Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who had the post about the three year plan?

Ignatius J.

I don't remember which post it was, but some posters were arguring (maybe it was a jets fan?) about coaching records of prominent coaches.

Many pointed out vermiel, gibbs, and several other coaches who took three years to get thier teams together.

The other poster pointed out that there was no reasonable reason to wait that long given the success of parcells and fox this year......

Maybe it was too soon to gloat......

-DB

Uh. That would be me. I've been harping on it since last year.

This year was all about tuning up the offense. Next year will we will be scoring points AND stopping other teams from scoring against us. Watch and learn grasshopper as this team takes flight next year. :D

I don't remember which post it was, but some posters were arguing (maybe it was a jets fan?) about coaching records of prominent coaches.

Many pointed out vermiel, gibbs, and several other coaches who took three years to get their teams together.

:thumbsup: that would have been me Dude.

Well at least I was the one who originally posted the list of HOF coaches showing many took three plus years to build a winner. Then I was called out, being label a Blasphemer by someone :rolleyes:

Originally posted by bubba9497

Well at least I was the one who originally posted the list of HOF coaches showing many took three plus years to build a winner. Then I was called out, being label a Blasphemer by someone :rolleyes:

I guess it's true. Great minds do think alike. :laugh:

As I recall there are two three year plans here. Spurriers, which is obviously ending it's 2nd year, but interestingly Snyder's, which is arguably in it's first year. Remember all the interviews and articles about Snyder after the ransacking of the Jets roster? He kept stating that the goal was to sign these younger guys who would compliment our existing younger guys while their contracts, including Redskins holdovers, would put this team on a three year shot for the big time, aka, Super Bowl, SB run.....

The thing that kicked us in the butt this year that wasn't really expected was the massive drop in performance by the defense. I think we all figured we would lose some impact but not to the extent of what happened and the ineffective nature of some of Edwards play calls.

I think the impact will be by the defense more then the Offense next year.

We shall see.

Originally posted by bubba9497

Yeah now I remember ......... blasphemy...... blasphemy.... I think it was ParkCitySkins who called you a blasphemer. :paranoid::laugh:

Originally posted by Mad Mike

I guess it's true. Great minds do think alike.

I didn't know Bubba and Mad Mike both read Mad magazine? :laugh:

Originally posted by DrunkenBoxer

so who was the guy who said spurrier should have been succesful by now, citing parcells and fox?

(By the way I've been on the three year bandwagon for a while now)

-DB

I mentioned Fox and Parcells as guys that were able to have an immediate impact on their teams.

Fox took a 1-15 team to 7-9 in his first year, and is now 8-5 with a 2 game lead on his division. I also mentioned Parcells because he took the 2-14 Pats to the playoffs in 2 years, 1-15 Jets to the AFC Champ game in 2 years; and has the Cowboys at 8-5 in 1 year after 3 consecutive years of 5-11.

The point wasn't that 3 years is too long, but that if it is going to take 3 years, improvement should be seen immediately. I'm pretty sure that nothing that happened yesterday changes the immediate impact that either coach has had on the crap teams they inherited.

The key is that Parcells and Vermeil had "the plan" in their portfolio. They knew the plan worked, and they knew it would take three years to see results. The Cowboy's young team has bought Parcells plan hook..line...and sinker, which they should, and are now only faltering because of a lack of talent at the RB position and the curse of a young QB. Once those things are addressed, Parcell's plan will get them deep into the playoffs.

Same w/ Vermeil... his plan takes hold the same way. Their offense is scary, the defense is much improved, and their challenging for the top seed in the playoffs.

Spurrier had no NFL "surebet plan" to rely on. His plan worked wonderfully in college... but we all know there has been an adjustment to the NFL game. He's had to formulate one, coupled with the F.O. personnel moves, to see the results. That takes longer than a year.

I fully expect the team to play well and disciplined next year. If not, it may very well be the beginning of the end of Spurrier's tenure in the spring of 2006.

Well the vermeil plan almost didnt work in St louis.

A chance signing of Faulk and lightning in a bottle call K Warner erased the previous seasons of a cheap lousy ownership under georgia (vegas showgirl) rosenbloom and bad picks like the nebraska woman beater

The Cowboys team was hungry; they were tired of losing, and ready to listen to Parcells. It helps that Parcells has so much NFL success and experience- success to impress the players and command respect, and experience to know how to deal with them immediately. Spurrier has to gain those things.

The comparison that should be made is with coaches who came from outside the NFL, I believe. Spurrier seems to be learning from mistakes; we all hope so. That was to be the one big question to me, would Spurrier be too egotistical to learn from mistakes... and it has seemed that he can learn from them.

I was also one who was constantly posting to give him 3 years, and by the way, the most prominent person to say he needed 3 years was Spurrier himself. So yes, we should undoubtedly give him 3 years (he said 3, not 7, not 5... a pretty reasonable number if you ask me). Let's see what happens next year.

As an aside, if we end up losing big next year, as long as our FO doesn't blow up the team for the next two offseasons, we (I believe) would be in a position where a good NFL coach could take us very far- the team, like the Cowboys this year, will be ready to win and do what it takes to win, I would hope. But who knows.

The real proof is upcoming. Yesterday reestablished what many of us already knew- Philadelphia remains the team to beat. It would be a great sign to be competitive against Philly. Goes without saying we'd all like to beat Dallas (doable) and Philly (less doable than Dallas, but still doable). As long as we're competitive against Philly I'd say we're on the right track for sure.

What's telling is that we have had Cowboy and Eagle fans on this board telling us that despite our record, we have been playing better ball over the second half of the season. I agree. It's obvious that the Redskins have not given up and have shown faith in their coach. That's a good sign for next year and shouldn't be dismissed lightly.

I'm for giving the man one more year to show some more progress. If we are still hovering around 7-9 after 2004, then I think we can say we've seen enough, but I'd give him that third year.

I agree Henry. I think Edwards should stay if the Def plays better down the stretch. People forget to notice that the Skins constantly score in the 20's. This should be enough to win most weeks if our defense didn't let down. This team in on the up and up, but if Spurrier flounders again next season then a change has to be made. Give the guy a 3 year plan like he deserves!

Archived