Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-2017 NFL Gameday Thread

ExoDus84

24 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Okay, just going by this analogy that doesn't work really well anyway, but how trollish is it to only talk about Hawkings when he said 2+2 = 5 while remaining quiet during everything else he's done that's been brilliant? 

You don't see a problem with that? 

Something pretty amazing happened in the biggest game of the year. The most remarkable part of it was the baffling coaching decision(s). Someone drew a parallel between the general mindset of those decisions and how our offenses have been called in recent years. I tend to agree with that observation myself. A discussion of

the need to avoid that kind of thinking for our team seemed pretty reasonable.

I don't recall any threads on this board about what great jobs other teams' Offensive Coordinators are doing. I don't remember ones for Josh McDaniels,  Darrell Bevell, Adam Gase, Hue Jackson or Mike Shula, so I guess I don't find it very interesting that there weren't any for Kyle Shanahan. 

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

I don't recall any threads on this board about what great jobs other teams' Offensive Coordinators are doing. I don't remember ones for Josh McDaniels,  Darrell Bevell, Adam Gase, Hue Jackson or Mike Shula, so I guess I don't find it very interesting that there weren't any for Kyle Shanahan. 

Except, those guys don't get "...see, I was right all along about him" type arrogance directed their way, while omitting everything else they've done that's been brilliant up to that point. Or how many times they did get the call right. 

Furthermore, no one is making threads about their idiocy, either. 

And, actually, people here can get obsessed with some of those guys when they have success. The desire for Bevell was a constant here, have you forgotten that? 

Come on, Rufus, you really think it's just honest, sincere discussion about Kyle and there isn't anything else behind it? 

Well, obviously you do. Sorry, man, these arguments aren't changing my stance at all - not that you care.

To me, it's clear some have an unhealthy desire to be proven right and just need to let it go when it comes to Kyle. You can call me crazy, but it's incredibly obvious to me. It's some weird, obsessive ****. 

Don't feel like quoting everybody...

Kyle is my dude, but he messed up. Plain and simple...

I think Belichick and Gibbs should be given equal credit for what they've done. Gibbs won with three different QBs, but he didn't do it during the free agency era.

With Belichick, he's turned that team over so many times since 2001. Yes, Brady is the one constant, but that's when you look at what he's done without Brady. Off the top of my head, he's 14-6... That's pretty impressive to have that record without your star QB.

Both are easily top five coaches and in my mind, they're probably one and two.

Yeah, lots of posters floated Bevell as a HC candidate when we had an opening. Not sure what that has to do with anything.

And I've read the OP in that thread and it was exactly as I described it above. here are probably some people who are interested in an "I told you so" but so what? It was maybe a week earlier posters were calling others out for being so dumb that they wanted Kyle gone. The guy was a coach here for 4 years. He was once basically considered Head Coach in waiting and then was fired from here.

For myself, and many others, I suspect, it was interesting because it seemed an extension of his tenure here. A great architect of offense, creative, innovative. And then, situationally, often his own worst enemy by outthinking himself. Trying to get clever when simplicity is called for.

You're the one who brought up other coaches not being mentioned like Kyle, so yeah, it's absolutely relevant. You're clearly forgetting how much talk about Bevell there was. It wasn't just "floating his name". Not even close. 

And, yeah, there is absolutely an element of "I told you so" and that's my entire point. "So what" you ask? It's friggin weird. What the hell is anyone telling? The guy has done way more right than wrong, so what kind of vindication is that? Who is anyone kidding with that ****? :ols: 

"Often his own worst enemy". How often does that have to be when he's still coordinating the number one offense in the league with his side of the ball leading his team to the Super Bowl. Is it truly "often", have you followed him the entire time? And, if so... man, he must be even more of an offensive genius than most think considering he's overcoming this blatant stupidity he "often" gets himself into. 

I think you're making me have even more respect for his coaching abilities. :P 

Don't get me wrong, I agree that it was likely a mistake and he probably got too cute, but I can't be 100% on that. Who knows what logic there was behind it. We might be surprised to find out there was more to it and it was reasonable. 

So you noticed an extremely small minority calling others out for being so dumb for wanting him gone. Do you think that's even close to the amount of vitriol directed towards Kyle here? How about last season when the Falcons struggled down the stretch in comparison? 

If you think that is wrong, and I agree, then the other is wrong just the same but with way more persistence and more posts. It's not close. The dude was and is butchered on this board like most coaches that come here. It's what we do. :ols: 

And the idea that wanting Kyle gone being foolish... that'd actually be a normal result of normal thinking when one sees someone having a crazy amount of success elsewhere, wouldn't it? I mean, shouldn't Browns' fans think that about Belichick? Aren't we bothered when any player of ours goes on to have success elsewhere? That's normal. It doesn't even have to be wild success. 

