• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

For the first time in over 17 years, André 3000 is releasing an album of new music. New Blue Sun – announced today and set to be released this Friday, Nov. 17 – is a stunning 87-minute mind-bender, minimalist and experimental, tribal and transcendent. 

One thing it is not, however, is a rap record: No bars, no beats, no sub-bass. André doesn't sing on this joint, either. What he does do is play flute, and plenty of it — contrabass flute, Mayan flutes, bamboo flutes — along with other digital wind instruments. In place of lyrics, he offers eight provocative song titles, the first of which almost reads like a lowkey apology, with a wink of irony: "I swear, I Really Wanted To Make A 'Rap' Album But This Is Literally The Way The Wind Blew Me This Time."

He coming out with a flute record. What is this ****

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Hip Hop has evolved, it's allowed to do that.

Evolved to what, exactly?  Hip Hop today, is NOTHING like the Hip Hop we grew up on.  It seems like the dumbest artists are pushed to the forefront now, to the point that all you ever hear on the radio is the same beat, with the same messages about bling, lean, etc.  I'm not even going to get started on what female rap has devolved into the last 5-10 years.  The biggest difference in Hip Hop today and Hip Hop 10+ years ago is the balance.  For every Cardi B or Nicki Minaj, there was a Missy Elliot, for every Lil Wayne or Future or insert any bling/drug rapper, there was Mos Def, or Nas or The Roots or even Kanye (Pre-Kim K) on the radio to even things out.  Those days are long gone, and labels have pretty much taken out the conscious/introspective rap artists out of the mainstream, and replaced them with the thuggish, dumber rappers who promote drugs, clapping back at "opps" and popping bottles. 

Hip Hop is not in a good place at all.  It hasn't been for a while, and the numbers are starting to bear that out.  Not many people realize this, but until October, there wasn't a #1 song or album on the Billboard charts:

https://www.billboard.com/music/rb-hip-hop/hip-hop-no-number-one-albums-singles-charts-reasons-why-1235350404/

That's the first time since 1993 that there was no #1 Hip Hop song or album on the charts that late into the year.  Drake finally broke that streak with his last album, but that's incredible that it took until the Fall for their to be a #1 hip hop song/album on the charts.  I think younger people are tuning out Hip Hop, and finding other genres/artists to listen to.

Edited by samy316

@samy316

Listen to how many commercials are using hip hop beats now.

How many children's videos on youtube now are using hip hop, Snoop Dog has a youtube channel, Gracies Corner is fire, my toddler daughters love it.

How much Electronica and Country have either absorbed concepts and grown appearances from Hop hop artists?

Kane Brown is an example of this evolution, something the gate keeping would've never allowed 20+ years ago is artists that are frankly good at multiple genres.  What he, Drake, and even Nicki Minaj are doing is great for music in general.

Hip Hip is now international with dictatorships like China and Russia trying to crackdown on it for speaking to the same struggles we did when we first invented hip hop.  That's not dead, but our artist have no right to say what hip hop should be if they ignore the struggles artists are going through in other countries. 

Jus because a song that I wish we on our radio today isn't in English or from this country and thus not, does NOT make it any less important to overall genre and vision of Hip Hop. Expressing oneself is happening here speaking to struggles of the world is happening all over the world.

Hip Hop is no longer an American only genre, it's also incredibly easy for anyone to get into now, so if they do have talent youtube or SoundCloud will find them even if the record labels and radio dont.

When I'm studying and listening to either lofi hip hop or covers with classical instruments, it's obvious to me the Hip Hop is the Jazz of the 21st Century.  It's flexibility and international multicultural appeal is necessary for its longevity. 

Whens last time a jazz song was in the billboard 100?  Would we have Hip Hop without Jazz?  There's so much that many people haven't even heard yet from the time period many of us reminisce about to say we should be in pain because we aren't adding to it. 

While I can enjoy that musical journey one dive at a time on say pandora or youtube, the people in general have spoken, they don't want blackthought or neosoul right now.  That period had their run like many other subgenres in and outside of Hip Hop.

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I've never been able to take this dude seriously.  

Seriously as what? A gangsta rapper.

If we keep judging fish by whether they climb a tree we'll never respect them.

Edited by Renegade7

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

Way to put words into my mouth that I never said.  

Seriously as a human being.  

He's such the typically easy target that I'm afraid to even ask why anymore.

If that's not the angle you were coming from, okay, it's almost cliche to say what your saying now.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

He's such the typically easy target that I'm afraid to even ask why anymore.

If that's not the angle you were coming from, okay, it's almost cliche to say what your saying now.

He's only an easy target because he's funny looking.

I don't listen to much hip hop anymore and when I do, I usually stick to what I grew up listening to.  I don't think there's anyone recent outside of maybe Kendrick Lamar that I listen to right now and I don't even listen to him that much.  The Drake songs that I've heard aren't anything I'd care to listen to again.  To double check, I just put on Hotline Bling and didn't last past the first couple minutes.

It doesn't have anything to do with being a "gangsta rapper" and even though I don't have my ear to the ground with the genre like I used to, that's a phrase that I've only heard my mom use in the past 15 years or so.  I can see why his music is catchy, but it doesn't catch my ear.  And I can see the girl on the video said what she said, commercial, fun, entertaining, formulaic.  There's nothing really wrong with that.

There's also nothing really wrong with not preferring it, either.

Anyway, if you're curious, the good people at TMZ put up a poll to see if Drake's music is considered hip-hop.  58% of the people have said no.

https://www.tmz.com/2024/01/16/drake-hits-back-yasiin-bey-mos-def-umi-says-lyrics-target-shopping/

But in the end, I'm also not sure why it really matters what his music is considered, it doesn't take away from the fact that a lot of people enjoy it and he's made a **** ton of money.

• Like 1