Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rock is the real deal

SnydertheHun

I have always thought the Rock would be a great RB if if got the chance. He has great speed, moves and vision and he is, in the late Buschbaum's words, as hard to tackle as a coke machine. He is also so short, you can't see him until he comes out from behind the line and by then he is hauling a$$. He has also proven that he is a great receiver out of the backfield.

6.2 YPC isn't too bad.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

Gotta keep giving Rock "the rock." I still dont see him as an every down starter but I see him more in the Gerald Riggs role of pounding a defense and making clutch short yardage runs. I still like him having under 15 carries

We should have noticed this since day 1. When your name is Rock Cartwright, your going to be good. And thats it.

He's so short its hard to get him off balance, and he's so powerful its just hard to really get a good hit on him. He also has pretty good speed.

rock had a nice game. i take nothing from what he's done as a redskin in a situational role. he is not, however, an everydown back. is betts that?...not sure...we'll find out with time. what we have, is rb by a group that brings different things to the table. i think trung leaves an awful lot to be desired as an everydown back. rock will have problems if featured because teams will gameplan to his weaknesses and he doesn't possess the breakaway speed needed is ss offense.

i know we need dl bigtime. wonder how far kevin jones will slip, if at all, in next year's draft...

Those lil-bitty "fireplug" guys don't need big holes: They break a lot of arm tackles.

And, he seems to be better at catching than I expected. (I would've been scared to throw over the middle to him because of his height. But, it seems to work.)

I've said since we drafted Cartwright that he would seem to be to be an almost ideal back for the Spurrier offense. He's got speed and power. He's got nice explosion. He doesn't have a great deal of "make you miss" but he's got power and once he's into the secondary he's tough and when he's in the backfield he's tough to see. I don't know that I'm ready to lift him to the primary running back role yet, but, I do think he's well suited to the spot in this offense.

That run in the 4th quarter where he spun almost as soon as he got the ball and made the defender miss and then broke a few arm tackles brought back memories of Barry Sanders. I'm not saying that the Rock is anywhere near as good as Barry, but I think this guy has a future in the league and hopefully with the Skins.

Fullback seems to be a good prep school for feature RBs around here. Stephen Davis wasn't doing much early on -- it's hard to remember now, but he had a reputation as a soft runner who couldn't break tackles -- but a year at fullback transformed him into an entirely different critter. Cartwright is as heavy as Davis, at least as fast, and if anything his shorter stature is an advantage in the leverage department.

I could see the Rock developing into a feature back, given the time and opportunity.

Rock proved to be the better runner than Trung yesterday, plain and simple. I was a big Trung proponent this offseason because I fell in love with his speed, but the fact is, he's too indecisive and lacks the toughness to just stick his nose in there and make someone bring him down.

How could you not love what Rock brings to the table? He'll get every last inch there is everytime he's got the ball. he shows great natural running instincts. He's decisive and hits the hole hard and at full speed.

There were yards out there to be had and Trung was just not getting them. Rock showed him how it's done. Hopefully, Betts will be back before too long and you gotta like the rotation of Betts and Rock in the lineup, along with Morton to provide some breakaway speed. Not sure where Trung fits in there. It seems like that stable is getting awfully crowded.

Give Rock the Rock! he averageds a higher ypc because he hits the hole unlike trung who runs really indecisevely but breaks a few long ones.IMHO ill take a back who truly averages5-6 yds a carry to one who makes sparkling big plays but takes big losses as well ala barry sanders. as much as it pains me id take an Emmitt or Payton over Barry.

Ryman of the North said:

as it pains me id take an Emmitt or Payton over Barry.

Come on man, Barry was just so much fun to watch. I'd take his entertaining style anyday over boring old Emmitt. Payton was fun to watch, I wouldn't say he was that similar to Emmitt. He had the moves to go along with his straight ahead style. Emmitt just rode his horses every game. Plain and simple, if Barry had Emmitts line, Barry would have demolished Payton's record.

I went to the game and the differences between them were obvious. Trung lacks vision. he could have broken off some nice runs if he had just cut back, but time and again, he just didn't see it. Furthermore, he went down a couple of times after being hit, not tackled, but just hit.

Rock on the other hand made something out of nothing over and over again. He showed vision in the hole, speed around the outside (remember that crossing route?) balance and great power.

Can he be a feature runner? Absolutely. The guy is 5'7" (5 inches shorter than Davis), weighs 237 lbs (2 lbs more than Davis) and runs a 4.4 forty (college times). Furthermore, he has proven to be our best WR out of the backfield. By the end of the game, I cannot believe that DL, LBs, and DBs are happy to see him coming through the hole with a head of steam.

Remember, Hue Jackson ran from the war room hooting and hollering with glee after we drafted him. The same Hue Jackson who is now calling our plays.

Archived