I'd like to think it would've been pretty cool had we been able to retain Kyle here along with McVay under Gruden. Is that even debatable? 

How is this difficult? The guy is doing some big time things in the NFL and only NOW he's being discussed here a bunch? How is that not indicative of what I'm talking about and what @Spaceman Spiff noticed as well? 

You're acting like it's just some interesting little topic with no hidden agendas, everyone recognizes Kyle as really good but just wanted to discuss this one mistake. No one is bringing their histories into this and reveling in his failure right now, so petty-like. 

Please, I'm not buying what you're selling Rufus. I'm sorry. It's pretty damn obvious the guy is being trolled by some super vindictive Skins fans. This isn't the first time, either. It's happened a ton. You seem to only notice one side of it by bringing up the few that called others out for being "dumb" while justifying everything else that's been directed his way here for years. 

I hate myself for adding to this, talking about the Shanahan's here is just the absolute worst. You can have the last word, brother. 

No, actually you keep saying it's weird that there hasn't been more positive tok about Kyle and I said I haven't seen people starting positive threads about any other OCs either. Saying people liked Darrell Bevell for the HC opening couldn't be less relevant.

I've said throughout, multiple times, in fact, that Kyle is great and designing and running offenses, but that I've seen him mess up situational football. Telling me how great his stats have been couldn't be doing less to rebut what I've said.

And I'm not going to be guessing at people's thoughts or motivations. One of the long-time posters here the other day told me and others that we meant something completely different than what we were saying. I found that about as pathetic and disrespectful as anything I've dealt with here. So I'm not going to be talking aout what anyone else "meant" or finding hidden agendas. 

Seems a pretty natural thing thing to me that when someone makes the same, repeated mistakes he made in Washington, in the biggest game of the year, that Redskins fans would equate and talk about it. 

It's the SB. All most any football fan has been talking about the start of this week. I don't see it so much 'weird' or 'trolling' at the timing as just a natural topic of discussion on the biggest game in American sports so fresh in the memory. Conversely if Atlanta had won the SB, and someone had put a positive thread up about how great he was and we'd made a mistake not retaining him/ should be looking at bringing him back at any cost et all, I would of taken that as the natural SB related discussion. Even if I would of disagreed. Shrugs. 

Hail. 

I personally don't care either way over the Pats. Don't love them, don't hate them.

To their credit they have built a feared reputation amongst opponents which is part leads to teams choking on the big stage against them. I don't give toss if they run the score up on opponents. They can do what they want. They do that to demoralise teams and send a message out that under no circumstances do they let up. They let Brady rack up the numbers when teams are done so that when they are finished with you know you have been through the ringer. They are always coming at you.

From the outside that's widely looked down on. From their perspective, all instances roll home to fruition when they are down by 25 points in the big game with 20 minutes to go. Brady is able to throw it around 60+ times, against the clock, at ease. Then Falcons knew it was still game on and once the lead starting to errod the choking starting to kick in.

Shanahan crapped the bed, he was arrogant to a degree, but I'd wager he was thinking an 11 point lead may not be enough. Even at that stage of the game. That's driven by the reputation the Pats have built over time. 

Im sure they don't care what people think and to be honest I don't blame them. 

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

of course it is ..... First time Eagles played Cowboys ..... Eagles threw instead of running . Pushed us out of FG range when we were up on TD . We punted let Boys tie it and lost it OT.  Cowboys did same crap to lose in playoffs .......  Now the Failcons did it in super bowl .  How is it that most fans know to run yet these high paid OC's dont ? 

2 hours ago, jphilly said:

of course it is ..... First time Eagles played Cowboys ..... Eagles threw instead of running . Pushed us out of FG range when we were up on TD . We punted let Boys tie it and lost it OT.  Cowboys did same crap to lose in playoffs .......  Now the Failcons did it in super bowl .  How is it that most fans know to run yet these high paid OC's dont ? 

Quinn should have vetoed Kyle's playcall.

When NE is involved, strange things happen to the opposing team (drone, briefly lost playbook) but none to them, what an irony :silly:

Tis the end of the season, and a disappointing finish that the bad guys win yet another title. Here's hoping we somehow avoid having the same 3 teams win again next year.

At any rate, thank you to everybody who participated in this thread. Twas an honor to bash the Cowboys, Gnats, Ravens, and other ne'er-do-wells alongside you again this season. 

On to 2017-2018.

Mods, do yo thang.

Archived