Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: West African bloc vows Gambia intervention at midnight

visionary

https://apnews.com/213d1ae23c6f4c4bb448efe42f637a42?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

West African bloc vows Gambia intervention at midnight

A military commander with West Africa's regional bloc says its forces will "take action" at midnight unless a solution is found to Gambia's political crisis before then.

Speaking on Senegalese radio station RFM, Seydou Maiga Mboro declared that "all the troops are already in place" awaiting the deadline for President Yahya Jammeh to step down.

Witnesses in Senegal have reported seeing troops making their way toward Gambia's borders.

Jammeh has refused to cede power after 22 years at the helm despite losing the Dec. 1 election to Adama Barrow.

The president-elect has vowed to go ahead with his inauguration anyway on Thursday, and ECOWAS, the regional bloc, has vowed to use military force if necessary to remove him.

Jammeh seized power of Gambia in a 1994 coup

The president elect is not in Gambia for safety precautions. Sadly, a few days ago he had to miss the funeral of his 7 year old son who was mauled and killed by a dog in Gambia

I find it _________ (funny? odd? ironic? .. not sure of the best word) that this "West African bloc" seems so ready to show off their military bluster against push over Gambia's 900 troops but let other atrocities go unchecked. Has the AU been disbanned? The old President's cabinet have mostly vanished so I dont think there will be much push back. 

19 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I find it _________ (funny? odd? ironic? .. not sure of the best word) that this "West African bloc" seems so ready to show off their military bluster against push over Gambia's 900 troops but let other atrocities go unchecked. Has the AU been disbanned? The old President's cabinet have mostly vanished so I dont think there will be much push back. 

I think there has been cooperation and joint intervention by a few countries on some fronts recently, for instance against Shabab and Boko Haram.  But it is interesting that there is such intense focus on Gambia.  I don't know a lot about the situation, but it reminds me a bit of what happened in the Ivory Coast a few years back.

The Gambia is a very small and narrow country whose borders mirror the meandering Gambia River. It lies between latitudes 13 and 14°N, and longitudes 13 and 17°W.

The Gambia is less than 50 kilometres (31 miles) wide at its widest point, with a total area of 11,295 km2 (4,361 sq mi). About 1,300 square kilometres (500 square miles) (11.5%) of the Gambia's area is covered by water. It is the smallest country on the African mainland. In comparative terms, the Gambia has a total area slightly less than that of the island of Jamaica.

Senegal surrounds the Gambia on three sides, with 80 km (50 mi) of coastline on the Atlantic Ocean marking its western extremity.[24]

:table2:

So it's after midnight.  I guess they didn't follow through on their threat:

Gambia's President Jammeh refuses to leave office as deadline passes

Gambian President Yahya Jammeh is refusing to step down despite efforts to persuade him to leave office ahead of a deadline set by Senegal.

Senegalese troops remain stationed at the Gambian border, as the deadline for Mr Jammeh to stand down passed at midnight.

Click on the link for the full article

Mauritanian President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz flew to Senegal to meet with President Macky Sall after last-ditch talks in Gambia aimed at resolving a crisis over the transfer of power, a Senegalese presidential source told Reuters on Thursday.

Aziz left Gambia shortly before midnight, when Gambian leader Yahya Jammeh's presidential mandate expired.

After the talks, Aziz's plane left Dakar at about 1:45 a.m.(0145 GMT), a Reuters witness saw. Aziz had been talking with Barrow and Sall at the airport in Dakar. About 30 vehicles with tinted windows then sped away from where the talks took place.

Archived