Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Emerging Technologies....They Might Have Cured Cancer….Also Leaf Blower Silencers!

PleaseBlitz

10 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

power companies don’t generate any tax revenue directly.

Oh I guess all these natural gas and coal tax revenue numbers I’m seeing are from all the people filling up their coal and natural gas powered vehicles 🙄

no one here trolls you. It’s unnecessary. You troll yourself. The rest of us are just enjoying the show. 

Just now, tshile said:

Oh I guess all these natural gas and coal tax revenue numbers I’m seeing are from all the people filling up their coal and natural gas powered vehicles 🙄

He said specifically electricity, as in power plants.

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUS166526310020111108

The oil and gas companies get the tax breaks and subsidies but don’t pay any of the taxes.

9 minutes ago, GoSkinsGo said:

From a cost / usage standpoint the lower priced EVs have very limited appeal. 

Well, look, if that’s the argument then that’s fine. 

but clearly the real range of EV prices for normal people is in that 20-40k mark. 

You’ll notice they took their inflated average and compared it to “full sized gas powered-car”

we’re they including Acura, Lexus, bmw, and any number of premium brands in their average for this gas powered car?

or did they only reasonable gas powered car average prices to obviously unreasonable electric vehicles prices?

and even if they did a fair comparison does volume factor in correctly? You can include those more expensive brands - but it says it was based on transaction amounts. Ie: actual sales. 

i have no doubt that it makes sense for gas powered vehicles, due to volume of sales, would have a low average cost; while ev vehicles (which tend to appeal to people that can afford a 60k+ vehicle) transactions would average out way higher. 

they’re playing word games. The question is are they doing it on purpose to serve an agenda, or are they just not very smart…

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

I need to call dominion and make them aware of the fact they don’t collect taxes for their products. They owe me like 13 years worth of refunds for these county and state tax line items that apparently don’t exist. 

Yes you should, or at least demand your share of the tax refunds they got.  Collect and pay aren’t the same words but you chose to rephrase. Hmm.

And in any case we shouldn’t be subsidizing natural and oil companies to the tune of 10bil annually.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

Also I agree with @GoSkinGo that EV prices need to come down still. 30-40k for a low range ev sedan is still a lot of money. But they don’t need to reach price parity with gasoline cares, as they are cheaper to operate over their life time. Probably another 5-10K is good enough, which is why the bbb rebates were in that ball park.

17 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Also I agree with @GoSkinGo that EV prices need to come down still. 30-40k for a low range ev sedan is still a lot of money. But they don’t need to reach price parity with gasoline cares, as they are cheaper to operate over their life time. Probably another 5-10K is good enough, which is why the bbb rebates were in that ball park.

I agree with you on this. The only problem I have with rebates is that the majority of people don't understand how they work. For us, if we did purchase an EV we would have needed to wait until next year to make the best of the rebates.  We would need to realign our tax strategy to make the most use of them. 

We just bought a new car last month. We wanted to get an EV but when we really looked into our use, range and our specific charging circumstances it didn't work. We leased a car for three years and we'll revisit the EV market at that time. 

I agree with you on this. The only problem I have with rebates is that the majority of people don't understand how they work. For us, if we did purchase an EV we would have needed to wait until next year to make the best of the rebates.  We would need to realign our tax strategy to make the most use of them.

Well, you could have gotten 7500 or 3250 now (assuming it was not a Tesla) or waited to see what happened with the bbb bill.  The tax rebate on an EV isn’t that complex. You buy an ev and you get a rebate, plus you get a 30 percent tax rebate on charging infrastructure. 

We just bought a new car last month. We wanted to get an EV but when we really looked into our use, range and our specific charging circumstances it didn't work. We leased a car for three years and we'll revisit the EV market at that time. 

How so? 

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Well, you could have gotten 7500 or 3250 now (assuming it was not a Tesla) or waited to see what happened with the bbb bill. 

As a credit, for this year it wouldn't have offset our taxes in a meaningful way. The credit would have been only partially redeemed. I actively manage our withholding throughout the year to reduce our payment to the government. Using the tax credit needs to be built into our yearly plan. 

3 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

How so? 

For us the biggest issue is at home charging, driving to charging stations wasn't tenable as a long term solution.

We recently moved into a townhouse community built back in the early 80s, no garages and cars are parked in a general lot in front of the houses. The charging cable can't impede the sidewalk and at this time the HOA is not sure how that will work. The cost for install would be on the homeowner (as it should) but is the homeowner going to have to pay for the sidewalk to be torn up and run in a channel or is it going to have to be sky wired somehow. 

