Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Smoking Room (cigar smoker's thread)

AsburySkinsFan

LFD Andalusian Bull

attachment.jpg

Prelight: leather and earth, draw medium. Medium toothiness, oily wrapper with tight visible seams.
First Third: leather is the predominant flavor with some grassy earthiness on retro. Light to medium body. Took a couple puffs to get much smoke production early.
Second third: still a light to medium bodied earthiness. Little to no pepper.
Final third: moved into a medium body, with some sweet grassiness on retro. Black pepper finish.
Burn was fairly sharp and the construction was flawless, didn't ash until well after the band removal.

Truly epic! 

E.P. Carillo Inch Short Run 2014

A beautiful smoke medium/full bodied, earthy leather draw and a delicious caramel on retrohale. 

Oh did I mention that the construction was freaking amazing?

33943433345_8d7e895d0a_b.jpg

Stack of dimes

33130456713_5bc16e7b90_b.jpg

Yeah....

33943433325_259f61191d_b.jpg

Finally tapped out, but still got 10 minutes after I tapped.

33902699986_9af784e5f6_b.jpg

I don't have ASF's sophisticated pallate, but smoked a Norteno by Drew Estates on the way home from Opening Day (while we sat in traffic for almost 2.5 hours)--that is a fantastic smoke. A smooth, full bodied cigar, great pull, great construction. It's getting put into the regular rotation, I highly recommend.

5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

ASF, is there a reason you don't ash? 

I've also enjoyed your foray into cigar review vocabulary :)  You'll be writing for Cigar Afficionado in no time! 

The ash cone insulates the cherry allowing for a more consistent burn. It allows the cherry to smolder without going out or being affected by the wind. An ash cone this big is about bragging rights! But it does demonstrate a high quality of construction in the cigar, especially when it can stand on it without breaking.

I FINALLY tapped out on this one because I didn't want a face full of ash. To get a stack of dimes like this you almost always need to hold the cigar vertically which obviously places you in a precarious position while drawing. I went back and looked at my notes on my first Carillo Inch and it smoked past the band too so consistency in construction seems to be the norm. 

I'm REALLY enjoying cigars! I dabbled in craft beer, then a bit into wines, but cigars seem to have taken hold. I really like everything about them. I like digging through cigar shops looking for new ones, learning about them, smelling them, taking notes on them, and most certainly smoking them. I love the flavors and smells. I love the me time that goes with them. 

Now, if only I can find someone to fund it all!!

8 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I love the flavors and smells. I love the me time that goes with them. 

This is the best part of smoking a cigar. This time of year, in the cool evening, sitting around a fire, smoking a cigar is a terrific evening (I noticed you have a Yeti as well--a must for coffee drinkers with cigars!). I told someone I work with I smoked a 2-hour cigar (a CAO Flathead 660, to be precise). They asked why? I told them cigars are great because you sit around you do nothing.

e92b32599338c8646ac584c5dab3af5e0464db99

20 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I don't have ASF's sophisticated pallate, but smoked a Norteno by Drew Estates on the way home from Opening Day (while we sat in traffic for almost 2.5 hours)--that is a fantastic smoke. A smooth, full bodied cigar, great pull, great construction. It's getting put into the regular rotation, I highly recommend.

This helped me A LOT! When I first started I could get the basic "food groups" but this helped focus my attention into finer detail. Heck, there are some on here I couldn't tell you what they were, but this helps with the "Yeah, that's what it is moments."

33953347725_bb5a63b6cf_z.jpg

I've been seeing these a lot in my cigar groups, gonna half to add it to my kill list.

33953445805_5990bf7274_z.jpg

10 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is the best part of smoking a cigar. This time of year, in the cool evening, sitting around a fire, smoking a cigar is a terrific evening (I noticed you have a Yeti as well--a must for coffee drinkers with cigars!). I told someone I work with I smoked a 2-hour cigar (a CAO Flathead 660, to be precise). They asked why? I told them cigars are great because you sit around you do nothing.

I love this post soooo much!! It's so true!! I've sat on my deck in front of my chiminea until 1am finishing a cigar. Just me, the cigar, the fire, the night, a Yeti full of some libation, and usually my black lab. It's why most of my cigar pics are at night with the glow.

3 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

The ash cone insulates the cherry allowing for a more consistent burn. It allows the cherry to smolder without going out or bring affected by the wind. An ash cone this big is about bragging rights! But it does demonstrate a high quality of construction in the cigar, especially when it can stand on it without breaking.

I FINALLY tapped out on this one because I didn't want a face full of ash. To get a stack of dimes like this you almost always need to hold the cigar vertically which obviously places you in a precarious position while drawing. I went back and looked at my notes on my first Carillo Inch and it smoked past the band too so consistency in construction seems to be the norm. 

I'm REALLY enjoying cigars! I dabbled in craft beer, then a bit into wines, but cigars seem to have taken hold. I really like everything about them. I like digging through cigar shops looking for new ones, learning about them, smelling them, taking notes on them, and most certainly smoking them. I love the flavors and smells. I love the me time that goes with them. 

Now, if only I can find someone to fund it all!!

Good stuff man, thanks.  I knew there had to be a reason.

