Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL goodies you've found on YouTube

thebluefood

Lately, I've been coming across a lot of interesting, historical finds from the NFL on YouTube and I thought this might be a place where we could share them all.

I know we have a few Philadelphia Eagles fans who frequent the board, so here's something that you guys might like - a full radio broadcast of the team's last NFL Title in 1960 against the Packers.

Background for you youngins:

American Express ran a bunch of commercials, with various celebrities, all on a common theme.

They'd open up with "Do you know me?", and then follow with the celebrity describing something about himself.

The theme was that "Hey, I'm a Really Important Person. But when I travel, most people don't recognize how Important I am." (And the theme of the commercial was that, if you carry an American Express card, then when you travel, people will treat you like a Big Wheel, even if they don;t recognize your face.) 

Often, as the commercial went on, there would be some bigger clues as to who the celebrity was. 

The "punch line" of the commercial, was at the end, when they'd show an AmEx card, and type in the name of the mystery celebrity. 

(One of the ones I really remember, featured an older guy in a trench coat, on the Orient Express, carrying on a speech while dodging a menacing looking goon and a sultry Mata Hari type.  He mentioned how the card is accepted no matter where his travels might take him.  And how it can even serve as emergency identification, if he is forced to reveal his Born Identity.  The guy was Robert Ludlum.) 

Amazing that Riggins 100 yards was the first by an NFC Running Back in the SB up to that point.

That it is, especially with the Green Bay Packers beating the hell out of their first two, AFL foes in the first two Super Bowls.

But, those AFC Defenses in Miami, Pittsburgh and Oakland were so damn good, and I think the Cowboys went, primarily, in the air, to beat the Broncos and the Dolphins in their Super Bowl W's in the '70s.

That it is, especially with the Green Bay Packers beating the hell out of their first two, AFL foes in the first two Super Bowls.

But, those AFC Defenses in Miami, Pittsburgh and Oakland were so damn good, and I think the Cowboys went, primarily, in the air, to beat the Broncos and the Dolphins in their Super Bowl W's in the '70s.

plus didn't a lot of teams have multiple running backs who would get time?  And the fullback would actually get multiple carries

Background for you youngins:

American Express ran a bunch of commercials, with various celebrities, all on a common theme.

They'd open up with "Do you know me?", and then follow with the celebrity describing something about himself.

The theme was that "Hey, I'm a Really Important Person. But when I travel, most people don't recognize how Important I am." (And the theme of the commercial was that, if you carry an American Express card, then when you travel, people will treat you like a Big Wheel, even if they don;t recognize your face.) 

Often, as the commercial went on, there would be some bigger clues as to who the celebrity was. 

The "punch line" of the commercial, was at the end, when they'd show an AmEx card, and type in the name of the mystery celebrity. 

With regard to the Tom Landry one, I recall I used to have a photocopy of a cartoon parodying it (pre-internet photo memes) of an Indian (i.e., Redskin) standing with his AmEx card held out to pay the cowboy (Tom Landry) who was on his knees performing fellatio.

Over the last couple of years of recovering from a depression, I vowed to get away from "work" on my lunch hour. So, I start reading books. Well, I've read about all the books I can for about two years, but started to get bored with reading them.

So, on a whim, I found an old 1977 Lions vs Falcons, week 9 game on youtube. I started watching it. I have found hundreds of games to watch on youtube. There is a group of guys that has old games from the 70s, 80s and 90s. Some of you younger fans should watch them to see how football was "really" played. It's been a very nostalgic trip.

You can find regular season games, playoff games and even old Super Bowls. I was born in 1968, so I missed the first 11 SBs. The first one I watched was SB 12 (Dallas 27- Denver 10). I made a quest to watch the 11 that I missed. Some are good quality. Some are not. Some don't show all of it and some are sinced up to radio. I think one (SB IV) is in black and white. But, hey, I can now say I've seen all 49 SBs.

There are also a bunch of old USFL games. I watched the Washington Federals first game against Chicago. Had Coy Bacon for the Federals and George Allen coaching the Chicago Blitz. I watched Gary Clark play for the Jacksonville Bulls and I'm going to watch Ricky Sanders play for the Houston Gamblers and Kelvin Bryant play for the Philadelphia Stars.

I'll be finishing up a 1981 Week 12 matchup between the New England Patriots and Buffalo Bills today. Three players of note in that game;

1) Steve Grogan was out at QB for NE, so our very own Matt Cavanaugh was starting that day. And wearing #12.

2) Phil Villapiano, former bad boy for the Raiders 70s teams, was finishing up his career at LB for Buffalo.

3) And...#55, starting ILB for the Buffalo Bills was none other than everyone's favorist defensive coordinator, Jim Haslett. The Bills were playing a 3-4 with Fred Smerlas at NT. He was one of the best 3-4 NTs of that time.

After this game, I'm going to decide to watch either the 1982 AFCCG (Chargers/Bengals in subzero weather) or the 1984 AFCCG (Steelers/Dolphins Dan Marino).

Some really interesting old games that I had forgotten about.

Archived