Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sonny's comments on news4

Griff

The Pittsburgh Steelers web site says Grimm joined them on Jan. 10, 2000, but that seems wrong as many of you have pointed out.

http://www.steelers.com/team/general.cfm?cont_id=50182

Brookboyz,

Vermeil wasn't out of the game that long at all. Remember, he was following the game. He was an announcer. Knew a young batch of players going to the pros. He was active and around the sport of football, if not the NFL, for much of the time he was not coaching.

Petitbone has not been engaged in any level. He might still know the schemes he used to know. In fact, I don't doubt he does. But, he can't possibly know the players well enough to be effective. Just as Vermeil wasn't effective for the first couple of years after he returned and he returned with the advantage of knowing the guys coming into the league.

Insert obligatory "the light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of an oncoming freight train" reference here.

The only possible light I could see would be the involvement of Joe Gibbs in our franchise, and considering he's a minority owner of the Falcons, and seems quite happy with his racing team, seems rather unlikely.

Originally posted by CrankyTodd

Insert obligatory "the light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of an oncoming freight train" reference here.

The only possible light I could see would be the involvement of Joe Gibbs in our franchise, and considering he's a minority owner of the Falcons, and seems quite happy with his racing team, seems rather unlikely.

I don't know about that the light at the end of the tunnel is an on coming freight train.

Sonny wouldn't be smiling like a kid finding his first dirty magazine if he didn't like what plan Snyder was concocting.

Although, it's fun to imagine there was some big earth shattering messiah coming, let's get back to reality.

The Danfather probably told Sonny "This was always a three year plan, next year is number three. We are a team on the verge, and we have money to spend to fill the holes for next year. Blah Blah Blah, how 'bout some racketball?"

I don't have a direct citation or anything, but I recall Petitbone himself commenting on his life after football a couple of years ago in which he said he hasn't even seen a game since he was fired or some such distance between himself and the sport.

Something to that effect.

The point remains that it's difficult to be completely out of the game for as long as Richie has been and be able to come in and make anything happen. His skill as a coach was adapting his schemes to his players. He wouldn't have the first idea what sort of players he'd have here for some time. Remember, the Skins he ran had the same players for the most part with just mild changes throughout.

There's no way he'd know the league well enough to come in and be effective. As a consultant he'd be great, because it's his knowledge of schemes that would be useful. It would take him some time to figure things out again. But, perhaps Snyder has him ready to come in and he's been studying up already. Who knows.

Art,

Consultant to Edwards was just what i had in mind. In 99, our defense improved dramatically towrds the end of the season and in the playoffs with the extra guidance of Arnsparger.

If nothing else, Petitbon ought to command enough respect w/ 3 SB rings to keep our LBs in line. If he was willing to bust Wilbur Marshall's chops, he will have enough cajones to work over Lavar and Jemima

I see where Art is coming from with his Petitbon comments, but i think it is far fetched to believe that he couldn't come in and do some film work, maybe he's already in a box somewhere in FedEx, and show up at practice to see what he has to work with. Your talking about someone that lived football except for the last ten years. Would Grimm be any worse than Helton? There is no love for Helton and Grimm has more future potential. Is Wolf a possibility? I doubt it but wouldn't mind it. Gibbs? It won't happen. Jimmy Johnson? I hope not (yet). Spurrier deserves another year. Heck, Marty might've stuck around if he hadn't been such an a-hole and pi$$ed in all the veteran's cornflakes.

Mike,

Would Grimm be worse than Helton? I don't know. I do know he HAS been worse than Helton. I also know that Helton got no credit for not only holding last year's line together with limited interior talent, but also making it a vastly improved unit to end the year. I also know that it's not the offensive line that's the real problem this year, which might point to Helton doing some stuff correct. Could Helton be upgraded? Certainly. Could Grimm be that upgrade? Potentially. But, Grimm could also be much worse. Why? Because he already has been at the same job for THIS team.

Archived