Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL goodies you've found on YouTube

thebluefood

2) Phil Villapiano, former bad boy for the Raiders 70s teams, was finishing up his career at LB for Buffalo.

Phil Villapiano is great.  His segments on the 1976 Raiders America's Game documentary are gold - really must see for any football fan.  (for me, him talking about the equipment modifications by the Raiders staff in the 70s really underscores just how ridiculous it is that the NFL is trying make Deflategate such a big deal.

On a more important note I hope that you are feeling better.

Phil Villapiano is great. His segments on the 1976 Raiders America's Game documentary are gold - really must see for any football fan. (for me, him talking about the equipment modifications by the Raiders staff in the 70s really underscores just how ridiculous it is that the NFL is trying make Deflategate such a big deal.

On a more important note I hope that you are feeling better.

He and George Atkinson are two of the biggest Raiders homers in the history of the game in those Americas Game series. They truly believe every player and every team they were on was the best and there is an NFL conspiracy against the Raiders. They are hilarious.

Funny thing is, as good as the Raiders were in that era, they only won 1 SB from those 70s teams. They'd be labeled chokers in today's game.

If you haven't read it, read "Badasses". It's about the 70s Raiders. The stories grow taller and taller the more you read.

Doing great. I was on the edge, but I've got a great counselor that I've been going to for two years and it's been life changing. Thanks for asking.

He and George Atkinson are two of the biggest Raiders homers in the history of the game in those Americas Game series. They truly believe every player and every team they were on was the best and there is an NFL conspiracy against the Raiders. They are hilarious.

Funny thing is, as good as the Raiders were in that era, they only won 1 SB from those 70s teams. They'd be labeled chokers in today's game.

If you haven't read it, read "Badasses". It's about the 70s Raiders. The stories grow taller and taller the more you read.

Doing great. I was on the edge, but I've got a great counselor that I've been going to for two years and it's been life changing. Thanks for asking.

Glad to hear that things are well! 

Regarding the Raiders, I really think that they were really good, but they were unlucky against the Steelers, and actually not just the Steelers.  There was a period where they just kept losing close games to the team that would end up winning the SB.

Regarding Villapiano, what I really enjoyed was him describing giving OJ Simpson the "can-opener".  I still laugh at that segment.

What's funny is, when you watch an old game, you'll find yourself saying, "that would be a penalty today," about 10 times.

Case in point, the opening kickoff of the Redskins-Broncos Superbowl in 1988.  Sanders gets tackled and then thrown down after he is 3 yards out of bounds...and he is thrown down on top of the ref.  No flag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO7K5rCV3RQ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

https://youtu.be/KANo3GLD8Ic?t=31s

As much as I love Facenda's voice and the iconic music, the opening sequence at Memorial Stadium is one of my favorite NFL clips. You're immersed in the sights and sounds of that afternoon - the anxiety and excitement before and during the game until the stadium exploded with joy when the game was secured.

Having Chuck Thompson's voice underneath it all enhances it even more. It's like you're in the stands with a transistor radio in your pocket.

• 3 weeks later...

Highlights from important late season Skins-Rams MNF game in 1971. Wild game features a Curt Knight FG where the ball is kicked from the Skins side of midfield (goalposts were in the front of the endzone then) and Dandy Don breaking into "HTTR" and then leads into some sort of Cowboys fight song.  These were the days...............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3AL8NSNfnE

Highlights from important late season Skins-Rams MNF game in 1971. Wild game features a Curt Knight FG where the ball is kicked from the Skins side of midfield (goalposts were in the front of the endzone then) and Dandy Don breaking into "HTTR" and then leads into some sort of Cowboys fight song.  These were the days...............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3AL8NSNfnE

Billy had him a hell of a night.

Meredith's comment about Kilmer throwing two touchdown passes - one for his team and one for Los Angeles - was pretty funny, though.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived