Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GIF Breakdown: Su'a Cravens' Fit as SS in Redskin's Nickel Defense

thehbrwhammer

Redskins run a 3-4 Under as our base defense, but in nickel we put four defensive lineman on the line of scrimmage and play a 4-2-5 (Over) defense usually with Cover 3. In this defense, the SS moves into the box as a weakside linebacker. Cravens is an excellent fit here. Hopefully, he can learn the Mo' (Jack) inside linebacker spot in our base front as well, but he's going to be a good special teams contributor.

Why did he fall? Size. He's a tweener and even when we drafted him we were still deciding on putting him in linebacker drills or to work with the safeties. I think we decided on safeties.

That Stanford play is great; the definition of relentless workhorse defense.

His football smarts give him so much TE coverage upside and that's been the bane of our defense. It always seemed that TE's had career days against us, I mean it got to the point where people were streaming TE's off the waiver wire in fantasy football because those TE's were playing us. Hopefully he can cover Witten and Ertz well and also keep up with the shifty slot guys.

Outside of that, I LOVE his tackling and his ability to shed blocks and attack the ball. He reminds me of a more specialized and less flashy Tyrann Mathieu.

These GIF breakdowns are always the best.  If you could do one for about how every player on our team reacts to every scenario possible that would be great!  Thanks!   :lol:

BTW, when I first read Sua Cravens OLB I had no idea who he was and wasn't a big fan of another OLB pick though I did trust in Scott.  Since then this has become one of my favorite picks once I started to understand the prospect more.  Glad I saw this.

These GIF breakdowns are always the best.  If you could do one for about how every player on our team reacts to every scenario possible that would be great!  Thanks!   :lol:

BTW, when I first read Sua Cravens OLB I had no idea who he was and wasn't a big fan of another OLB pick though I did trust in Scott.  Since then this has become one of my favorite picks once I started to understand the prospect more.  Glad I saw this.

Haha, If i had the time I would. I'm about to start a Quarterback TD/INT series. Kirk is first!

Great work as usual! I look forward to these breakdowns. Easily my favorite posts. Thanks again for taking the time!

For a guy right out of college he appears to not have any weaknesses in terms of technique. He appears to me to have great form is shedding blockers, being in position to make plays, and he finishes by making text book tackles (correct me if I wrong). Once he gets the ball carrier they are going down.

Thanks again. While every player is a bit much to ask :-), keep them coming when you can! Always a great read!

The one thing that have always been a daunting task from our defenses having been tackling.  I never understood why this team always selected players who had no idea how to wrap up and get a ball carrier down to the ground. 

This kid looks the part as far as a professional football player. 

Nice work Samuel.

When discussing our run defense issues last year, I've mentioned the problems we had from the SS spot - Ihenacho's loss hurt - and their role as the force player vs the run (anyone remember the instructional video Barry did while still with the Chargers?).  I believe Barry tried to adjust to the poor play/tackling/angles of Robinson (and others), and that's why we saw our ILBs trying to take on this role... I could be wrong though.

Point being, between Ihenacho and Cravens (especially looking past this year), I think we'll see a pretty big difference in our run D (particularly since I think improving that spot will also positively impact the players around them).

In this defense, the SS moves into the box as a weakside linebacker. Cravens is an excellent fit here.

Thanks.  Can Cravens play strong safety at other times (i.e., when we are not in the nickel formation)?  What are the potential issues in this scenario?

Thanks.  Can Cravens play strong safety at other times (i.e., when we are not in the nickel formation)?  What are the potential issues in this scenario?

Potentially too slow to play SS in base. Is he fast enough to get deeper than an outside WR that runs a 4.4? I don't think so. I want him to play ILB and take over where Keenan Robinson played (Mo' role)

Potentially too slow to play SS in base. Is he fast enough to get deeper than an outside WR that runs a 4.4? I don't think so. I want him to play ILB and take over where Keenan Robinson played (Mo' role)

Being a SS in this defense, not sure how often you are playing that outside WR.  It'll happen sure, but Joe Barry wants his SS to be the force player in the run.  So it'll be a lot of the 'in the box' safety play that Cravens excels at.

I'm excited to see this kid get on the field.

So Compton starts this season and then Cravens takes over from Compton?  Do you have Riley or Foster starting at the other ILB position?

So Compton starts this season and then Cravens takes over from Compton?  Do you have Riley or Foster starting at the other ILB position?

I'm really hopeful on the two young ILB that potentially could break out this year: Martrell Spaight (IR all last year as rookie) and Steven Daniels (rookie this year).  Maybe one of these two guys breaks into the lineup sometime during the season.

I'm really hopeful on the two young ILB that potentially could break out this year: Martrell Spaight (IR all last year as rookie) and Steven Daniels (rookie this year). Maybe one of these two guys breaks into the lineup sometime during the season.

I think he'll push for a starting spot as the season rolls on and he learns the system - Compton, Foster and Riley (assuming he sticks) had best show some improvement - because Daniels looks like he'd be great in the thumper role we need/want in a way those others never have.

I think he'll push for a starting spot as the season rolls on and he learns the system - Compton, Foster and Riley (assuming he sticks) had best show some improvement - because Daniels looks like he'd be great in the thumper role we need/want in a way those others never have.

I agree. The film on Daniels I've seen shows he excels at the thumper role, and is great at shedding OL blocks.

I haven't looked at Spaight's tape recently, I can't remember if he's stronger against the run or pass?

Archived