Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Turning the Tide in the Panthers & Redskins History

TD_washingtonredskins

Carolina has beaten us 4 straight times dating back to 2009. In fact, after starting the series 6-0, the Redskins have now dropped 5 of 6 to the Panthers. We have some exciting wins:

1997: Opening day win on the road. We were hoping to be legit and they were coming off an appearance in the NFC Championship game. We outplayed them all day and Terry Allen looked great!

1999: We fell behind 21-0 thanks to Tim Biakabutuka's 100+ yards and 3 TDs in the first quarter!!! We battled back and won a crazy one with a late Brett Conway FG. 

2001: Again, the Redskins were down early to a bad team but Lavar's pick-6 turned this game around. Rod Gardner introduced himself to the league with a couple long catches (one TD and one to set up the game-winning FG). 

However, the past few games haven't really felt too competitive. They pretty easily handled RGIII back in 2012 and, after an unfortunate penalty nullified a pick-6, rolled over us last year. 

It's time to reclaim our dominance over our southern little brother. 

We should have won that game in 2009. Started the game off 17-0 IIRC. That was when we still had zorno the clown though, and Jason Campbell at QB. 

However, didn't we beat them in overtime in our house in 2005 or 2006? Like 36-30? Or was that another team?

Never mind, that was the Jaguars we beat in overtime...

They played well against Rivers and the Chargers, but that's a tough travel game for the battered Chargers. The panthers defense is a shell of last year, and Kirk can certainly have a day against them. Cam Newton is still an incredible athlete, but due to poor play by OL, he hasn't been nearly as good this year. In the last 5 games, his comp. % is around 43%. This is a game that we can definitely win to keep our postseason hopes alive 

4 hours ago, DC9 said:

I'm bringing my son to this game if I can find some reasonable tickets.

It's going to be his first game ever.  And we're going to win.

There are TONS of tickets in the club level on Stubhub for under 100 per, including fees......heck, even under 80 (cheapest club is even under 60).  Given the temps on Monday (high of 34), club might be the way to go with your son.

9 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

There are TONS of tickets in the club level on Stubhub for under 100 per, including fees......heck, even under 80 (cheapest club is even under 60).  Given the temps on Monday (high of 34), club might be the way to go with your son.

Yep, we already took care of it this afternoon. :)

Thanks!  Best Christmas present ever to be able to take him to a game.

I already dumped my tix for the year cause I didn't know I was going to be home this quick.  So I'm stoked for the opportunity.

6 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

However, the past few games haven't really felt too competitive. They pretty easily handled RGIII back in 2012 and, after an unfortunate penalty nullified a pick-6, rolled over us last year. 

It's time to reclaim our dominance over our southern little brother. 

They've been pretty good on defense under Fox and Rivera and we haven't really excelled at beating those types of teams that have even a decent offense. 

This is the kind of game where we'll need to be perfect, because despite the records they have an elite QB who can make **** happen and they have a front seven that can cause us some problems.

I think we'll see Norman have his best game and I think he's going to have a score on defense.  Cam is as arrogant as he is good.  He'll test Norman and Norman will make him pay.

We're going to have to turn Cousins loose on a night like this to see victory in the end.

2 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

Me and the wife heading up to see this one. Living in South Carolina it will be sweet to come home with the W. Panthers fans are super fair weather so I havn't heard much from them this season luckily.

They were awful last year (I was in North Carolina).  This year it was really weird, the most diehard ones would come up to me and talk Redskins in the form of "We," and I would give them those Groucho Marx eyebrows....

3 minutes ago, DC9 said:

They were awful last year (I was in North Carolina).  This year it was really weird, the most diehard ones would come up to me and talk Redskins in the form of "We," and I would give them those Groucho Marx eyebrows....

Awful indeed. Like any fan base there are exceptions. However even the ones that seemed legit I couldn't hold a legitimate football conversation with because I would reference other players or games around the league and it would always turn back to "Luke Kuechly and Cam Newton". Its like their football database only held memory for 2015 Carolina Panthers and even then I could tell them more about their roster than they could. 

That came off snobby, but I guess bitter is more appropriate, I just felt like they didn't "deserve" a 15-1 season as a fan-base.

1 minute ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

Awful indeed. Like any fan base there are exceptions. However even the ones that seemed legit I couldn't hold a legitimate football conversation with because I would reference other players or games around the league and it would always turn back to "Luke Kuechly and Cam Newton". Its like their football database only held memory for 2015 Carolina Panthers and even then I could tell them more about their roster than they could. 

That came off snobby, but I guess bitter is more appropriate, I just felt like they didn't "deserve" a 15-1 season as a fan-base.

To be fair in my experience SC is more about college football and North Carolina can't wait for college basketball.

Rare is it to find a true NFL fan down that way that's a born and bred local.

Just now, DC9 said:

To be fair in my experience SC is more about college football and North Carolina can't wait for college basketball.

Rare is it to find a true NFL fan down that way that's a born and bred local.

I'm in my late 20's and went to high-school down here. College ball is definitely more popular (damn tigers). But there is a solid (in numbers lol) young generation of panthers fans here.

1 hour ago, Hail4Life said:

The Panthers will look like the 2015 Panthers against us.  However, as they always do this year...Skins will hang in there and it will be close!

It's odd to understand the Panthers...until they got blown out by Seattle (many teams have been there), their previous 4 losses were all by a FG. That's not exactly a horrible indictment of a team. In some ways, after going 15-1 last year, it's probably just more a regression to the mean. Now, they've had some bad losses too (Seattle, Minnesota, and Atlanta). 

Archived