Welcome to the Redskins young man. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/josh-harvey-clemons?id=2557880

2557880.jpg

6'4"HEIGHT

35 3/8"ARM LENGTH

217LBS.WEIGHT

10 3/8"HANDS

OVERVIEW

Two suspensions for failed marijuana tests led to Harvey-Clemons' dismissal from Georgia. In the end, it may have worked out for the best as he was able to transfer to Louisville to join his defensive coordinator with the Bulldogs, Todd Grantham. His career in Athens started off well, as the number one outside linebacker recruit in the country had 14 tackles in a reserve role. He started 11 games as a sophomore at Georgia, making 66 stops and an interception on the year. He was suspended for the opener, though, due to team rules violation, as well as for the team's bowl game. Harvey-Clemons then sat out 2014 while transferring, but came out strong for the 'Ville, earning honorable mention All-ACC notice (88 tackles, two for loss, three interceptions, six pass breakups.) He was a second-team all-conference pick this fall despite missing two games due to injury (61 tackles, four for loss, two sacks).

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Rangy, long frame with exceptionally long limbs. Arm length is what offensive line coaches look for in a tackle. Plays the game with edge and embraces physical requirement of the position. First responder who races downhill into the action. Rarely taps the brakes into his tackles. Square-up, wrap-up finisher. Took on blocks with aggressiveness and leverage when asked to play inside linebacker. His long arms help cast wide net as tackler. Rare athleticism for his size. Flips hips for instant change of direction as tackler or in coverage. Excellent range as a tackler. Plays faster than his timed speed. Communicative on the field. Balances attention between quarterback's eyes and assignments around him as two-deep safety. Quick to find coverage work after diagnosing play-action from the box. Adjusts coverage responsibilities based on scrambling direction of quarterback.

*Click Link for More* 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/top-nfl-draft-prospects-louisvilles-josh-harvey-clemons-could-be-latest-eraser/amp/

Seems like a steal with big potential as a playmaker.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=123375&draftyear=2017&genpos=SS

Not the best 40 time. Maybe add some weight and play as a weak side play making linebacker.

Welcome to the Redskins Josh.

I like this pick, particularly for where he was drafted.  Knowing McCloughan's background in Seattle, and watching his cut ups, I feel like Kam Chancellor comparisons will be inevitable.  There is definitely something to them.  He's the size of a linebacker and plays the position like one.  The things that jump out at me:

- Outstanding open field tackler.  Size is really an asset for him, he was bringing down a Wayne Gallman with a head of steam without much trouble.  Just a really good wrap up and drag down form tackler.  Comfortable leaving his feet to come back and make the stop off his frame.

- Fast downhill player.  Won't sell out for the big hit, but when he gets the chance to deliver one, he generates a lot of pop.  On one of the plays he accidentally blew up his teammate who was trying to drag down the ball carrier and I felt sorry for the guy.

- Great pursuit tackler, but his angles are too sharp.  He should be trying to string ball carriers out wider like Ryan Anderson does.

- Wasn't impressed with his single high snaps.  He changes directions pretty well but his recovery speed just isn't great for a deep safety.  He plays kind of slow back there, like he's not really comfortable with the coverage responsibilities he draws.  He's a box duty safety who is much better going forward than backward.

I'm guessing that, if he were heavier, he'd be playing linebacker.  That's his natural position.  But if you can improve his coverages, this guy could be a gem.  There is good clay here to mold.  But he needs to be good and not fail any more drug tests.

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Welcome to the Redskins Josh.

I like this pick, particularly for where he was drafted.  Knowing McCloughan's background in Seattle, and watching his cut ups, I feel like Kam Chancellor comparisons will be inevitable.  There is definitely something to them.  He's the size of a linebacker and plays the position like one.  The things that jump out at me:

- Outstanding open field tackler.  Size is really an asset for him, he was bringing down a Wayne Gallman with a head of steam without much trouble.  Just a really good wrap up and drag down form tackler.  Comfortable leaving his feet to come back and make the stop off his frame.

