Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will the passing yards record be broken in 2018?

Tsailand

Five out of the 20 highest all time first-four-games passing yards totals have come this year.  Highlighted orange below.

Highlighted yellow are the first four games of Peyton Manning's record setting season. 

Perhaps the rules changes to protect passers have gone too far...

image.png.bd1e8833e6608f55059940a40ac12882.png

source: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=1950&year_max=2018&season_start=1&season_end=-1&pos=0&game_type=R&career_game_num_min=1&career_game_num_max=400&game_num_min=1&game_num_max=4&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&c1stat=pass_yds&c1comp=gt&c1val=1200&c5val=1.0&order_by=pass_yds

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:30 PM, TryTheBeal! said:

Man, Bledsoe was slinging it all over the yard back in 94.

Still remember watching a game that season where he had 70 pass attempts in an OT win against the Vikings. That is still the record for most attempts in a game. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It was surprising to me to see the vast majority of those top 20 passing yard seasons coming when the QBs are in their 30s.  Of the top 7, the youngest QB was age 32.  Dan Marino's season was so epic, considering his age, and the fact that he did it in 1984.  All the others on that list are 2011 or later.  I guess I never put his season in the proper perspective until just now.

Archived