Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philly Inquirer: Why the blood of a 1955 Mississippi murder drenches today’s U.S. Senate race

No Excuses

Part of the reason I started this thread was to have a conversation on how racism in the South and it’s justicification and acceptance in the conservative movement really hasn’t changed much for almost a century at this point.

Here is a good example of how conservatives frame liberals when challenged on racist ideologies:

Cindy Hyde-Smith is campaigning like your typical early 1900s segregationist. Not much has changed in the American south.

3 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Part of the reason I started this thread was to have a conversation on how racism in the South and it’s justicification and acceptance in the conservative movement really hasn’t changed much for almost a century at this point.

Hmm.. So what do we do about it?  Can we make the argument that the situation has changed now that corporate America is drawing a line with it and a lot of candidates that went this route got creamed in midterm?  Should we feel the same way if Hyde loses this election?  

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/11/ron-perlman-boycott-georgia-film-production-election-abrams-kemp-1202021988/

Ron Perlman and More Boycott Georgia Film and TV Production Over Election Results

"If you choose to shoot movies and TV in Georgia, don’t bother to call me," Perlman announced on social media.

I am ambivalent to the corporate boycotts because ultimately they will mostly hurt the financially poor in these areas the most and I doubt they bring about political change. This happened in places like Indiana and North Carolina in response to bathroom bills and the local politics barely changed. People don’t become less racist or bigoted because corporation X refused to do business in their state.

These are generational issues and I don’t think they are solved until youth actively break away from the bigoted views passed down from their elders. To do this, there needs to be a reframing of this issue as one of political terrorism. When you see the GOP conducting voter suppression campaigns, people should be able to put these efforts into the right historical context. 

Actively supporting an an organization like the ACLU that has been challenging bogus GOP voter suppression also helps.

Most of all, a new VRA at the federal level. This is ultimately about building a stronger democracy and that will not happen until we have laws on the books that actually support this. 

I am torn on the boycotts, on the one hand you make a stand against the institutional bull**** in these places, on the other you funnel hundreds of people in, thousands/millions of dollars along with the exposure to "others", other people, other views, other opinions that does undermine a lot of the ignorance and bigotry on a grassroots level.

Also, growth of the entertainment industry in Georgia has played a major role in pushing it towards becoming a swing state. It seems really counterintuitive to reverse course on the demographic change because you’re upset with something that has been going on for centuries at this point. 

IMO modernizing the Southern economy with jobs for well educated people is good for the long term health of the region and it’s politics. 

4 hours ago, No Excuses said:

I am ambivalent to the corporate boycotts because ultimately they will mostly hurt the financially poor in these areas the most and I doubt they bring about political change. This happened in places like Indiana and North Carolina in response to bathroom bills and the local politics barely changed. People don’t become less racist or bigoted because corporation X refused to do business in their state.

Did you read the first article?  Walmart isn't going after the state, they are going after the candidate.  If entities like Koch Brothers get to the same line and say comments like Hyde lose financial support for their campaign, believe candidates will start to afraid to do it. 

Think boycotting the state only brings attention to the issue we already know about, so not good enough.  But thats what are some are limited to so not going to knock them for doing that.

I don't believe you can rid of racism, but you can change the influence it has on our politics and laws with ideas like equal protection under the law and enforcing it.  VRA needs teeth.

Think you are underestimating how youth views race compared to generation in power, most millennials and gen z see right thru this ****.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Think you are underestimating how youth views race compared to generation in power, most millennials and gen z see right thru this ****.

There is extensive brain drain in a lot of Southern states. Young people who know better get the hell out. IMO, my post earlier was more in response to people like Ron Pearlman who are threatening a boycott of industries in the South.

Should be doing the opposite. Fundamentally changing the nature of the electorate is how you shift the electoral priorities in these states. Look at what happened in Texas this year for instance. Texas GOP is non-existent in major cities and their suburbs. 

You are right that millennials and gen-z see through this ****. Economic modernization and social progress pretty much go hand in hand today.

Whites in the South are still hung up on black suppression because when the Civil War ended and the slaves were freed, there was a larger population of blacks than whites, and the whites were afraid that they'd be killed by the blacks. Read about the background behind states being permitted to have militias inherent in the creation of the Second Amendment. 

Thus, the culture is to supress the black vote so that whites will never be "ruled" by blacks. 

This culture shouldn't remain, and I hope like hell that this and healthcare are the biggest issues before 2020. Oh, and House investigations of the corrupt Trump administration.

Archived