Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: NEXT-GEN STATS: Jordan Reed is revolutionizing the tight end position

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000680715/article/jared-goff-should-begin-on-bench-hue-jacksons-rgiii-project#Reed

Is Jordan Reed the best receiving tight end in the NFL?

I'm not quite ready to proclaim the Redskins stud as the gold standard, but I do believe Niles Paul and Trent Williams were onto something when they suggested Reed is one of the best receiving tight ends in the game.

[...]...the Next-Gen Stats suggest Reed is not only delivering the goods as a playmaker -- he's changing the job description for the TE position.

Instead of spending most of his time attached to the line as a traditional tight end, Reed is being used like a jumbo wide receiver. Last season, Reed aligned in the slot or out wide on more than 41 percent of his snaps. Twenty-four percent came in the slot, with Reed compiling an impressive 74.4 percent catch rate (29 receptions on 39 targets) and averaging 11.1 yards per catch. When positioned out wide (17 percent of his snaps), Reed continued to dominate opponents with a 74 percent catch rate and an average of 8.5 yards per catch.

Looking at the All-22 Coaches Film, it is easy to see why Reed has become one of the biggest playmakers at the position. At 6-2 and 246 pounds with solid speed, he is too big for most defensive backs and too shifty for linebackers forced to guard him in space. Redskins coach Jay Gruden has cleverly tapped into his skills by lining him up in different spots within the formation, particularly down in the red zone, where he torches opponents from a wide alignment.

Let's take a look at a couple of plays that display Reed's dangerous skill set.

(analysis and video...)

[...]With the Redskins fully taking advantage of their young star's diverse positional background and skill set (he played quarterback, running back and tight end at Florida), Reed is closing the gap on Rob Gronkowski when it comes to the biggest impact playmakers at tight end.

Rest at the link...

Our TE roster is going to allow us to revolutionize what an offense does with the TE. If everyone stays healthy, this is gonna be absolutely killer. Reed is a monster, but don't sleep on Niles. And like SkinsGuy just said, though his profile pic is seriously distracting me, adding Davis to the mix just makes this even deadlier.

I've been saying this, but if you look at our 3TE sets we started heavy with last year and think how Reed can be lined up like a WR and DJax on the field it is a nearly undefendable offense.

You either have 7 in the box with 7 good blockers, Reed alone on a CB or DJax with no one over the top.

We should be able to run this formation no huddle, be very physical, with 5 good receivers and 7 good blockers.

It allows deep passes to either DJax or Reed on almost every play, as well as an extremely physical ground and pound, with even blocking.

I don't know how you defend against this and you can switch into this personnel grouping quickly, without the defense being able to adjust.

Yeah I think one of the most impressive things about Jordan Reed's output in 2015 was how depleted the team was at the TE position besides Reed.  Sometimes even great players have down years stat-wise when the defense is able to focus on them.   With Niles Paul, Paulson, and Vernon Davis healthy and being lined up with Reed?  It is going to either get Reed open even more, or will end up getting the other guys very favorable matchups.

Revolutionize the TE position? Not at all, just hyperbole by the writer. While an excellent player, Reed doesn't do anything differently than many recieving TEs have done in the past, he just does it better than most. If being lined up as a receiver is what is revolutionary then look no further Graham among many examples. With the Saints Graham lined up as a receiver 67% of his snaps; out wide or in the slot. Graham caused a big controversy if he should be classified as a TE or receiver when he was tagged.

Archived