Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Pass Heavy Game Plan?

StevieInferior

I don't like the sounds of what i am reading in the paper. We're hearing too much about the Panther's Pass Defense being ranked 25th. In the past that has been bad news. Look no further than the Philly game where Spurrier threw it all over the place and afterwards cited Philly's poor pass defense. He said the same after other pass heavy preformances like last year's Jags game. Although I like his thinking, it is still an NFL defense that requires you to keep a balance to keep the defense guessing thus preventing them from teeing off on the blitz or dropping your safties into coverage. Perhaps Hue will ensure we call a balanced game.

This isn't an 'either/or' deal.

If the Panthers are weak in the secondary, we'd be fools not to try to exploit it ... kind of like Rhodes was a fool not to exploit our weakness in blitz pickup.

The key is to not try to exploit the weakness at the expense of a reasonably balanced attack, where Carolina has to at least be made to respect the run. I'm pretty sure Hue will go into this one with the idea of running enough early to make play-action a viable option. Then, when and if we DO get the Panthers hesitating to come after Patrick with multiple blitzers, I suspect we'll try to go downfield and make the Carolina DB's prove they can make plays against Coles, Gardner and McCants. Might even see T. Jacobs streak a time or two.

"Balance" may be a cliche ... but it applies here.

To expliot this weakness in the Panther D....

We still need to call a balanced game. There is no question about this. It is crucial.

To exploit their secondary when we do pass, we might see a more spread formation. That way, we get more of our recievers out there, and directly challange their depth at DB.

But we still need to balance the offense.

I think our coaching staff might have learned something in that Philly game.

Spurrier even admitted that our gameplan was to throw the ball since the Eagles were stout vs. the run but suspect vs. the pass. He said that may have been a mistake.

I think we'll run some but still look to pass the ball for the big plays. Let's be honest here, with Ramsey, Coles, and Gardner in there along with Rock and Canidate...our strength is the passing game!

IF we pass more than we run. We'll lose.

I'm talking a great disparity. Give or take 5 plays.

We need balance to win.

What I don't understand, is if Spurrier is such an offensive genius, then why is Hue Jackson our savior?

I mean, I'll take a balanced game plan, a gameplan that establishes the run....I'll take that anyway I can get it.

But it's frustrating.

bigzak, i've heard people this week talking about the spurrier thing. i don't think him delegating play-calling is that big a deal. he was paid $5M a year to bring in and implement his system, not necessarily call every offensive shot.

and if him delegating the play-calling means he's going to walk around and give more input to special teams and defense, then that's fine with me too...that is what a HEAD coach should do.

i would look for a tricky play on special teams this week.

Originally posted by bigzak25

What I don't understand, is if Spurrier is such an offensive genius, then why is Hue Jackson our savior?

Spurrier is a college football genius; he has yet to completely adapt to the NFL.

Although, his recent moves have been a very, very good sign he is learning, such as benching himself and having Hue call the shots.

From what I've read, it's a gradual transition from college into the NFL.

But, he is a genuis, and he will eventually get it done.

Originally posted by DougWilliams

You know what I'd like to see against a blitz, a little shovel pass here and there.

I love Ramsey, but he doesn't know what touch on a pass is yet. That's all we need, a little shovel pass going 20 yards down field, with or without the reciever.

Ramsey is on record in a quote on the Post saying they realize that when they have a balanced attack the Skins do better:

Patrick Ramsey

Q: With 33 passes and 32 runs last week, is that the type of balance in play-calling that you expect to see this week too?

A: Hopefully. As we watch tape and as we really develop the game plan and practice our plays, we'll get good feel for what we want to do. But I think we've shown that when we're balanced, it puts us in a position to win ballgames.

from: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/2003/week11/quotes13.htm

(good quotes from others too)

The reason that I say it is because that's one of the reasons that the roll outs aren't as effective. However, I will retract the statement a bit and say he is getting better and will continue to get better.

By the way, Montana (most overrated QB ever) and Pennington only had/have touch.

Originally posted by Symbol

The reason that I say it is because that's one of the reasons that the roll outs aren't as effective. However, I will retract the statement a bit and say he is getting better and will continue to get better.

By the way, Montana (most overrated QB ever) and Pennington only had/have touch.

I might be one of a few (I'm guessing there aren't many) who would agree Montana is overrated, but I don't know about most overrated QB ever... that might be a stretch.

To me, Montana got the most out of his natural ability as any QB I've ever watched. He was smart, consistent, cool under pressure, and had the best gift for putting the ball just where it had to be of anyone I've seen.

No way to tell how he would have done in a different offense or on a lesser team -- safe to say he'd not have won 3 SB's playing for the Cardinals -- but I take nothing away from him. He totally and utterly maxed out on his talent and his opportunities. That's not something you can say about many QB's, or many human beings, for that matter.

Think Joe Gibbs wouldn't have had some fun with Montana at the helm for 10 years? :)

Well their weakness is in the secondary but it's not awful. Add in the pressure from the linebackers safeties defensive line and we've got problems. Coaches better quit messing around and plan out a decent defensive freakin gameplan that makes sense. Then our pass game should me thriving!:cheers:

Archived