And I agree on all counts, it's SO nice to sit outside, have a cigar and just chill and do nothing.  I'm having one tonight for sure.  I don't know if I'll ever get into them as much as you have but I've definitely been smoking more lately.  There's an Old Virginia Tobacco Co. within walking distance of my apartment and the people there are really friendly and knowledgeable so I've learned some in the recent months.

Hi All,

I've just discovered this thread and have enjoyed reading it.

I enjoy the odd cigar and have been looking for suggestions to broaden my horizons beyond Fuente, La Gloria Cubana and Asylum. Thanks for the ideas!!!

As for canoeing, how do you prevent/address it? I don't have good luck here and could use suggestions. I typically punch, and sometimes cut. 

Also, on the humidor front, I found myself a really nice one on eBay - cheap because of a blemish - and it kicks butt. It's a 60-stick (not sure of name) cedar desktop model with really nice finish. The blemish is hardly noticeable and it saved me about 75% off the retail. Just a thought for those of you who want a nicer humidor at a nicer price and can live with a slight imperfection.

Keep posting - I'm loving it!

PS, here is my local cigar store:

Cambridge+Massachusetts+Home+Harvard+Uni

cf1f6e5c201212ca96570898e943b341.jpg

42 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Hi All,

I've just discovered this thread and have enjoyed reading it.

I enjoy the odd cigar and have been looking for suggestions to broaden my horizons beyond Fuente, La Gloria Cubana and Asylum. Thanks for the ideas!!!

As for canoeing, how do you prevent/address it? I don't have good luck here and could use suggestions. I typically punch, and sometimes cut. 

Also, on the humidor front, I found myself a really nice one on eBay - cheap because of a blemish - and it kicks butt. It's a 60-stick (not sure of name) cedar desktop model with really nice finish. The blemish is hardly noticeable and it saved me about 75% off the retail. Just a thought for those of you who want a nicer humidor at a nicer price and can live with a slight imperfection.

Keep posting - I'm loving it!

PS, here is my local cigar store:

WELCOME!!!

I have a butane single flame torch for touch ups. When I first started. i would touch up at the first sign of unevenness but most times the burn works itself out. Now I touch up only when one side gets way ahead between an 1/8th and 1/4th of an inch or more. The single flame allows for a more detailed touch up, I tried with a triple torch but that's like using a sledgehamner to pound a finishing nail.

Feel free to post pics, would love to see that humidor! And that cigar shop looks great!!!

Many times it is from improper humidity in storage , rotating them in the humidor(and letting new purchases sit) will usually help(or get better sources).

Putting them so the top of the band faces down sometimes helps .

a dab of spit or as ASF suggested stops most unless they need treated. 

Thanks @twa and @AsburySkinsFan

My butane torch doesn't keep charged. I need to have the shop that sold it to me have a look. Once that works out I'll try that as a fix. I'm also going to try rotating in the humidor. 

I am curious - does anyone know about the stuff that sometimes grows on cigars that looks like mold? I've been told it is a good thing (and not mold) after I bought a really nice cigar that had it, and I've also had it happen to a cigar I had in my humidor. 

Just now, MassSkinsFan said:

My butane torch doesn't keep charged. I need to have the shop that sold it to me have a look. Once that works out I'll try that as a fix. I'm also going to try rotating in the humidor. 

I am curious - does anyone know about the stuff that sometimes grows on cigars that looks like mold? I've been told it is a good thing (and not mold) after I bought a really nice cigar that had it, and I've also had it happen to a cigar I had in my humidor. 

1. The torch, make sure you leave it inside, and not in your car when it's freezing. The seals can contract, expand and not function as well. Also, gas at room temp works better.

2. Unless I've been misinformed, it's called cigar bloom, and it's the oils in the wrapper cystalizing, or something like that?

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

1. The torch, make sure you leave it inside, and not in your car when it's freezing. The seals can contract, expand and not function as well. Also, gas at room temp works better.

2. Unless I've been misinformed, it's called cigar bloom, and it's the oils in the wrapper cystalizing, or something like that?

It is bloom, or plume. I just looked it up and here's an article that explains it pretty well:

https://www.famous-smoke.com/cigaradvisor/is-it-plume-or-mold

Thanks for the tip!

12 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Ahhh the notorious plume!!

Start with the fact that plume ONLY ever appears after near absolute perfect long term storage. It'll look crystaline and is flat, because it is from the oils. Plume will only appear on the wrapper and not on the foot (part you light).

99.99% of the time white "growths" that appear it mold. If you find a cigar in a store that appears to have plume on it, it's most certainly mold because most cigars are not held in stock long enough to develop plume.

cigar-mold-or-plume-guideline-696x604.jp

15 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Ahhh the notorious plume!!

Start with the fact that plume ONLY ever appears after near absolute perfect long term storage. It'll look crystaline and is flat, because it is from the oils. Plume will only appear on the wrapper and not on the foot (part you light).

99.99% of the time white "growths" that appear it mold. If you find a cigar in a store that appears to have plume on it, it's most certainly mold because most cigars are not held in stock long enough to develop plume.

I think I got lucky. It was an expensive cigar, and the offending substance was not 3D and did not smear or stain. I'm pretty sure it was bloom, but I didn't have it tested, so can't say 100% :-)

If it was mold it didn't have much of an impact.

Archived