is to not chase. If they can not chase **** pitches, all three will be very good hitters

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Lane Thomas is starting to find his power. Last year he didn't hit his 1st homer until May 4th, and he ended up hitting 17. 

The key for Garcia, Ruiz, and Abrams is to not chase. If they can not chase **** pitches, all three will be very good hitters

I think the key is to take a struggling position player and let him mop up in relief.  Then they remember how to hit.  Worked for Thomas! Kill two birds with one stone. 😂

• Like 1

Potential No. 1 overall pick dominates with 15-K performance

LSU's Skenes stacks up strikeouts in latest eye-popping start

There's a reason MLB Pipeline's Jim Callis has called LSU right-hander Paul Skenes the best collegiate pitching prospect since Stephen Strasburg more than a decade ago. And if anyone needed any more convincing, Skenes obliged with a masterpiece against Auburn on Friday night at Plainsman Park.

The 6-foot-6, 235-pound Skenes was absolutely overpowering in LSU's 3-0 victory, striking out a career-high 15 batters over 7 1/3 innings while yielding six hits and walking one on 110 pitches. The 20-year-old junior is the No. 2 overall Draft prospect per MLB Pipeline, and after his incredible outing Friday, his season stats are even more eye-popping.

In 12 starts this season, Skenes has given up only 14 earned runs over 72 2/3 innings (1.73 ERA) while striking out 139 and walking 13.

https://www.mlb.com/news/lsu-paul-skenes-strikes-out-season-high-15-batters

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 5/4/2023 at 8:12 PM, Ball Security said:

Wut?

Has anybody heard what this was about?  What "equipment" is there at 2nd base other than the base itself?

My guess is the slot the base gets inserted into got misaligned or damaged.  Only thing I could think of...

Edited by Dan T.

Another quality start by Gore tonight. Six innings, two ERs, nine k’s.  Battled out of a jam in the sixth.

I follow games on the MLB app. The radio is usually a few seconds behind. Saw that there was a 1-3, then an injury delay. I turned the audio on and listened to the play. Gore hopped off the mound toward third base, fielded it, and threw out the runner. The radio broadcast complimented the play and then said “oh, no.” The trainers came out to with Davey to look at Gore.  But he waved them off. Then stranded runners on second and third.  

Get Skenes and we have a ‘90s Braves rotation. 

• Like 1