- Fast downhill player.  Won't sell out for the big hit, but when he gets the chance to deliver one, he generates a lot of pop.  On one of the plays he accidentally blew up his teammate who was trying to drag down the ball carrier and I felt sorry for the guy.

- Great pursuit tackler, but his angles are too sharp.  He should be trying to string ball carriers out wider like Ryan Anderson does.

- Wasn't impressed with his single high snaps.  He changes directions pretty well but his recovery speed just isn't great for a deep safety.  He plays kind of slow back there, like he's not really comfortable with the coverage responsibilities he draws.  He's a box duty safety who is much better going forward than backward.

I'm guessing that, if he were heavier, he'd be playing linebacker.  That's his natural position.  But if you can improve his coverages, this guy could be a gem.  There is good clay here to mold.  But he needs to be good and not fail any more drug tests.

Saw much of the same.  Tenacious tackler not at all afraid to mix it up.  Got turned around and bit on double moves at times, but pretty rangy back there.  I came away fairly impressed with his play on the ball - tracks it well in the air and shows some nice hands.  Not sure I see him with the frame to bulk up for linebacker (maybe a weak side lb).  I suppose he could play the nickel role Cravens did.  

They put him on man coverage fairly often in the film I watched... not the best look for him, but he wasn't totally out of place there.  Lot of it was over a slot receiver, so no idea if he can press (though he's physical and willing, so who knows).  

I actually like him at safety.  Showed good speed, used his size well, played smart in his run fits (patient in breaking down and tackling).  Saw him knock his own man silly a couple of times, but still judicious with the hits (preferring to wrap up).  Lot of examples of big stops.  Surprised how few people got by him when he got his hands on them.  Adequate blitzer, though struggled a bit to get off blocks I thought.  And like I said, solid ball skills.  

He has a lot of room to grow, but he looked the part of either a free or strong safety to me.  I like him a bit more as a free, because he comes forward quickly and you can trust him to be the last line of defense.  

Just watched his tape vs. Clemson and he looked horrendous. Really hoping next level coaching can do something for this kid who hasn't figured out how to use his size and lacks hustle. He's going to need to make insane changes to his mind in order to play at the next level, but can't expect this much that late in the draft.

21 minutes ago, Rocky52Mc said:

Just watched his tape vs. Clemson and he looked horrendous. Really hoping next level coaching can do something for this kid who hasn't figured out how to use his size and lacks hustle. He's going to need to make insane changes to his mind in order to play at the next level, but can't expect this much that late in the draft.

Hmm... I counted about 6 negative plays from him - 3 bad ones and 3 'soft' negatives.  

Soft negs:

Got absolutely stuck by the back on a blitz

Blocked by a wr on a td catch and run

Missed a tackle that he could have had

Bad ones:

Bad angle on his man on (something like) a scissors route - td

Lost track of Gallman on a run up the middle (runner split the safeties) - td

Egregious pass interference - close to his man, but probably would have given up a td otherwise

On the flip side, he made a ridiculous amount of tackles.  If he got his hands on the ball carrier they almost never got away.  Saved a crap ton of yards in the process.  One nice PBU.  I supposed you could ding him for almost taking a teammate out of the game, but I kinda liked seeing the big hit because it showed 1) that he could/would do so, and 2) that he's smart enough to not go for the big hit the vast majority of the time.  

Overall, I can see why they'd think he'd fit as a dime backer (at least initially)... total stud of a tackler.  Even though he has the range (and hands) for coverage he needs work there.  Clemson was not a great game for him, but he definitely showcased his tackling.  I'd like to see him work on getting off blocks too.  This is one reason I like him at safety rather than backer.  

If he can stay clean, this kid's got a career ahead of him.  Lot of upside with this pick.  I'm thinking he's got a good shot at becoming a special teams ace and a contributor on defensive.  Much like Cravens, I'm not sure linebacker is his best fit, but I do think he can make an impact there.  

I think he tested slow on his pro day.

Game speed is quicker. He probably lost some development with the off field and transfer issues, etc. but I think he's perfect for that Hybrid spot. Hopefully he can thicken up and be taught up a bit more, so his skill gets closer to meeting his potential.

Archived