Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BMX Legend Dave Mirra Passes Away At The Age Of 41

Springfield

http://uproxx.com/sports/dave-mirra-dead/

An action sports icon passed away today, as Greenville, N.C. police announced that BMX legend Dave Mirra was found dead at age 41. According to the authorities, Mirra’s death is being treated as a suicide due to “an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.”

Mirra is one of the greatest competitors in the history of the X-Games. He won 24 medals during his time competing at the biggest event in action sports, 23 of those came from BMX events and one was in rally car. Of those 24 medals, 14 of those were gold medals, and both his total and gold medal counts are second all-time in the history of the X-Games.

His influence also went beyond sports, as Mirra hosted the MTV show Real World/Road Rules Challenge and was the namesake for four BMX-themed video games.

According to the statement put out by the Greenville Police, Mirra is survived by his wife and two children.

Wwhhhaattttttt?!?!?!?! That's horrible a suicide to top it off, I'm stunned. I wonder what pushed him over the edge. The image he had in public was a fierce competitor that was always laughing, smiling and seemed to be in good spirits. So yeah I wonder what was going on behind closed doors because I would have never thought to read he took his own life.

I hate to speculate, but I wonder if he had a history of concussions. I would imagine he had to have taken his fair share of shots to the head. Really really sad.

Had the same thought

RIP. I think after Tony Hawk, Mirra might have had the biggest name recognition back then as far as all that X Games stuff goes

I hate to speculate, but I wonder if he had a history of concussions. I would imagine he had to have taken his fair share of shots to the head. Really really sad.

That's what my husband said. 

Holy.  Dude was a legend...when the X Games started, he & Tony Hawk kept me glued to the TV.

Rest in peace, Dave.

Had the same thought, as did a few of us, apparently.  I wonder if he'll be checked for that before burial.  I did not know he had a wife & kids; all the more tragic.  RIP. 

Archived