This is not a long term house, we'll be moving in three years once my daughter finishes middle school. The ROI math didn't work for us. 

3 minutes ago, GoSkinsGo said:

As a credit, for this year it wouldn't have offset our taxes in a meaningful way. The credit would have been only partially redeemed. I actively manage our withholding throughout the year to reduce our payment to the government. Using the tax credit needs to be built into our yearly plan. 

Changing your withholding doesn’t affect how much tax you owe, it affects how much money you get back at the end of the year as a result of over payment or under payment. But I agree I’d you don’t pay 7500 in taxes then you won’t get the full advantage of the rebate. 

3 minutes ago, GoSkinsGo said:

We recently moved into a townhouse community built back in the early 80s, no garages and cars are parked in a general lot in front of the houses. The charging cable can't impede the sidewalk and at this time the HOA is not sure how that will work. The cost for install would be on the homeowner (as it should) but is the homeowner going to have to pay for the sidewalk to be torn up and run in a channel or is it going to have to be sky wired somehow. 

yea, I thought about condos just as soon as I posted.

I would think the hoa is on the hook for the infrastructure of getting power to the lot. 

how exactly power gets to a vehicle is probably a matter of dedicating an area and some sort of fee that helps make up for the setup cost for whatever spot becomes yours. 

the other option is the hoa roll the dice that not having that ability doesn’t negatively affect them. 

unfortunately they can probably decide to do nothing now and revisit later. Which doesn’t help you. 

52 minutes ago, tshile said:

I would think the hoa is on the hook for the infrastructure of getting power to the lot. 

several states have right to charge laws, but not all. Even then, you pay for it. They just have to allow you to do it, they don’t have to pay for it.

https://parkade.com/post/how-to-get-your-hoa-to-add-ev-charging-to-your-condo-building

I mean, you can ask, but if your the only one asking the response probably won’t be favorable abs probably not worth it for someone who just has a casual interest in owning a EV

52 minutes ago, tshile said:

1 hour ago, tshile said:

I would think the hoa is on the hook for the infrastructure of getting power to the lot

The HOA can’t stop you from putting a charger in, but they don’t have to provide any support and can require additional insurance. 

One couple has a Tesla and has been working with the HOA for months trying to figure it out. The only thing I know  they figured out is the resident has to carry an additional one million dollar policy in case the charger causes damage to other units or cars. Other than that nothing else had been decided. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

several states have right to charge laws, but not all. Even then, you pay for it. They just have to allow you to do it, they don’t have to pay for it.

Sorry, I didn’t mean on the hook like you can go in there demanding it because they’re required to. 

i meant on the hook from a moral/business perspective 

as someone who sat on an hoa board… this would be how I would look at it:

- this is an infrastructure issue for the entire property. Unless you’re a person that lives in denial, electric vehicles are expected to grow in market share. This is not a one time or unique situation - it’s the start of the new shift to a new normal. The problem we have is not that this one tenant has an electric vehicle and wants to run a charger. The problem is that we run a property that isn’t set up to accommodate the future which has essentially turned present. 

- (in my experience the hoa board members are community members) this is a question of quality of our community. Do we want to stay a relevant community moving forward? Do we want people having to decide whether they want to live here or not based on the fact that we cannot provide a reasonable solution to charging their vehicle? Is that what we want? I personally do not want that. I think it would be a mistake to want that. 

you don’t assign responsibility based on cost. You assign responsibility based on the specifics.

treating this as a one off case would be stupid and incredibly short sighted.  As someone who gets to watch people make penny-wise-pound-foolish arguments and decisions almost daily - this has that written all over it. 

Ps- this project is not going to be cheaper in the future. It’s going to be more expensive. If cost is your concern, then that aspect certainly needs to be factored in as well. 

Oh. Yeah. I know. I was on a good hoa board. I may not have won that argument but it would have well talked through before it was decided. 

but my personal opinion is, well, the hoa needs to find a way to provide charging to electric vehicles in their lot. And if they don’t, they will regret it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Do actual wealthy people brag on Twitter about their tax bill?  Or is it a schtick?

Elon Musk is not exactly what I'd call neuro-typical.  Then again, most big-time CEOs probably aren't.  But he's more on the Autism spectrum than the psychopath spectrum you're used to seeing CEOs on.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1